Son in Motorcycle Accident

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Dep, Feb 18, 2016.

1. 6942

6942 Poster Extraordinaire

I'm glad to hear your Son will be okay.

I've totaled 3 motorcycles, in 41 years of riding.
    Walked away from every single one.
    I am a firm believer, in wearing proper riding gear.

Steve

2. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Kelnet, that area is just swimming with whitetails. Thank goodness the race of whitetails is maybe 25% smaller than what you'd find in Virginia or Ohio.

All the small built up areas between Orlando and Jax mean deer overwinter en masse near homes and in subdivisions, and IMO the hunting is just not able to keep numbers down where they need to be.

And yet, motorcycles in this area (think about where Bike Week is) could only be described as plentiful. This was a very smart young man to use every piece of safety equipment he could get because collisions with whitetails, as things are now, mean it is not if but when.

3. El Chivo

El Chivo Tele-Meister

Sounds like you ride like me... and I'm in a motorcycle club. Always the last to arrive anywhere. My youngest son loves bikes, but I'm hoping he gets over it by the time it can mean anything. After putting on over 150K miles, I'm over it. Maybe not forever, but for a while. I only really ride to work, but will jump at the chance to take the van whenever possible.

4. Whoa Tele

Whoa Tele Friend of Leo's

Illpray for his continued recovery. God bless

5. Guitarzan

Guitarzan Poster Extraordinaire

Undesirable objects in the road and preoccupied motorists scare me more than motorcycles.

6. Guitarzan

Guitarzan Poster Extraordinaire

A good reminder about the value of riding gear.

I see people riding in shorts, a T shirt, and sandals.

7. KevinB

KevinB Doctor of Teleocity

Soccermoms driving minivans scare me the most. Totally unpredictable, especially when they're also texting. :eek:

8. bsman

bsman Tele-Afflicted

Hope he recovers quickly. You may want to talk to him and let him know there're better ways to harvest venison!

9. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Youngsters in Versas and Elantras.

They're slightly better at it but they are so addicted, they never ever stop. For education purposes I fell back in behind a "Text Mobile" I'd passed once, and for 15 minutes the kid's car swerved this way and that. Used to be that never happened unless it was at night and alcohol and sex were involved! :twisted:

10. Tazz3

Tazz3 Friend of Leo's

Glad he is going to be ok

11. jaybones

jaybones Friend of Leo's

Glad he's OK. Broken collarbone is a pretty easy break to heal. A sling, and the ends will find each other and knit. That was a common injury (after separated shoulder) when I wrestled, and an orthopedic surgeon said if you put the ends of a broken collarbone in the same room without moving them they'll find each other and heal up.

Glad he's going to be OK.

Minor accident on a motorcycle? No such thing. In a car, sure, but in a bike you're going to at the very least lay it down, and even with leather get banged up pretty badly. You can walk away from a fender bender in a car, but you'll likely have to gingerly hobble away from the same accident on a bike.

And I don't speak Australian, so what are chicken-strips on the tyres? Here chicken strips are breaded and fried pieces of breast, also called tenderloins and are a favorite kid's food.

Several years ago I was driving on the highway, doing about 75 when one of those 'tards came screaming past me. Shorts, sleeves cut off his tee, flip flops, no helmet and a temporary tag on his used CR 3 days old. He put the clutch in and crunched down 2 gears, revved the engine, dumped the clutch and popped a wheelie. Got into what would have been a tank slapper if his front wheel had been on the ground, and kept the throttle cranked open. I knew he was going to lose it so I was braking when he got thrown off.

He slid on his back for a couple hundred feet, I was looking into his face when I was still doing 60+ MPH.

Traffic stopped both lanes, and I got out to help him. He had lost all the skin on his elbows, lower back, heels and back of his head. Could even see the white bone, covered with blood.

Asked him if he was alright (stupid question), and his reply was "***** YOU!!"

