Songs With Weak-Sounding Lead Breaks

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by cc50fralin, Mar 8, 2019.

1. StrangerNY

StrangerNY Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

I love Teles played clean and Les Pauls into Marshalls, and I play both depending on the situation. I don't find drudgery in any of it.

- D

t guitar floyd likes this.
  2. Telecasterless

Telecasterless Friend of Leo's

Here's a subtle different twist: I have heard many folks (friends and forums) criticize Andy Summer's solo on So Lonely, for both the sound and the solo itself.

But to me, I think it is a genius disjointed thing of beauty and the thin screaming Tele (I'm assuming it's that, and not his Yamaha or Ibanez or whatever his other guitar is) is perfect for the track.

tomkatf and AAT65 like this.
  3. Bergy

Bergy Tele-Holic

Some of those Jimmy Page solos are rough!

It doesn’t sound bad, but I wish the guitar solo in “Tennessee Whiskey” would have matched the intensity levels of the vocal performance bein given. That style kinda begs for it.

4. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

the lick and solo in Its too late is fantastic... you can SING IT. It is THAT musical.

Travellin man? what?

I guess the song I think the solo was weak was on Pablo Cruise's 'Whacha Gonna Do' could have been better.

5. sonicsmitty

sonicsmitty Tele-Holic

And it's got a really screaming guitar part by James Gurley.

6. stratoman1

stratoman1 Friend of Leo's

For me it has to be Aerosmith, Love In An Elevator. The whole song reeks of awful to me but the guitar tones just hit me wrong. Thin, jangly, just all around not pleasing to my ears

I'm on my phone right now so I cant link a vid. I know it's possible But for other people Not me

nocastermike likes this.
  7. Digital Larry

Digital Larry Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

Nothing to cross reference but back in the 80s I saw SRV and Jeff Beck in Oakland. At the end of SRV's set, Carlos Santana comes out. They obviously gave Carlos one of SRV's spare amps to play through, and god knows how it was set up. Carlos gives a big flourish as though to play one of his trademark sustaining forever notes, and it goes "plink". The crowd goes wild anyway. A few more "plink plink plink" it doesn't change. It's too late to worry about it. The crowd doesn't care. Plink plink plink. Thank you goodnight!

8. sudogeek

sudogeek Tele-Meister

Sure, any song I’ve ever played.

t guitar floyd and getbent like this.
  9. noquarter1983

noquarter1983 TDPRI Member

Any Metallica song (minus the handful that Hetfield played lead) :D

10. smsuryan

smsuryan Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

"Yankee Rose" by DLR...sounds like its building to this unhinged solo and then it just kinda
    stops into a bass break...i love Billy Sheehan but c'mon, i was expecting a screamer, especially with Vai on board.

11. cc50fralin

cc50fralin Tele-Holic

Ok, everyone, a very good discussion so far.

Many varying opinions and points of view, and I've learned a few things.

Rather than start a new thread, since we've got a good crowd here already, I'd like to digress slightly.

What do you all think of this solo?

It's by John McLean, who played a lot with Patricia Barber.

I think it's both strange to the max, yet brilliant.

Only a very good player could pull this off.

What do you think? Solo starts at 1:50.

Yes, I'm a beat nick jazz guy. :p

Mike

12. paulo6

paulo6 Tele-Meister

Really? I've always thought that was a great solo! Great tone and you can sing along to it. Far better than anything he's done in the Stones

brookdalebill and t guitar floyd like this.
  13. stratoman1

stratoman1 Friend of Leo's

14. willie ray

willie ray Tele-Meister

heyaaa,just watched that second 'hot blooded' video...
    was someone playing a guitar....looked like a great solo to me....

StrangerNY likes this.
  15. ASATKat

ASATKat Friend of Leo's

Wow, this thread shows how taste in amp tone has changed (and hasn't changed).

Jimi showed the world a guitar could be a massive overdriven monster, it was a sound that captured the guitar players much like how the Beatles captured the world. The problem was that people couldn't play like Jimmy and an overdriven amp can easily sound out of control,,,,, then the distortion pedal came on the scene and boom, everyone could get heavy Jimi like tone (sort of), and the young rocking guitarists embraced, enhanced it, modified it, and the tone was sculpted into what would be called metal. Etc,,,

When I hear some posters saying Burton's tone and Jourma's tone were awful tones, tgat makes me think that these posters have played, owned, and lusted over older small amp tone, like the tone of James Burton and Big Bros tone, just guitar cord amp. Mike Bloomfield's tone is also a coveted tone highly sought in newer botique amps. In fact 75% (roughly) of the boutique market is for those smaller revisioned amps.

Not everyone knows that many of Jimmy Page tones were those classic small amps. But because sex sells Jimmy had to go out on stage with a wall of Marshalls to sell the wall of sound image and visually it worked, but the live Marshall tone never got the tones right. This wasn't Jimmy's fault, he had people telling him about "the" image not "his" image, Jimmy would have played those gigs with mic'd up small amps, 'cause Jimmy understood great guitar tone!!!

My point is, perhaps you guys need to explore this earlier time of small tube amps and their most amazing tones??? Maybe put the od's and distortion on your top shelf and get to ubderstand why small amp overdrive/distortions are overwhelmingly considered the best.

Ps,,, I was at the Filmore West the first time Black Sabbath played America. All I can say is my friends went into the show not knowing the band, in fact the milder band called Love headlined. The show opened with The Jamesgang (my fave). My friends walked into the show as Hard Rockers as they were called, and they left 100% Metalheads, and this was before Metal as a word existed.

So, love your small amps and discover why they were always the sexiest amps.

Pss, I guess I'm saying Burton's and Jourma's tone was small amp great.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2019
    t guitar floyd likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.