Song Suggestions?

PastorJay

Friend of Leo's
I love all the videos that have been posted recently. Thank you.

Our congregation has put an emphasis on singing relatively new music in worship. A ten year old song would be an "oldie" in our current model.

At the same time, we try to have a "shape" to worship, where we begin with a "Praise" song: up tempo, encouraging people to praise the Lord, corporate as opposed to individual language.

This shape would then move us gradually toward "worship" songs: slower tempos, more contemplative, individual language, about our relationship with the Lord or singing to Jesus (or the Spirit).

We sometimes end the service with one song after the message. This "sending" song would ideally be uptempo again, and about living for Jesus in one way or another: sharing our faith, serving our neighbors, etc.

The issue we face is that not many of the the new popular worship songs seem to fit well into the category of opening "Praise" songs or of last "sending" songs.

What songs are you using to open or close your services? Thanks.

oyobass

Tele-Meister
We sometimes end the service with one song after the message. This "sending" song would ideally be uptempo again, and about living for Jesus in one way or another: sharing our faith, serving our neighbors, etc.
I had a WL who did this and called it "the song of closing."

Me, with my sense of humor, jokingly called it "the song of get out of here." I may or may not have been suffering a little burn out from a service on Saturday night and three on Sundays at the time, lol.

hotraman

Tele-Afflicted
I would look at Song Select to see what is being played at churches each week. However, choosing a closing song, depends on the church music style, message / sermon and how you want people to be inspired.

SBClose

Tele-Meister
Jay, I understand your criteria for newer songs but in the same breath would encourage you to loosen that as much as you can and still make it work in your context as there always seems to be a shortage of upbeat songs.
That Said...
My favorite gathering songs
All the People Said Amen- Matt Maher
God So Loved- We the Kingdom
As it is in Heaven- Matt Maher
House of the Lord- Phil Wickham
It is possible to lay down a groove for 10,000 Reasons (Bess the Lord)

For a song of benediction, it's hard to beat Everywhere I Go by Tim Timmons.
Revive Us Again is an old hymnal song in our tradition. Kim Hill did a killer version about a million years ago. Throw a back beat on it and it rocks.
We frequently revisit the upbeat call to worship song as our benediction, provided the lyric works. We'll do a shortened version maybe dropping the bridge, possibly a verse to bring the service full circle and send the folks into their week.

PastorJay

Friend of Leo's
Jay, I understand your criteria for newer songs but in the same breath would encourage you to loosen that as much as you can and still make it work in your context as there always seems to be a shortage of upbeat songs.
That Said..

Great suggestions. Thanks.

This emphasis on new music wasn't my idea. And I'm not in a musical role here. But I do attend worship meetings where we sometimes brainstorm song ideas.

I often suggest songs that are maybe 15 to 20 years old and have themes that will fit the scripture passages and the message.

The majority of the time somebody looks at me like I hit my head.

We're making some personnel changes and restructuring our music staff. So this seems like a good time to advocate for some other changes.

Rene Asologuitar

Tele-Meister
Hi Pastor Jay,
Have you heard of Steve Agrisano?
He has a song called "Alleluia! Love is Alive".
This song is an easter song, but easter is always a joyous celebration, and can be every single day of our lives.
In my attachment, the song starts at 5:34 minutes.

I love this song, and could be a good choice for a congregational celebration.
In Peace,
Rene

PastorJay

Friend of Leo's
Hi Pastor Jay,
Have you heard of Steve Agrisano?
He has a song called "Alleluia! Love is Alive".
This song is an easter song, but easter is always a joyous celebration, and can be every single day of our lives.
In my attachment, the song starts at 5:34 minutes.
. . .
Thanks. We used one of his songs, "Go Make a Difference," in my last congregation. I wasn't familiar with any of his other music.