Songs you like better than the artist's "big" hit.

jbmando

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
Here are a few of my favorites which fit this category.

"Canned Ham" by Norman Greenbaum
"Just What the Doctor Ordered" by Ted Nugent
"Jailbreak" by Thin Lizzy
"Victim of Love" by The Eagles
"Love is Alive" by Gary Wright

I'll probably think of some more.

JL_LI

Poster Extraordinaire
CHVRCHES never had a “big hit”. That’s probably why I can’t get enough of them.

ReverendRevolver

Friend of Leo's
Sublime-Seed

Nirvana-Love Buzz, Singapore of a Gun, Francis Farmer, Sappy, breed, drain you, serve the servants, been a son. Frankly, I haven't like most of thier hits since I was about 13.

Meat Puppets-roof with a hole

Black Crowes- jealous again, stare it cold

Ramones- needles and pins, cretin hop, she talks to rainbows

White stripes- the truth doesn't make a noise

Jimi-castles made of sand

Ozzy- goodbye to romance

Often, great songs aren't inherently the most hit prone.

Double Stop

Tele-Holic
"Under The Milky Way" by The Church comes to mind. It's a brilliant song, indeed, and that was their "mega hit", but they've got a huge body of work that 90% of the world just have never heard. Actually, I prefer just about every other track on the "Starfish" album. Some of the best atmospheric guitar textures ever recorded, courtesy of Marty Willson-Piper and Peter Koppes. Just a brilliant band. At least 16+ albums into their career, every album sounds different from the previous one yet still sounds like them.

Last edited:

green_henry

Tele-Meister
Gold Supporter
Not that Radiohead has a lot of hits, but I like a lot of the non-singles on the earlier albums (Pablo Honey, The Bends, OK Computer) more than the singles (Creep, High and Dry, Karma Police).

Moonraker5

Tele-Meister
"Under The Milky Way" by The Church.

Hmmm. That's an interesting choice. Is it possible that because you've heard "Milky Way" soooo many times it has clouded your judgment of the song?

I have a number of Church albums, and, yes, there sure are some brilliant tunes on those albums, but I really do think the boys hit it out of the park with "Milky Way." It truly is one of the greatest songs in popular music.

(I must add, if it weren't for the silly lyrics and an insanely stupid chorus, "Business Woman" would be The Church's best tune. My God, the music during the verses is pure heaven.)

(And "Constant In Opal" also gives "Milly Way" a run for the money. But because of its far too esoteric lyrics, "Constant In Opal" falls behind "Under The Milky Way.")

Last edited:

Double Stop

Tele-Holic
Hmmm. That's an interesting choice. Is it possible that because you've heard "Milky Way" soooo many times it has clouded your judgment of the song?

I have a number of Church albums, and, yes, there sure are some brilliant tunes on those albums, but I really do think the boys hit it out of the park with "Milky Way." It truly is one of the greatest songs in popular music.

(I must add, if it weren't for the silly lyrics and a weak chorus, "Business Woman" would be The Church's best tune. My God, the music during the verses is pure heaven.)
I first heard "Under the Milky Way" on MTV since that video was on heavy rotation around that time, circa 1988. That and "Reptile" would be the songs you'd always hear on 'Modern Rock" stations at the time.

But no, it wasn't because I've heard it too many times, but quite the contrary. When I first heard the song I thought it was pretty different and quite unique, but not enough to prompt me to buy any of their albums or even piqued my interest in exploring anything else by them. It wasn't until about maybe 10-12 years ago that one day I just randomly thought to myself, "What ever happened to that "Milky Way" band?" It was only then that I rediscovered them and basically did a deep dive into everything they ever released up to that point.

I did the same exact thing with Simple Minds, much to my delight.

It's funny you mention "Business Woman", though. Steve Kilbey considers it the worst song he ever wrote and wishes he had never recorded it in the first place.

rawgerpaper

TDPRI Member
John Mayer - Not Myself
Better than Mayer's Wonderland haha

Beach Boys - Darlin'
Jackson 5 - Darling Dear
Ponderosa Twins - You Send Me

Marvin Gaye - Come Live With Me Angel
This song is so underrated and deserves more attention that it crosses disco and soul in a time where soul music is much more dominant.

Moonraker5

Tele-Meister
It's funny you mention "Business Woman", though. Steve Kilbey considers it the worst song he ever wrote and wishes he had never recorded it in the first place.

I've read so many stories about that song. You just added another: Kilbey says its his worst. Another story I heard was the boys deliberately wrote the stupid lyrics just to piss off the record company. I don't know what the truth is behind that song, but I do know it's musical brilliance is inversely matched by its lyrical vapidness. Shame, really.

Nogoodnamesleft

Tele-Holic
Silver Supporter
Everything on Zenyatta Mondatta except for ‘De Do Do Do De Da Da Da’ and ‘Don’t Stand So Close To Me’. Seriously, the rest of that record is fantastic.