Said "You got it." Got back in my truck and drove away while dialing 911. Several other people had already called, and the dispatcher said they were sending a patrol car. I said you'd better send an ambulance as well.

I had my accident when I was in college. I'd bought a 1970 Hondo CB 360 (minor classic) that hadn't been registered since it was 10 years old. Bald dry rotten tires, bad battery, needed a tune up but I thought I could make it a project.

Was ridding it to get the tittle transferred and registered on a brick street right after a rain storm. This good 'ole boy coasted through a stop sign in front of me, saw me coming, stopped and was putting it in reverse in his gigantic land yacht Cadillac hour door. The hood was about 8 feet long, and if he just goosed the throttle I wouldn't have hit him.

As it was, I couldn't stop- bald tires, wet brick street, was trying to lay it down when I hit his front wheel.

Fly over the handle bars, landed on my left knee, right elbow then top of the head. Got knocked out, and came to with the Oak Ridge Boys looking Athens County hill jack dragging me off the street.

The students who witnessed it stopped him from leaving, and the cops showed up. Turns out he had no license or insurance, my bike was totaled (only paid $400 for it, and the headlight bucket, turn signal and front fender were toast, and given how old it was cost would have been more than I'd paid for it all together).

The helmet I'd been wearing, bought with the motorcycle when it was new had done its job, but had split apart on the seam on one of the impacts.

Took 48 stitches to put my knee back together, and a subsequent surgery 4 months later (found sand and crushed glass inside the joint sack).

Somehow this guy had a homeowner's policy that paid for the medical bills and motorcycle, and a little pain and suffering ($1100).

Also had another close call when I was riding a different motorcycle home from the bars at 2:30 AM here on Kelleys Island. Was taking the long way around, and there's a road with trees covering it (called Lover's Lane, but its really Titus Road). As I was riding, I saw a big moth in my headlight and thought "That would make a good snack for a bat." And at the same moment a bat swooped down from the left and grabbed the moth.

I was wearing an open face helmet, the old style with ears exposed and I had to move my head to the left to avoid the bat. Had long hair at the time, and I felt the bat brush my long hair as I went by.

The bar vocalized a screech when I went by, probably scared the heck out of it. Lost its meal, and maybe more, and I dodged a bullet (bat, literally). If it had hit my face, even with my glasses I would have been cut up and needed rabies shots.

Pretty much gave up on 2 wheels after those incidents. Still want a Triumph Bonneville (newer with the left foot shift), but that's in the future.

12. Big_Bend

Big_Bend Poster Extraordinaire

Sorry to hear about your son's motorcycle accident with the deer, and that your son was hurt too. :cry: As a rider myself, I especially hate hearing those stories. Hope he has a complete recovery.

I too had a run-in with a deer while riding out to Big Bend National Park late one April evening in 2010. I was way out in West Texas, dusk, middle of nowhere taking seriously back roads, when suddenly Bambi walked right out in front of me, I had zero time to react.

The left front of my BMW hit her hard, the bike started swerving and fishtailing like mad, I went off the road into a dry ditch, still wildly out of control... somehow managed to not drop the bike, got it back on the road.

Dead deer 100 yards back, motorcycle parts strewn everywhere, steam coming out from the engine. Somehow I was not injured, it was an amazing outcome.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I made a trip report on a BMW motorcycle forum, makes for good reading I think http://www.i-bmw.com/showthread.php?t=28698

Be safe ya'll... All the gear, all the time. Take care...

13. harlycarly

harlycarly Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Could contribute to the stories here as well, but mostly just glad your kid is ok. Do me a favor, be a little bit extra nice to him, ok?

14. Dep

Dep Tele-Holic

Thanks to you all for the prayers and well wishes.

I rode bikes since I was 15. Sold my last one about 4 years ago. Loved riding but due to some nerve damage in my feet, decided it was safer to give it up.

Was hoping that this crash had changed my boy's mind about getting another bike, but he is already talking about getting another one sometime in the future.

