Songs that go on forever vs others that do, and should,...

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by 4pickupguy, Apr 6, 2019.

1. 4pickupguy

4pickupguy Poster Extraordinaire

Yes, ... which is too short for The Rolling Stones "Cant You Hear Me Knocking" in which the destination is 7 minutes and 15 seconds down the roughest road imaginable. "You Cant Always Get What You Want" is another 7 minutes 29 seconds down the same bumpy road on a skateboard. The irony of the title is not lost on lifes journey....
    "Miss You" however says what it needs to say at just the right length.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2019
    Magnum721 likes this.
  2. Dennyf

Dennyf Tele-Afflicted

Ahem. The title of the song is "Closer to Home."

3. Dennyf

Dennyf Tele-Afflicted

Too long: any hit by Fleetwood Mac. They all consist of nothing but a chorus which they repeat over and over and over and over and over and over and . . .

Bassman8 and 4pickupguy like this.
  4. 4pickupguy

It is? hmmm, who knew?

5. Telecasterless

Telecasterless Friend of Leo's

Manfred Mann's original long version of Blinded by the light is long. But another that goes in my "like" category, because I love the guitar solo.

Magnum721 and 4pickupguy like this.
  6. tap4154

tap4154 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I heard "I'm Your Captain" the other day for the first time in decades on Sirius "Classic Vinyl" and thought the same. It just kept going and going and going, for no valid reason. If Freebird comes on I change the channel.

But this one could go another 10 minutes IMHO

Moriarty, 2 Headed Goat and edvard like this.
  7. Knowcaster

Knowcaster Tele-Holic

Light My Fire...not because of too many verses, but that long organ/guitar solo middle section goes on FOREVER!

Magnum721, Bruxist and 4pickupguy like this.
  8. jman72

jman72 Tele-Afflicted

A couple of years ago, the family and I were on a road trip and we each got to take turns picking songs. The running joke with my kids was picking Xanadu by Rush (clocking in at just over 11 minutes) so you got your money's worth. So, if you are a Rush fan like me, it is just right! If you're my wife...way too long.:p

4pickupguy likes this.
  9. Bassman8

Bassman8 Tele-Meister Gold Supporter

I recall some of the Police songs had long endings, repeating the chorus over and over. "Layla" has been mentioned but "Why Does Love Got to Hurt so Bad"? is a little long after it slows down as well. Hmm, what else? The long version of Tommy James and Shondells "Crimson and Clover" is just a little too long in the guitar solos before it comes back (very nicely) to the chorus and fade. I guess on a bigger scale, is Chicago's album version of "I'm a Man" after if fades into the all-percussion part at the end. Like the others, I love the song it just seems to run a little long. "Light My Fire was mentioned and always felt the organ solo was a little long. I wouldn't change a thing about the guitar solo though except either turn it up or turn the organ down. The white noise ending on "She's so Heavy" gets a little long. I love all these songs the way they are though; just being picky.

4pickupguy likes this.
  10. Bruxist

Bruxist Friend of Leo's

Not long enough:

You Never Give Me Your Money by the Beatles

Too Long:

You Can't Always Get What You Want by the Rolling Stones

Rev Rhythm and 4pickupguy like this.
  11. 4pickupguy

Yes’s “Your Move/I’ve Seen All Good People” is one, that IMO is fine at north of 6 minutes... even if the modulating keys is a bit excessive..

Speaking of excessive modulating keys at the end of a song.. “These Eyes” by The Guess Who (or possibly Steppenwolf) is one that is too long.

Bruxist likes this.
  12. ScubaGeek

ScubaGeek Tele-Meister

Actually, the album version is only 4:52. And I'm fine with it that way, because if you were gonna cut anything from that song, the first thing to go, I'm sure, would be Burton Averre's awesome guitar solo. Yeah, it's a long solo for a "pop song", but it's a good long solo.

There's a lot of songs where they repeat the chorus way too many times. It's like shut up and play a guitar solo or cut to the coda now! I'm a huge of the Grateful Dead's 1972-1974 era, but one short coming during this period was when they'd stretch Casey Jones out to five minutes or more, simply by putting too many chorus repeats in. It's like Jerry kept forgetting to give the band the cue to end the song or something. My goodness! Hey Jude falls into this category too. There's no reason it needs to be 7 minutes long. I mean, they could have put a guitar solo in there, but instead we just get endless repeats of that wordless vocal riff.

And I'm sorry,b ut some of Bob Dylan's songs go on for way too long, also. I mean does Like A Rolling Stone really need to be six minutes long?! The Byrds were right to cut Mr. Tambourine Man down to one verse, because that's all the song really needed.

Bruxist and 4pickupguy like this.
  13. edvard

edvard Tele-Afflicted

Yes! And I always thought the "Presence" album should have the sides swapped, at least that's always how I had it recorded on tape to listen to on my Walkman. Umm... that statement just made me feel old...

Am I the only one who actually likes Freebird, and especially the over-the-top-goes-on-forever solo at the end? Though I do admit I can only hear it once a month at the most...

Anything by Janis Joplin goes on too long. Go on, fight me...

14. 2 Headed Goat

2 Headed Goat Tele-Afflicted

Ha - great minds think alike ;) I was going to post this LZ tune and was thinking the same thing about it. Re IYC... yikes....that's truly horrid.

15. radiocaster

radiocaster Poster Extraordinaire

A couple of seconds of that is too long. Last time I heard it on the radio I had to change stations, and at least twice because of the length.

RodeoTex likes this.
  16. omahaaudio

omahaaudio Friend of Leo's

4pickupguy likes this.
  17. DougM

DougM Friend of Leo's

How about any live version of Dark Star by the Dead that goes on for 45 minutes or more, complete with a 20 minute drum solo by Mickey Hart.

18. codamedia

codamedia Friend of Leo's

Well... this one depends on what part of the song you like. For me the best part of the song is the "nearly" 2 minute solo... it is so well done I have no problems with it. BUT - AM Radio cut the vast majority of the solo out, leaving a 3:30 POP song without the best part.

IMO, they should have released the guitar solo as a single :D

boop and 4pickupguy like this.
  19. 4pickupguy

Wow, that was starting to get brutal around hour seven :(. The last three hours were kind of a blank... It still seems shorter than “ You Cant Always Get What You Want” though....

20. beninma

beninma Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Contrast all this with all modern pop/country where practically the whole song is just the "hook" repeated forever.

It's like the whole song is chorus. I think it's gotten way worse than anything classic.. even when the modern songs are only 2 minutes.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.