Songs that people request, but the lyric content is just... well...

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by getbent, Nov 2, 2018.

1. craigs63

craigs63 Tele-Holic

And now that's in your search history!

Harry Styron and E5RSY like this.
  2. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

of course we do!

3. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

We do "good cop, bad cop" on those kind of songs. The female vocalist tells the requester "the guitar player is the boss and he wont do it for less than $100". We got $50 for Mustang Sally once that way.

stevemc likes this.
  4. jackal

jackal Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

"Cocaine"----nice riff, good beat, but just can't do lyrics celebrating the drug. Even wrote different lyrics, doing a slam on "Propane", but still too many in the crowd were shouting cocaine during the song.

howardlo, radiocaster and E5RSY like this.
  5. Recce

Recce Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

About ten years ago during the summer Olympics they did a segment where they had Eric Clapton singing Wonderful Tonight while going back and forth between him singing and playing the song and the little pixie young gymnasts. It was purely creepy. He was sixty with greying hair and the girls looked like they may have just reached puberty. Yech.

6. Thorby Bislam

Thorby Bislam Tele-Afflicted

Dragging our minds away from underage sex for a minute ... my pet hate of a song is In The Summertime by Mungo Jerry. For 2 reasons.

First, "Have a drink, have a drive." Ok, it was written in early 70's when people had a different thinking about drink-driving. Back then having a skinfull and still being able to drive home was a matter of pride with a lot of young men. Decades of public health campaigns have changed things. While there's still a minority of offenders, drink-drivers are now (rightfully) considered the lowest of the low by just about everybody.
    I can get round this by replacing 'have' with 'or' making the line, "Have a drink or a drive," meaning you can do one or the other but not both. Tbh, most people do not notice the change unless I point it out.

But the biggest bugbear, the sticking point that gets ITS chucked on the reject pile is the line, "If her daddy's rich, take her out for a meal. If her daddy's poor, just do what you feel." What? How crass. How insensitive and disrespectful is that? Both to the young lady and her father. And how obnoxious must the singer be to change his behavior to her based on how much money her dad has. He's a grade A brown-noser and I want nothing to do with him, not even in a song.

stinkey, howardlo, Rowdyman and 3 others like this.
  7. Thorby Bislam

Thorby Bislam Tele-Afflicted

Right, back to underage sex, my band sometimes does You're Sixteen. Wow! Talk about perverts delight.
    In fairness, I should point out that we're all older guys and it's a song the other guys loved from their youth. Still makes me feel uncomfortable performing it though.
    I try to get around it by introducing it as, "Here's a song about an old guy reminiscing about how he met his wife many years ago" and ignoring the fact that it's in the present tense, not the past.

8. WetBandit

WetBandit Friend of Leo's

But that riff dude!!! That would be enough to get me to do it...

9. WetBandit

WetBandit Friend of Leo's

Now if you wanna go to jail just bust out with this solid gold oldie right here...

Tell me you could do that with a strait face and my face would get very acquainted with your butt...

Especially when that wonderfully horrible horn interlude takes hold... and you have a min to reflect on what you have just said on the mic and what you are about to say...

stevemc likes this.
  10. davidge1

davidge1 Friend of Leo's

You can't sing songs that don't fit your personality. Years ago I started a 3 piece band with myself on guitar and vocals, and a bass player and drummer. We were doing all vintage retro country songs, mainly uptempo songs. So we were like a rockabilly band doing country. But the other guys wanted to do songs that I just thought were so corny I couldn't see myself getting up onstage and singing them. This led to arguments and us finally breaking up without having gigged even once.

This was one of them... GREAT guitar playing by Chet Atkins, but otherwise such a dumb song:

11. Harry Styron

Harry Styron Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Gershon Lehman’s masterpiece, The Rationale of the Dirty Joke, contains a discussion of signifying and the dozens, which may contain helpful insights about sexual innuendo in Mustang Sally. He also discusses lewd banter from other cultures, including “billingsgate,” which developed among boatmen on the Thames.

This book is a folklorist’s compendium of a vast number of dirty jokes, with classification and analysis. Virtually every dirty joke I have ever heard is in the book, and many of them have been recorded for centuries in Arabic, Greek, and Latin texts, and modified through the ages.

12. getbent

jim ed always gave me the creeps.

13. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's

Then, there's Good Morning Little Schoolgirl.

14. Dave W

Dave W Friend of Leo's

15. Harry

Harry Tele-Meister

"She was just 17. If you know what I mean."

16. Dan German

Dan German Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Yeah, I just heard that tune last night for the first time; I was halfway listening, then that line popped out. I’m pretty sure I made a “buhhh” sound and looked at the radio like a puzzled dog.

17. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

My own lyrics to my originals at times make most everything else look like a boy scout manual

stevemc and Rowdyman like this.
  18. radiocaster

radiocaster Poster Extraordinaire

So the guitar was making sounds only throughout half of the song?

schmee likes this.
  19. getbent

so, if I have attended implicit bias training, does that mean I cannot enjoy J Geils "first I look at the purse"?

There will come an era when we take ourselves and others less seriously... I'm going to watch my diet (not fat shaming) and get plenty of sleep.. because... well, it would be fun to enjoy that!

20. E5RSY

E5RSY Doctor of Teleocity

Man, I hope you're right. Hopefully it starts right here at the good ol' TDPRI. If current conditions 'round here are a leading indicator, not too sure how hopeful I should be, though.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.