WE are glad to still have him around and he is healing very well.

And HarlyCarly, we have been extra nice to him. :)

Thanks again all,
    Dep

15. bchaffin72

bchaffin72 Friend of Leo's

First off, glad he is going to be okay and the injuries weren't overly serious. Scrapes and broken bones will mend.

I have a bad neck from wrecking on a bike my friend was driving, many years ago. I came off the back of the bike and took a high speed tumble into the ditch, hitting a large rock with my head. Luckily, I always wore the proper gear. The helmet took a beating, but my brain did not, so the loss of the helmet was a small price to pay for my life. :)

Definitely pays to wear the right gear.

Anyway, here's to his good recovery! :D

16. Diamond Dave

Diamond Dave Tele-Meister

Glad to hear your son will be okay. My brother was killed in a motorcycle accident about 18 years ago.

On a more amusing note, I knew a guy who was driving home at night out in the country one time in his pickup truck with the windows rolled down. All of the sudden, WHAM! something hits him in the face. Blood everywhere. He makes it home and runs in the house yelling at his wife that he's been shot. After a careful inspection by the misses, they determine he's just scratched up but there's no indication of what the heck happened. So they go back out to the truck and look in the seat--feathers! The guy then looks in the back of the pickup and there lies an owl, stone cold knocked out. It had flown into his open driver's side window while hunting and cold-cocked itself, then flipped into the truck bed. After a few minutes, it stood up, shook itself off and flew away, no worse for wear.

17. String Tree

String Tree Doctor of Teleocity

Let's hear it for the Good Guys!!!
    I'm so glad you could be there for your Son and, I am sooo glad it wasn't any worse.

Here's to a speedy and full recovery.

~ ST

18. chezdeluxe

chezdeluxe Poster Extraordinaire

I am sincerely glad your son is OK.....But motorcycles are inherently dangerous as we all know
    The last time I rode a bike on the road was in 1969 on a friend's BSA 650 Road Rocket. Great fun.

Then another friend nearly bled to death on the side of the road, after sliding off a new paint white line while taking his 650 Lightning for a warm up lap prior to a sale appointment. I vowed then not to road ride again.

19. rz350

rz350 Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Still praying for your son, but just had to pop back in to say I could not live without motorcycles, they are closer to my heart than even my Strats and Teles!:D

My father has had a Vincent Black Shadow since 1955, every waking moment of my life has revolved around motorcycles since 1968, he built a 2000cc Vincent Rapide nitro fueled dragbike that his friend crashed back in '68, I remember coming up the driveway in my Mom's '64 Chevelle and seeing the wreckage of that bike laying on a trailer behind his '59 Dodge, and remember my Mom's pained tone in her voice when she thought my dad was dead or injured- She didn't feel much better when she found out it was his friend riding.

It turned out his friend loosened up the steering damper and lost it at 150 MPH through the lights at Great Lakes Dragway, he lowsided and broke a collarbone and had some collateral damage.

I remember visiting him again in 1983 at the hospital after finding out years later that he had also broken his shoulder and it never healed quite right...

This was right after I had put a 1260 kit, ported head and cams on my '83 GPz1100, he was more interested in hearing about that bike than me asking questions about how he felt!

I remember talking to my father from Bonneville World Finals in 2004, and him being terrified when I told him I went 242 MPH on the salt!! He went 198 MPH on the salt back in '63...

I still have 4 motorcycles, and still have the '84 RZ350 that my username reflects, this is the bike that I cut my finger tips on my left hand off on in 1991- it is also still my favorite bike and will soon be 421cc's and about 85 HP, I blame my fingertip loss on my own stupidity...

Motorcycles have pretty much defined who I am, and will always be a part of me, and have taught me very much about recognizing danger not only while riding, but even while driving my minivan!!! ;)

20. KevinB

KevinB Doctor of Teleocity

Like mine?

[​IMG]

Get one. You'll love it!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.