Songs that were basically covers but with different lyrics and the originals.

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by Blazer, Mar 11, 2019.

1. jarpat

jarpat Tele-Meister

I always thought that this was just translated, but it really is a rip off. And this as well...

Tonetele likes this.
  2. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Friend of Leo's

Richie Valens “La Bamba” and the Beatles “Twist and Shout”

Oasis “Wonderwall” and Green Day “Boulevard of Broken Dreams” both have similarities to each other and Aerosmith’s “Dream On”

3. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Friend of Leo's

I’m too lazy to look it up, but Mr. Burnett also had a similarly-music’d song “Shake For Me,” famously covered by Stevie Vaughan before he remembered his middle name.

4. EllroyJames

EllroyJames Friend of Leo's

G-L-O-R-I-A !!!

5. basher

basher Tele-Afflicted

Elvis wanted to record "There's No Tomorrow" because it was set to "O Sole Mio" -- Elvis was apparently a big fan of Enrico Caruso -- but his publisher ended up commissioning "It's Now or Never" for him to record because of a dispute over the royalties.

"Surrender" is set to another Neopolitan song, "Torna A Surriento."

6. BlueEbenzer

BlueEbenzer TDPRI Member

The title made me laugh because there are, like, a dozen songs that I can name off the top of my head that follow C-D-G to a very similar beat and tempo. C-D-G is SO overused.

7. Misty Mountain

Misty Mountain Tele-Meister

Forgot about that one. You are correct!

8. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

"Twist and Shout" was an Isley Brother's song. I like to do a medley of "Twist and Shout," "Good Lovin'" and "La Bamba."

DonM and Chip like this.
  9. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

Not exact, but Phil Lesh said that this Fleetwood Mac song was the inspiration for the second song, Passenger.

Chip likes this.
  10. Chip

Chip Tele-Afflicted

Maybe this Neil Young song explains why so many people rip off other peoples songs....

And the song he borrowed...

11. ScubaGeek

ScubaGeek Tele-Meister

Actually, they don't have the same message. Sting said The Police song was about how some of the most enduring pop songs were things where the lyric (or at least the hook) were more or less gibberish (e.g. De Do Ran Ran, Na Na Hey Hey Kiss Him Goodbye, and Ça plane pour moi).

Sting said he thought it was funny that people tried to put some deep meanign to what the words to that song were about, but it was really just him saying sometimes words don't express what you want to say.

A few additions to the list:

Triumph's Too Much Thinking is essentially Neon Knights by Black Sabbath, but with different words

Sammy Hagar's Heavy Metal (as heard in the movie of the same name) borrows heavily from Queen's It's Late

Smells Like Teen Spirit (the Nirvana song) borrows heavily from Godzilla (the Blue Oyster Cult song)

Come As You Are (the Nirvana song) borrows it's riff from Eighties by Killing Joke (who even sued Nirvana over it)

The first time I saw Jethro Tull, Ian Anderson introduced the song We Used To Know by telling us that The Eagles stole the chord progression for Hotel California

Guns N Roses lifted the riff to Paradise City from a Black Sabbath song called Zero The Hero

Then there's Hello I Love You by The Doors, which was based on All Day And All Of The Night by The Kinks

There's an Emerson Lake And Palmer song called Tiger In The Spotlight, which seems to be based on a Beach Boys instrumental called Carl's Big Chance. I mean literally, Tiger In The Spotlight is literally the Beach Boys track, but with a vocal melody and lyrics.

And since the OP mentioned Prince, according to Jonathan Cain of Journey, Prince actually called him up and played Purple Rain for him, because Prince was concerned that it sounded too much like Faithfully.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2019
  12. ScubaGeek

ScubaGeek Tele-Meister

But wasn't Lawdy Mama a cover?

13. Larry F

Larry F Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

Intro to Whiter Shade of Pale is Bach's Air on a G String.
    The Toys' Lover's Concerto is also based on Bach.
    Love and Marriage was used for Campbell's ads Soup and Sandwich.
    Dust My Broom has a billion different titles, most of them by Elmore James.
    Lennon's Because is based on a reversed Moonlight Sonata (Beethoven).
    On Top of Old Smokey is the same tune as On Top of Spaghetti. (ha-ha)

Paul in Colorado likes this.
  14. ScubaGeek

ScubaGeek Tele-Meister

Or D-C-G, specifically the open position D-Cadd9-G/B progression. I don't how many songs that use that exact same descending progression:

More Than A Feeling
    Magic Power
    Tales Of Brave Ulysses
    White Room

It crops up also in Over The Hills And Far Away, but it's not actually an integral part of the song, as far as I remember.

And yes, in the two Cream songs (which do use the same chord progression), the G/B is followed by two more chords (Bb and C I think).

Last edited: Mar 15, 2019
    BlueEbenzer likes this.
  15. Larry F

Larry F Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

This sounds familiar.

16. ScubaGeek

ScubaGeek Tele-Meister

Not quite. It's based on the Minuet In G Major in the Notebook for Anna Magdalena Bach, but it's generally believed to have actually been composed by Christian Petzold.

Larry F likes this.
  17. BlueEbenzer

BlueEbenzer TDPRI Member

If we're talking about the same progressions only, then even Guns n' Roses' Sweet Child O' Mine uses the D- Cadd 9-G and so does Hard Sun by Peter Gordonson (I'm not gonna talk about the Eddie Vedder cover, because it's the same) also uses that progression. For D-Cadd9-G we also have all the Knockin' on Heaven's Door by Eric and Yesterdays also by Guns n' Roses. It's everywhere.

18. DonM

DonM Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Yeah, we always did ROCK in the USA to What I Like About You and La Bamba into Twist and Shout. And it kept them dancing.

19. Mad Kiwi

Mad Kiwi Friend of Leo's

I suspect having some money in the bank didn't hurt either! ;)

20. codamedia

codamedia Friend of Leo's

I'm glad none of you are judges in plagiarism cases :eek:

There is a big difference between "inspired by" and "a cover with different lyrics". For the thread title, most of the examples I see in this thread are a stretch of the imagination. You can't tie songs together by a chord pattern, a beat, or a single riff.

If the thread title was "what songs share something in common" this thread would be on topic, but "a cover with different lyrics"... IMO only a few examples qualify.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.