Songs that you didn't appreciate when they were new

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Yonatan, May 22, 2020.

1. elihu

elihu Poster Extraordinaire

She really has an intimate quality to her voice that draws the listener in. I can only imagine her singing jazz ballads or show tunes with minimal backing- say Joe Pass or Bill Evans as reference points.

Paul G., Lawdawg and BigDaddyLH like this.
  2. Turtleneck

Turtleneck Tele-Meister

Muinarc, Lawdawg and brookdalebill like this.
  3. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity

I can "tolerate" H&O more nowadays, and those Live at Daryl's House things can be interesting, but I won't go out of my way seeking their early stuff out......I guess I haven't matured as much as I'd like to think.

Rowdyman, stevemc and brookdalebill like this.
  4. elihu

elihu Poster Extraordinaire

Sara Smile is brilliant. I wish I would have wrote that one (or could sing it like Daryl).

Last edited: May 22, 2020
  5. KW1977

KW1977 Tele-Meister

Y'know honestly Blur is a big one on my list too. I didn't necessarily dislike them during their heyday, but I definitely preferred other shoegaze/Britpop bands at the time. But in the past 5-6 years I've definitely aquired a HUGE appreciation for the songwriting and especially Graham Coxon's playing. Holy crap--so tasteful, weird, creative, classy.

On that note? I also have a renewed/deepened appreciation for Suede and their respective guitarists/songwriters as well. Bernard Butler certainly set the classic, brilliant tone but Richard Oakes kinda peed in his shoes a little as well.

There's something about how all three of those guitarists play that is utterly addicting to me. Instead of just banging out chords they add little staccato melodies within.

jman72, Modman68, AAT65 and 1 other person like this.
  6. Torren61

Torren61 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Easy Street

7. KW1977

KW1977 Tele-Meister

Better late than never! Honestly Bon Scott era AC/DC is what I regard as the definition of rock n' roll!

verb boten, Bill Sheehan and duzie like this.
  8. eddy b.

eddy b. TDPRI Member

The whole album, Signals by RUSH. Don’t get me wrong I wore it out on cassette and saw them on tour for it but lately on relistening to this album it just stands out as innovative and in some sense their magnum opus. I feel it’s like Axis Bold as Love by Hendrix in that all of that passion and ability to play really long songs just got crammed into this 5 minute masterpieces. The lyrical themes are still pertinent today and the new at the time technology doesn’t sound dated like so many other albums from this time period. RUSH!!!!!

NC E30, hoggy and AAT65 like this.
  9. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Most Ramones.

DonM and duzie like this.
  10. Yonatan

Yonatan Tele-Meister

Yes, that's exactly what I meant by this thread, you just stated it much more eloquently!

Thanks everyone for sharing.

telleutelleme and KW1977 like this.
  11. Old Plank

Old Plank Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Owner of a Lonely Heart .... I was like, what has happened to Yes?! It's still not a favorite but I appreciate it more now especially with the ear buds out in the yard.

nojazzhere and KW1977 like this.
  12. KW1977

KW1977 Tele-Meister

Deep Purple on a whole snuck past me. I'd heard all the hits and didn't care for a single one of them. Plus in hindsight I had a lingering distaste for Hammond Organ in classic rock songs.

It took hearing lesser known jams like Black Night & Into The Fire. Then hearing Coverdale/Hughes era stuff, especially the Burn album. And wow, what a fricken pedigree of vocalists!

13. Lawdawg

Lawdawg Tele-Afflicted

I'm not sure what it is, but almost all of my favorite guitarists of the past 30 - 50 years have been British. Beginning in the early 70s it seems like most American groups fell into a strict rhythm/lead dichotomy while so many great British players followed Jimi's lead and adopted more complex and unique styles that blended both and deviated wildly from traditional blues based rock model. This isn't exhaustive by any means but that's certainly the through line that connects these guys across wildly different genres:

Jimmy Page
    Andy Summers
    John McGeoch
    James Honeyman-Scott
    Johnny Marr
    John Squire
    Bernard Butler
    Graham Coxon

jman72 and ClashCityTele like this.
  14. KW1977

KW1977 Tele-Meister

Thank you!

On another slightly personal note I've noticed there's a pretty strong relation between your tastes shifting and life "wearing you down". Aka you enjoy that hard luck music a lot more than when you were a teenager and it sounded like something your Dad listened to. :lol:

verb boten likes this.
  15. KW1977

KW1977 Tele-Meister

YES! Agreed. Very similar story on my end. And the American guitarists I did like were always very left of the rhythm/lead center and somehow wrote their own language tastefully combining the two. Very much agree re; Andy Summers, Johnny Marr, and John Squire.

Also some folks from the more roots/rockabilly/Americana realm feature more prominently in my mind as well. All that tasteful picking that somehow managed to combine jazz, country, and blues into something much more eloquent(sans flame shirts and hot rods). I hail from the land of Gene Vincent & Cliff Gallup after all.

Lawdawg likes this.
  16. gimmeatele

gimmeatele Tele-Holic

Most pink floyd, it's only in last seven years I have begun to like their stuff!

KW1977 likes this.
  17. WingedWords

WingedWords Tele-Afflicted

In 1966 I was way way way too cool to like the Monkees...

Oh well.

DonM likes this.
  18. drmordo

drmordo Tele-Meister

As I age and become more devoted to songwriting, I appreciate the 60s and 70s pop songwriters more and more. Some of the songs I never paid attention to now strike me as pure genius.

I love the explanation of his songwriting process on this one.

Such a masterful arrangement. Bacharach's autobiography was great, and he explained that this song was written but for some reason never recorded until Alpert rediscovered it. Bacharach wrote the arrangement and the vocal was Alpert's first take.

A song about a man's romance with a bottle of Rosé wine. This version is incredibly triumphant, which I think is fascinating when you consider the lyrics.

The truth is I have always thought this song is incredible, but over time it just gets better and better. It's like three different brilliant pop songs combined.

One more Bacharach tune, but with a fresh interpretation that highlights the song's delicacy.

hoggy, DonM, KW1977 and 2 others like this.
  19. Work_in_progress

Work_in_progress TDPRI Member

Anything by Pearl Jam. But "Jeremy" in particular. I came out of the hair metal 80s scene and thought Pearl Jam was trash. Had to learn to appreciate what they were about.

Mad Kiwi and Bill Sheehan like this.
  20. Hari Seldon

Hari Seldon Tele-Meister

You were right.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.