Songs by a "Super Group" for lack of a better name.

Vibroluxer

Tele-Holic
I know there are bands, even one time events, that are made up of mostly famous musicians.

So here is my super group song. "While My Guitar Gently Weeps" with Tom Petty, Steve Winwood, and Jeff Lyne. Someone comes in at the end, another famous guy who is simply put a first class act, showman extrordinaire, and knows his way around a guitar. You have to watch the vieo to find out who it is but trust me, you know him.

Notice how happy Georges son is. I would be too.

Have any? Please post them.

Thanks in advance.

Greggorios

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
Anything from either of the first 2 Crosby, Stills, Nash (...& Young) records. They were the first group I recall ever being referred to as a "Super Group" by the rock press. I always think of them as the first "Super Group".

nojazzhere

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
I know there are bands, even one time events, that are made up of mostly famous musicians.

So here is my super group song. "While My Guitar Gently Weeps" with Tom Petty, Steve Winwood, and Jeff Lyne. Someone comes in at the end, another famous guy who is simply put a first class act, showman extrordinaire, and knows his way around a guitar. You have to watch the vieo to find out who it is but trust me, you know him.

Notice how happy Georges son is. I would be too.

Have any? Please post them.

Thanks in advance.

I remember when Cream first came out, and people referred to them as the "cream" of well-known musicians of the day. Don't know if "super group" was actually used.....but it WAS implied.
Also, the album of Stephen Stills, Al Kooper, and Mike Bloomfield was called Super Sessions, (mid 1968) so, kinda means a "super group".
That kind of jam at George's Concert was a long tradition from Grammy Shows and things like Bob Dylan's tribute......and in fact, I liked the Dylan event (at which George himself played) much better than the Concert for George. (just me) ;)

scook

Tele-Holic
Silver Supporter
Traveling Wilburys.

In the bluegrass world I’d say Old and in the Way, check out Lonesome Fiddle Blues.

I’d throw Mad Season in there too, Pearl Jam and Alice In Chains were huge at the time. Check out a live version of Wake Up.

When I get to a spot I have better Internet I’ll post some links.

Greggorios

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
This is from 2014 and one of my favorites. Features Taj Mahal with Buddy Miller, Ry Cooder and his son Joachim on drums, Don Was bass, Tim Lauer on piano-not sure who the conga/percussion player is. It's a great performance on a lot of different levels but what gets me is just watching the facial expressions on each band member; they're having a ball. In particular watch Joachim-he's over the moon digging the whole thing. Always makes me smile.

Last edited:

nojazzhere

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
This is from 2014 and one of my favorites. Features Taj Mahal with Buddy Miller, Ry Cooder and his son Joachim on drums, Don Was bass, Tim Lauer on piano-not sure who the conga/percussion player is. It's a great performance on a lot of different levels but what gets me is just watching the facial expressions on each band member, they're having a ball. In particular watch Joachim-he's over the moon digging the whole thing. Always makes me smile.

Never saw that.....really cool.
Off topic, but Buddy Miller is one of the guys, like Buddy Whittington and CoCo Montoya, (among others) that, had they looked like John Mayer or Bruno Mars, would be household names today. Sometimes the music world is cruel to musicians who aren't quite MTV ready. :(

Greggorios

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
Never saw that.....really cool.
Off topic, but Buddy Miller is one of the guys, like Buddy Whittington and CoCo Montoya, (among others) that, had they looked like John Mayer or Bruno Mars, would be household names today. Sometimes the music world is cruel to musicians who aren't quite MTV ready. :(
Yeah, I love Buddy including all of his brilliant production work in addition to his performing. His collaborations with Emmy Lou, Patty Griffin, Shawn Colvin, etc. are outstanding. I also spent a real special New Years Eve at one of his and wife Julie's shows-what a pleasure.