Songs full of "whoah oh whoah oh whoah oh oh whoah..."

Primo Don

Tele-Meister
OP, I feel ya. There's a lot annoying to me about modern, "young" music if you will, and the inane (great word) vocalization is the tip of the iceberg for me. I think it has a lot to do with the audience participation live, as mentioned above.

Also annoying to me are the overtly sexual lyrics, why does a song with 12 unique words need 16 writers (what did the last 4 writers write?), the gratuitous melisma (just sing the [email protected] anthem), not to mention the lack of creativity in song structure or chord progression. Yes, I know all that I'm saying can be demonstrated in music that is decades old but it wasn't the norm like it seems to be today.

It's a double-edged sword that we all have the ability to get music out there commercially from the comfort of a humble home studio (or laptop) but that means not-so-great music has the ability to catch fire w Tik-tokers and enter the common canon. Look up "millennial whoop."

\rant

soundcloset

Tele-Meister
"And I know, I know, Iknow, I know, I know I know..."
Okay, in this case he forgot the lyrics and was filling, and it worked so they kept it. Not on purpose.
There's a worship song with like seventeen repetitions of "There's no God like Jehovah..." and I'm glad it's on the wane at my church. Bleh. Otherwise it's a decent song, but repeating a phrase doesn't make it more true after like, once or twice maybe. It becomes an emotional noise rather than a meaningful statement.

Ron Likes Teles

TDPRI Member
Let me be frank: I can't stand this crap.

You know what I'm talking about, right? Songs that fill every available space with inane vocalizations. Usually it's "whoah oh whoah oh oh...whoah oh oh oh" or some idiotic variation on that. It typically sounds like there's several people vocalizing this pap.

I think it's a fairly recent development in "pop music," and seems to be the signature sound of music favored by millennials. All I can figure is that they couldn't come up with lyrics to fill the space, nor could they come up with interesting musical fills.

I can't think of any specific song to give as an example because I'm not lame enough to actually seek this crap out. However, I was was just subjected to about an hour of this garbage at work the other day and I had to vent.

Is it just me, or does this annoy anyone else?
Lol, you just described most Coldplay songs. Also, the Boss has been known to throw out a few "whoa-whoa-whoas" back in the day.

Twangsalot

TDPRI Member

You know what I'm talking about, right? Songs that fill every available space with inane vocalizations. Usually it's "whoah oh whoah oh oh...whoah oh oh oh" or some idiotic variation on that. It typically sounds like there's several people vocalizing this pap.

I think it's a fairly recent development in "pop music," and seems to be the signature sound of music favored by millennials. All I can figure is that they couldn't come up with lyrics to fill the space, nor could they come up with interesting musical fills.

I can't think of any specific song to give as an example because I'm not lame enough to actually seek this crap out. However, I was was just subjected to about an hour of this garbage at work the other day and I had to vent.

That ‘crap’ has been around since Bill Haley and the Comets. It’s gotten worse. On it is often the verse of the song.

OneEyedDog

Tele-Meister
I realise the original post may have been sent a little 'tongue in cheek' but.....

Chill out, guys. If you don't like it, tune it out. Personally I cannot abide opera, so...... I just don't listen to it. but I understand there are folks out there who live and breathe opera.

By the way, is anyone seriously going to disrespect 'The Great Gig in the Sky'? C'mon!!

Just saying.

Jazzerstang

Tele-Afflicted

AMEN BROTHER. It’s called the millennial whoop. It is absolutely destroying music. It’s horrible. It’s rampant throughout advertising and other crap that current society wants us to consume. I hate it soooo much that I just mute any advertising I come across.

Last edited:

Jazzerstang

Tele-Afflicted
A lot of Misfits songs contain heavy doses of Woah-oh-oh.

This is definitely an exception. Glenn was just echoing some of the doo-wop and rock&roll vocalizations from the 50s. It is used in context with lots of other layers of sound and lyrics and whatnot. Otherwise, the millennial whoop is killing everything.

Last edited:

Allen3k

TDPRI Member
Sadly I spent too much time considering the issue. First decided I wanted to write songs that didn't use the vowels filler technique. Then thought maybe trying to write hits and selling out was more important than my personal bent or creative differences. Then asking why they are hits = dumbing down a song so the audience or car pool can have at least one verse they can sing along with ? Or maybe something parents and their kids can bond with ? and (royalties) make a song a hit and memorable across generations ? Getting that loop stuck in someone's mind helps them make it through a boring day ? Keeping music trivia game shows viable ? Finally decided I might do half of my songs with vowel hooks and half strictly intellectual verses. Fight the power of what works - maybe. Wish me luck uk-uk-uk-uk in the echo chamber of the mind.

Last edited:

OneOcean

TDPRI Member
Journey has a few of these. I like the whoaaa whoaas and great Strat tones in 'Lights.' And then there's the build up to the sing-along Naaa naa na naa na na coda in Lovin, Touchin' Squeezin'.