Songs full of "whoah oh whoah oh whoah oh oh whoah..."

chulaivet1966

Friend of Leo's
And when they do those songs live, the "whoah oh whoah" parts are when the band encourages "audience participation". Imagine a whole theater full of people making that racket. .

I totally agree with the OP but that cute habit above is just the worst....totally embarrassing.

But...that's just me. :)

Have a great day all....

Last edited:

sloppychops

Tele-Afflicted
From what I've read, my impression that it's become widely used (misused) mostly in the past few years has been confirmed. I don't listen to today's "pop" music (the kind played on mainstream radio), but whenever I hear it (like in a store or something), it all seems to have the same "whoop" thing going on. Which is why I think of it as a fairly recent phenomenon, although I acknowledge some musical precedent.

Here's a really cringeworthy compilation, with an explanation:

chris m.

Doctor of Teleocity
From what I've read, my impression that it's become widely used (misused) mostly in the past few years has been confirmed. I don't listen to today's "pop" music (the kind played on mainstream radio), but whenever I hear it (like in a store or something), it all seems to have the same "whoop" thing going on. Which is why I think of it as a fairly recent phenomenon, although I acknowledge some musical precedent.

Here's a really cringeworthy compilation, with an explanation:

Great analysis. I think the Indy Girl Voice affectation is far worse. Put the two together and I puke.

Charlie Bernstein

Poster Extraordinaire
My songs are 100% inane vocalization.

Louis Armstrong invented scat single-handedly when he dropped the lyrics on the floor while recording this:

It turned into a jazz craze.

Skyhook

Tele-Afflicted
I'm glad the Millennial Whoop got mentioned because that thing is often accompanied by a lot of whoa ohs. Mr. Wikipedia(dang, he writes a fine book) says: "The millennial whoop is a vocal melodic pattern alternating between the fifth and third notes in a major scale, typically starting on the fifth, in the rhythm of straight 8th-notes, and often using the "wa" and "oh" syllables.[1] It was used extensively in 2010s pop music.". Now... I'm not here to vilify the Millennial Whoop... It can be a powerful tool if used correctly, and as we all know that's a big if right there. You can make that stuff terrifyingly anthemic... OR... you could just slap some auto-tuned whoa ohs over some dry drum samples with a two-note bassline made of electronic farts. You know.. what ever's your poison. :)

MarshallHeart

Tele-Afflicted
Let me be frank: I can't stand this crap.

You know what I'm talking about, right? Songs that fill every available space with inane vocalizations. Usually it's "whoah oh whoah oh oh...whoah oh oh oh" or some idiotic variation on that. It typically sounds like there's several people vocalizing this pap.

I think it's a fairly recent development in "pop music," and seems to be the signature sound of music favored by millennials. All I can figure is that they couldn't come up with lyrics to fill the space, nor could they come up with interesting musical fills.

I can't think of any specific song to give as an example because I'm not lame enough to actually seek this crap out. However, I was was just subjected to about an hour of this garbage at work the other day and I had to vent.

Is it just me, or does this annoy anyone else?

that's a typical 80s thing...Bon Jovi,Def Leppard,Hair Metal etc.
These days they often steal from that decade, because they run out of ideas...