Songs Worth a Guitar

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Steerforth, Jul 13, 2020.

1. Steerforth

Steerforth Friend of Leo's

I have a Gibson Custom Shop reproduction of the 1963 Gibson Dove.

The reason that I have it is because I did a cover of Alan Jackson’s, “Wanted” and when Mrs. Steerforth heard it, she liked it so much that she ordered the Dove and presented it to me.

I hadn’t necessarily been looking to acquire a Dove, but madame decided that I had to have one after hearing me do, “Wanted”. She remembered it as the guitar that Alan played in the music video for the song.

Do you own any guitars that you bought (or that were bought for you) due to one particular song?

2. ReverendRevolver

ReverendRevolver Tele-Afflicted

The first guitar I bought new, which was in 2003ish, when I was 13 or 14, was arguably bought to make me look cooler while playing crazy train. It was an ESP V-100.
    It apparently worked, since the first time I played it out (the following year, at a friend's party) it netted me a girlfriend.

Other than that, theres always been a general sound I wanted to make when i bought stuff.

Congratulations on the Dove!
    And on the observant wife.

Steerforth likes this.
  3. Steve Holt

Steve Holt Tele-Afflicted

I can't say I've done that... But how about a picture worth a guitar

zqbFT4a.jpg Resized_20170620_232330.jpeg

Steerforth likes this.
  4. Jakedog

Jakedog Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I had to learn “Ripple” by the Grateful Dead. It was for some random girl I met in the woods. But she was super cute and I was super smitten, and she said she’d marry me if I learned it. This was all literally in the first minute we ever met each other.

There’s a lot more to the story, and it didn’t happen right that minute, but September will be our 23rd anniversary, and she’s made it possible for me to buy a great many guitars. Last fall was the first time she’s ever bought me one as a gift. She did it without any input from me about what I liked or wanted, and without my knowing about it. She just did it, out of the blue. Because she thought I’d like it. It’s a limited edition Grateful Dead D’Angelico DC. And I love it.

5. ping-ping-clicka

ping-ping-clicka Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

you mean other than an instrument to play these "I been down so long it looks like up to me dirty a$$ blues?"
    nah man, I now play mostly when something is troubling me, swirling around chewing on my insides, when I feeling like a man that lives his life in a hole the ground , I pick it up and just play not thinking about the what I'm playing and usually I feel better when I put it down.
    I do use the guitar for cooling me.

Steerforth likes this.
  6. Steerforth

Steerforth Friend of Leo's

Well worth learning, “Ripple” then! I do the song now and then myself.

Early congratulations on your upcoming anniversary (and the D’Angelico DC)!

Jakedog likes this.
  7. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

My Dad once gave me an Ibanez “gypsy jazz” guitar when I was a young Django-nut.
    My Dad played violin and we tried a few tunes like Tiger Rag and Minor Swing.
    It wasn’t a “proper” gypsy jazz guitar, but it looked cool, and was a kind and thoughtful gift.
    To be fair, I wasn’t a real gypsy jazz player.
    Nice memory from 40-odd years ago.
    I was a lucky pup.

8. Brian J.

Brian J. Tele-Afflicted

I bought my first good guitar a white 73 fender strat with a rosewood board used in 1982 because of Ritchie Blackmore

ReverendRevolver and Steerforth like this.
  9. Tonetele

Tonetele Poster Extraordinaire

I bought a Japanese model Epiphone as the Sones and Beatles used the originals and Paul McCartney played a Texan on "Yesterday".It was a really good acoustic and, I believe all solid woods ( anyone here please correct me if wrong) I got it at age 17 in 1973 and sold it in my early 30s to buy a water heater for the family home. played many gigs with it, Tequila Sunrise" many times .

10. stxrus

stxrus Poster Extraordinaire

No, I can’t say I have. It’s an interesting idea though

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.