Songs which feature the Fender Bass VI

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by Blazer, Dec 10, 2019.

1. Blazer

Blazer Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

[​IMG]
    Well, what can I say about this one? The word most often used to describe the Bass VI is "Misunderstood" the Bass VI wasn't the first baritone guitar but it was the one which on its initial release had a lot of bass players picking it up figuring it was a new of extended range instrument.

Only to find out that it actually isn't a Bass at all, it's a guitar tuned down an octave and many high profile players such as John Entwistle and Noel Redding gave up on the instrument altogether. And the Bass VI ended up not being made in all that large numbers and soldiered on until the mid seventies, when it was discontinued.

But that doesn't mean that there wasn't any cool tunes where it was used. Let's start a list of songs where the Bass VI was used. First up, probably the earliest users of the instrument: the Tielman Brothers.

Note that they used their Bass VI's in two ways, one as a pure bass and the other as a low tuned twang machine.

And it was in the second role where the Bass VI found its niche as bands discovered that doubling guitar riffs on a Bass VI happened to sound completely bad ass.

Joe Perry said that he learned about the Bass VI when Peter Green mentioned it in an interview, after which he went "I'm going to have that sound for myself."

And the Low tuned Twang also added some real menace to a tune when used on its own, as many country players already knew thanks to their use of Danelectro baritone guitars. Imagine that sound finding its way onto the songs by a Glam rock band, but that's exactly what happened with Hank Knife and the Jets.

But it was in the hands of a disenfranchised English boy and his love for new wave bands such as Joy Division, that the Bass VI found its way into the eighties.

What Robert Smith is doing with his Bass VI is basically aping what Joy Division bass player Peter Hook did on his Shergold Marathon six string bass. But Smith added very intricate melodies to that sound.

But perhaps the most famous band to ever use the Bass VI must be the fab Four, where both George and John used it whenever Paul was on the piano or on guitar.
    [​IMG]
    It is John laying down this surprisingly funky bass line on this song.

2. VWAmTele

VWAmTele Friend of Leo's

3. thx712517

thx712517 Tele-Meister

Fretting out likes this.
  4. hekawi

hekawi Poster Extraordinaire

VWAmTele, Teleguy61 and Fretting out like this.
  5. That Cal Webway

That Cal Webway Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

"Dance, Dance, Dance"

Intro and throughout

The Beach Boys- prolly Glen Campbell

6. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

Peter told me he played a baritone on this track... not sure which brand, he never said... it's more obvious in the last 1/3 of the track..

7. David Barnett

David Barnett Doctor of Teleocity

Shane Fontayne played lead on Bass VI to good effect in Lone Justice, Merchants of Venus, and with Bruce Springsteen.

8. Rufus

Rufus Tele-Afflicted

According to the Wrecking Crew (of which Glen had been a member before his solo career), while recording this song in the studio, they didn't yet know what they were going to do for the middle break.
    Glen borrowed Carol Kaye's Bass VI and quickly laid down that classic solo.
    A beautiful Jimmy Webb tune and probably one of the most iconic solos of all time.

getbent and smartsoul72 like this.
  9. WingedWords

WingedWords Tele-Holic

Bassman8 likes this.
  10. rze99

rze99 Poster Extraordinaire

Great informative thread. I’ve never even seen one. Maybe time for a MIM re release? I’d love to give one a go, though hard to see preferring it over what I have I could see it would be a lot of fun experimenting.

11. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Poster Extraordinaire

squier do a perfectly fine bass VI

Lake Placid Blue likes this.
  12. Fretting out

Fretting out Tele-Afflicted

I don’t know what you do in your real life but you always have very interesting almost journalistic threads

And I see you have the tielman brothers which never broke over here in the us but apparently they and indo-rock were huge in the Netherlands I learned about them on the offset forum because they were famous for adding 3 extra strings to there jazzmasters and it’s a common mod to see holes plugged on jazzmasters coming from Europe
    I didn’t know they played a bass six though

You can tell the tielmans are playing early ones not just by when it was filmed but by the metal surrounds on the pickups

Last edited: Dec 11, 2019
  13. rze99

rze99 Poster Extraordinaire

Thanks I wondered that. Maybe I’ll take a look and see if it’s a thing for me.

Lake Placid Blue likes this.
  14. AAT65

AAT65 Friend of Leo's

I saw Thurston Moore on tour a couple of months ago: Moore and his co-guitarist James Sedwards were each playing vintage Fender Electric XIIs and bass player Deb Goodge was playing a Squier Bass VI.

15. WingedWords

WingedWords Tele-Holic

16. ping-ping-clicka

ping-ping-clicka Tele-Holic

who is this guy ? I'm embarrassed just watching this , jeeeezy queeeezzy!

hmmm tuned to open d or open g and do some Mark Sandman / John Cale slide bass;)
    Djent ? hmmmmm

Last edited: Dec 11, 2019
  17. Blazer

Blazer Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

That was Vinnie Bell playing on that one, which means that it wasn't a Bass VI but a Danelectro Baritone he used to record. And you can tell since it had that typical Dano "Ping" from its lipstick pickups.
    [​IMG]
    Which is also why I didn't name "Because they're young" by Duane Eddie and "Five years, four months, three days" by Brian Setzer, since those songs also use the Dano.

18. EsquireBoy

EsquireBoy Tele-Holic

I cannot find the link right now, but I remember an interview where Angelo Badalamenti stated it was not a bass vi or even a baritone, but a synth in the Twin Peaks tune.
    Anyway it’s a great tone and a great song for sure!

19. thx712517

thx712517 Tele-Meister

Behold the manic energy of Phil X. He did a ton of guitar playing for Fretted Americana, going wild on all sorts of stringed glory. Session guitarist, played one of the Bon Jovi tours, nice guy. Acquired taste.

ping-ping-clicka likes this.
  20. ping-ping-clicka

ping-ping-clicka Tele-Holic

OH, i DIDN'T CALL HIM BAD NAMES OR CASTE ASPERSIONS....
    I indicate that I was embarrassed, you know "the cringies, , wanna jump up and move, and his talent as a live performer is not in question , I just thought "he must be doing a parody of the presenter that gets in front of a podcast camera and turns into Pauly Shore ,who once I got his shtick I was entertained , You will notice I never invited him to my house or our annual rattlesnake cull.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.