1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Songs by favourite artists that are pretty much universally disliked but that you still kinda like

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by srblue5, Dec 1, 2020.

1. srblue5

srblue5 Tele-Meister

Are there songs by your favourite artist(s) that are pretty much universally reviled but you can't help but kind of like them anyway? Maybe as a guilty pleasure?

Paul Simon "Cars are Cars" from Hearts and Bones (1983). The album was a commercial failure when it was first released (probably a sign of the times and maybe also because it had originally been announced as a Simon & Garfunkel reunion album which didn't come to pass) but has since gone on to be a fan/critic favourite. However, most reviews I've read of the album have highlighted "Cars are Cars" as one of its lesser tracks. I admit, I thought it was horrible the first time I heard it but the more I listened to it, the more I liked it -- Nile Rodgers' clean Strat rhythm, the stop-start drum machine, and especially the melody Simon sings on the line "They shut down their borders and think they're immune...". Interestingly, I've heard a live bootleg of Simon & Garfunkel performing this one on the tour that preceded Hearts and Bones and it is pretty much awful.

Billy Joel's "C'était Toi (You Were The One)" from Glass Houses (1980). Another often disliked song from a great album. According to ex-drummer Liberty Devitto's recent autobiography, Joel often spoke of his most popular or best songs as having gone off to college and done well (or words to that effect), while Lib said "C'etait Toi" had yet to get out of bed for school. As someone who speaks French as a second language, sure, Joel's French accent could use a little work on this track and the lyrics are pretty simple, but I like the melody and overall arrangement. This TV appearance video kind of helps -- I think it's cool to see video footage of what I consider Billy Joel's best band (1978-1987).

The Rolling Stones "Too Much Blood" from Undercover (1983). Okay, not one of the Stones' finest hours and definitely wouldn't grace my hypothetical Top 100 Stones Tracks list. However, it makes for interesting listening musically and lyrically -- dub elements, synth drums, Andy Summers-esque guitars, along with lyrics oddly in a "Thriller" vein. The music video is a hoot too -- I bet Keef probably wanted to wield a chainsaw towards Jagger in real life. Art imitates life? Life imitates art?

These are all from the '80s. Hmm. Not intentional. Let me try and think of one from another decade to balance things out.

Ok, here's one from The Monkees: "Dream World" from The Birds, The Bees & The Monkees (1968), what I think is probably the weakest of the Prefab Four's albums from their original lineup (i.e. before Peter Tork left at the end of '68). The first time I heard it, I thought "Dream World" was overly lush and fluffy but I really like the interplay between the bass and guitar, and it's kind of catchy. No, "Daydream Believer" it is not but it's alright.

2. MugHimself

MugHimself TDPRI Member

I’d have more to say on bands that are universally considered bad that I still totally love. Hanson anyone? Some murder junkies perhaps? How about operation ivy?

3. Joshtheguitarguy

Joshtheguitarguy TDPRI Member

Somewhere in this cold universe. Or am I an alien?
    Nothing more to say.

4. mugen74

mugen74 Tele-Holic

Op Ivy is very far from being considered universally bad.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.