Songbirds Guitar Museum "player experiences": ever tried?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by EsquireBoy, Nov 12, 2019.

1. EsquireBoy

EsquireBoy Tele-Holic

I am sure many have had the chance to visit the Songbirds museum: I will if I ever go to Chattanooga.

But I've seen they offer "player experiences" where you get the opportunity to play the guitars kept in "the vault".
    Have any of you done that already?

They offer 3 "sessions" from 200usd to 1000usd:
    http://museum.songbirds.rocks/experience-packages/

Of course the rarest birds are only offered with the 1000usd package (like the 58 V), but you can already play great vintage guitars with the 200usd one (61 strat, 67 tele, 59 jazzmaster, 56 LP jr, ...)

I sometimes watch their Vault Sessions with great pleasure, and it surely gives me an idea for my 40th birthday next year :rolleyes:

Torren61 likes this.
  2. twangjeff

twangjeff Tele-Afflicted

I mean... you could just go to a guitar store?

bgmacaw likes this.
  3. EsquireBoy

EsquireBoy Tele-Holic

Right, but here in France, vintage Fenders et Gibsons are quite rare in guitar shops and, unless it's clear that you're a known collector, they don't get too excited to set you comfortably to play these guitars to say the least...
    Visiting the US or the UK I would love to visit great shops (I think about Emerald City in Seattle, Carter's Vintage or ATB in the UK for instance), but as a foreigner I'm not sure I would feel very comfortable asking to play a 59 burst... Probably silly from me, but then I'm always afraid to be the bothering one.

Torren61 likes this.
  4. twangjeff

twangjeff Tele-Afflicted

Ah, that makes a bit more sense. Looking at the list of instruments, a 59 burst or 58 goldtop would be rare anywhere, but most of the 60's Fenders and Gibsons you could find at pretty much any vintage guitar dealer in the states. If you do it, you may as well go all the way!

EsquireBoy likes this.
  5. EsquireBoy

EsquireBoy Tele-Holic

Was not really planning anything else actually :D

twangjeff likes this.
  6. Bill

Bill Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Yikes. It used to be you could go into the Hard Rock Cafe here in London and play the guitars in their vault for free.

I’ve played Duane Allman’s ‘54 Strat, Jeff Beck’s blackguard Tele, and Jimi Hendrix’s Flying V from the Isle of Wight concert there.

Jerry_Mountains and EsquireBoy like this.
  7. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Friend of Leo's

I've thought about doing that but my wife scowls when I mention it (her family lives in the Chattanooga area). Plus, I'd have to consider that the "VIP Studio Session" price is more than I paid for any of my guitars (even including my '63 Strat, in non-inflation adjusted dollars). I'd probably also have to take my wife on a Caribbean cruise to compensate, so it would cost me triple, at least.

EsquireBoy likes this.
  8. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

EsquireBoy, Go into any high-end shops over there that have R9’s or similar VOS Les Pauls, especially reliced or worn varieties and play them.

There - you don’t have to pay $1,000 and go to Songbirds.

I had a good long afternoon with a 1960 LP in EX+ condition about 16 or 17 years ago. I have played many brand new Les Pauls since that were much better.

Oh - and when does Jack Pearson not impress ? What a fun player.

9. EsquireBoy

EsquireBoy Tele-Holic

I am lucky enough to own and play high end modern guitars every day. I’ve simply been dreaming of playing mystical ones at least once in my lifetime: just for the sake of the vertigo.

10. deytookerjaabs

deytookerjaabs Friend of Leo's

I guess if you're really that interested.

I used to take lessons and teach at a vintage shop back when we'd still have 15+ Pre-CBS guitars in inventory, now a giant store might have a couple in glass cases, lol. Beautiful place, old guitar smell is the best from the archtops to the acoustics to the solid bodies etc. It was such a cool experience thinking back on it.

Songbirds is the opposite of that. Guitars all in glass cases on some big unobtainable pedestal as if you need to be in the yacht club to touch'em. In fact..no old guitar smell at all, lol. But if you wanna actually not deal with the glass case all you need is a pile of money!

I'd recommend a purchase at Dave's Guitar Shop in LaCrosse if you want to play some real vintage guitars and he has damn near one of everything.

Also, Rumble Seat Music in Nashville, they're the nicest around by far and love sharing.

Songbirds is the real life version of "Guitar Aficionado." Something about it makes me not want to be "in the club." I've only a couple proper vintage guitars and ANYONE who's ever looked at them with wide eyes I happily say "here man, pick on it."

Then again, people pay to go to "rock guitar school" these days so WTF do I know?

Last edited: Nov 12, 2019
    EsquireBoy and bgmacaw like this.
  11. EsquireBoy

EsquireBoy Tele-Holic

Thank you for sharing your experience. Since I’ve never been there, it’s difficult to get an idea just looking at the website. It does not sound like the enjoyable experience I had in my head after all.

12. twangjeff

twangjeff Tele-Afflicted

I wasn't able to put my finger on it, but you just hit the nail on the head for me!

13. deytookerjaabs

deytookerjaabs Friend of Leo's

If you're up for it, do it! But, I just think if your dream is to get close to vintage guitars you're better off at Dave's, Rumble Seat, or some other places.

Songbirds works out well for non-guitar people too because it's located near some hotels with event centers & the choo choo hotel where you'll see groups of folks with corporate badges out on the town from their events.

But, yeah, for some reason I thought it looked like 4 hours worth of roaming around online but with my tour (which did not include the extra charge for the vault) we weren't there very long. They have the biggest collection in the world but they rotate a fraction of it. I guess I'm spoiled, the Art Institute in Chicago was $20, you could spend 8 hours there and still miss some of the worlds greatest treasures, lol.

Oh, and a little bird tells me Jack, Tommy, etc aren't in there dropping 4 figures just to touch the vintage gems.

EsquireBoy likes this.
  14. EsquireBoy

EsquireBoy Tele-Holic

Oh that's for sure!

Ok, you got me: that's exactly what I cannot stand in any way...
    I do not know anything about this place, and never been to the area. I had foolishly imagined it was a small and kind of "alternative" museum, not at all a "corporate" thing. Then they would not have a 58 V and other treasures like it I guess.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.