SONGS YOU REALLY LIKE THAT ARE COMPLETELY OUTSIDE OF YOUR NORMAL TASTE.

ReverendRevolver

Friend of Leo's
My "normal taste" swings wide: punk, rockabilly, grunge, rock, pre90s County, 90s and earlier rap, delta blues, classic rock, normal metal, post hardcore/scream, not to mention sub genres.....
So random things I like outside that wheelhouse are some ragtime, Hawaiian style steel guitar, and a smattering of pop and disco songs. What's not to like about Gloria Gainors voice in I will Survive? I made my bass player laugh last practice by singing the first verse and chorus au capella while the drummer was swapping shells around. I've mentioned in similar threads that I loved covering pop and rap songs with my punk band years back (we did just like a pill by pink, just a friend by biz maquis) and my alt rock band covered colt 45 by Afro Man(I've played to bigger crowds, but my front man/singer bragging rights are singing that song in a small bar with 50 people really into it, with 2 ex girlfriends, a current girlfriend, and my mother all present....)
If I do any of that stuff with the Psychobilly band, gonna have to get really creative and do disco or something pop I can turn scary.

I'm not awfully fond of rock music, but I like this one- possibly because it's actually rock and roll

The dude playing the squier strat has the most rockabilly long hair I've seen in ages. I just try to look like Scott Hall and call it good enough, but he has a pompedor and a pony tail. Link Ray would be proud?

elihu

Doctor of Teleocity
I like this one...great song, great chorus, great vid. It's exuberant!

mexicanyella

Friend of Leo's
What's my 'normal taste'? I either like it or I don't, no matter the genre.

This just seems like an "Oh look, I'm quirky" post.
Maybe, or this ^^^ is a “oh look, I’m super open-minded” post.

No shame either way; I myself have erred in both directions on that one. And continue to, I’m sure.

In any case this has been a fun thread that has exposed me to some music I didn’t know about!

Guithartic

Tele-Holic
It has got to feel weird to be singing "we're the kids in America" when you're in your late 50s/early 60s.
When I saw the Who a couple months ago, I was hoping they would do My Generation, but they didn’t. I think it would’ve worked.

thunderbyrd

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
i don't know exactly what my normal taste is, but i remember that i really liked ABBA from the 1st tme i heard them. i also like everything i've heard from Taylor Swift, but i don't really know her songs.

Wrighty

Poster Extraordinaire
The Clash, not even on my radar ‘til this came along. Have to admit though, it was the video that caught my eye initially, didn’t even have the sound turned up!

T-bone Ted

Tele-Meister

This song caught my ear when I was a youngster!
The mystique behind the song & the artist is compelling. Bobbie Gentry seemingly came out of nowhere with this gem and everything she did and touched was a huge success! I have read what little is known about her and she has accomplished many things at the highest levels, but never relished the limelight. She is quite a mystery!

BTW- I primarily listen to rock, blues, Motown & classical music.