Son comes to the rescue again.

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Toto'sDad, Mar 26, 2020 at 11:45 AM.

1. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Our son called last night and explained that he had read that a local restaurant had been reported in the newspaper to be trying to switch over to providing take out only for folks. This is a restaurant that our family has frequented a number of times together, and is a local business having been there for over fifty years. He felt it was a good opportunity to do his part in helping not only them but us if he bought a nice dinner from them and dropped it off to us.

He sent us the menu by phone and had us pick from it, and in addition brought me a tray of their home made cinnamon rolls which are my favorite cinnamon rolls anywhere! He dropped it off to us, we so wanted to have him stay and eat with us, but his daughter (our granddaughter) who is a nurse advised him not to expose us to the outside world by dining with us.

This being cooped up has been tiring, but it was so nice to see our son if only briefly, and we had a very nice dinner. He brought so much food we decided to make two meals out of it, and generous ones at that. I am so thankful for our children. Our daughter checks on us constantly by phone. Neighbors call and check on us. We are blessed through this trying time.

2. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Sounds cool!

Yeah, my siblings have been taking turns, bringing essentials to my parents and helping with the cooking and so on. They're just about the only outside contact my parents really get.

I feel very guilty, not being able to get out there to see them. A car trip of that length seems unwise, right now, and it would mean leaving my girlfriend here, to fend for herself as she works from the apartment. Not happening anytime soon.

These family restaurants run by serious minded people, are a treasure right now. Can you trust takeout from a typical franchise? I don't know. But there is a special breed of restaurant run by long time people who take immense pride in doing things in a meticulous way - God Bless Them!

Last edited: Mar 26, 2020 at 12:30 PM
  3. ndcaster

ndcaster Poster Extraordinaire

Love's a beautiful thing.

GEECEE, elihu, Toto'sDad and 2 others like this.
  4. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Kinda like a warm cinnamon roll! :)

GEECEE, elihu, getbent and 3 others like this.
  5. DrPepper

DrPepper Friend of Leo's

Hard times bring out the best in some people, you must be living right...

GEECEE and Toto'sDad like this.
  6. Toto'sDad

My son (who is an engineer) said he looked the place over, and he said they had plastic shielding up around everything, that the workers were properly dressed and taking precautions with handling the food. As for my wife and I, we would have been perfectly fine with accepting the risks of having our son dine with us. Something so small it can only be seen by an electronic scanning microscope is going to be pretty hard, maybe impossible to avoid long term. I'm sure your folks understand the logistics of your having to stay put where you are, or at least avoid the long trip to come out here.

As far as food goes, unless they start dropping cans of rainbow stew, and wind pudding out of airplanes we have to eat what we can obtain. There are always risks in consuming food. Without which, well, no matter how fat you are, eventually you need to eat! I hope it doesn't come to it, but I could obtain food and solve the problem of my neighbors cat crapping in my yard simultaneously! I much prefer to avoid that solution though. I thought my son's trying to help us, and do his part for the restaurant was pretty cool. He was a good boy scout, and he's a good man.

boris bubbanov, Ronzo and GEECEE like this.
  7. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

bueno!

Toto'sDad likes this.
  8. Skub

Skub Friend of Leo's

This is the time you see the true nature of folk.

It's breaking my old Da's heart to be cooped up and to feel obliged to accept help,but despite his pride,at 92 he understands the necessity. When I called today with his medication and supplies he told me the taxi dude at the top of his street has offered to get any items he needs and deliver them free of charge. This act of kindness and forethought from a stranger tells you all you need to know.

I'm heartened by such acts,more than I'm dismayed at some other reported behaviour.

In the meantime you take care TD.

9. BigDaddyLH

My father is in his nineties and still living in our old family home, far from where I live now. He's told me about all the neighbours calling to check on him and buying groceries for him. Big thumbs up!

10. Toto'sDad

Thank you Skub! The reason I post positive things about people who do good things here in the US is that all you hear about is the negative things people do. We have a great country, but those who always like to use statistics to prove things will agree, the larger number of population we have now, makes the fixed percentage of people who are selfish grow along with the increase. We are pretty self sufficient, but both my wife and I have been observing voluntarily staying in. Except for our walk, but we practice social distancing which is not difficult with the small amount of people we encounter. In fact most of them seem to think we might be daytime vampires and move away wearily when they see us.:lol:

Skub and boris bubbanov like this.
  11. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Telefied Ad Free Member

Hmmmm ...cinnamon rolls !

I’m checking on you right now - you guys good ?

Lemme know.

I feel crappy but I think it’s too many Milk Duds...:confused:

Toto'sDad likes this.
  12. telleutelleme

telleutelleme Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I'd say you have a lot to be proud of.

Especially if you ate all the Cinnamon rolls:D:D

Toto'sDad likes this.
  13. unixfish

unixfish Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Hmmm, sugar / carbs AND gluten? Double whammy! I'll pass. :lol::lol::lol:

Toto'sDad likes this.
  14. unixfish

unixfish Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

If I ate all the cinnamon rolls, I would burn through all 80 rolls of toilet paper we have at home in the next 4 days. IfyouknowwhatImean. :eek::eek::eek:

OldDude2 and Toto'sDad like this.
  15. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

No cinnamon rolls for me, sadly, but we did find a large (16 ounce) portion of store baked, yesterday's Danish for $ 1.49.

They're not the best ever. They're certainly nothing like the amazing Cinnamon rolls my Mom has made for years (and hopefully will again!) but they're something different and I have a cast iron stomach so I will be fine.

+

My other plan for later is a small portion of Turkey Creek Belgian Style Chocolate (the black rim, premium version) and there's always melted residue in the bottom of the bowl. Add some Whole Grain Cinnamon Graham "Goldfish" (as these are closing out at 39 cents per bag). Don't let the chocolate go to waste! Normally chocolate and cinnamon clash, but this works. PSA: Don't mix ground gloves with chocolate - that don't work!

Toto'sDad likes this.
  16. Mechanic

Mechanic Friend of Leo's

We tuna little deli and grill in our small town. Chain grocers and Costco and Sams are sold out of TP, flour, sugar, yeast, water and the like. My beautiful and thoughtful wife has taken to ordering pantry goods for our locals that have kids and won’t goin the stores. We post up what we can get from our vendor and take online and phone orders. Not to mention the regular food orders.
    We’ve had to thin the payroll by not having too many working the hours they did, but spread the hours out so no kid is with out a job but their hours are cut to about 2/3 of what they had and it gets spread around. This community has responded with more patronage and sales than we did before. We just aren’t using the lobby and our crew when they get in the weeds put out an SOS. And a member of our crew will show up and help for an hour to get caught up. Then comeback later on to finish their own shift.
    It’s nice to be loved and show love to the community.

Toto'sDad likes this.
  17. Toto'sDad

I'm telling you what Mike if you were close enough to me I'd give you a couple of these babies! The only problem is, I think they are the very best ones in the world, and I've tried a lot of 'em in my time. It'd be an awful long way to drive to satisfy your craving for them!

Mike Eskimo likes this.
  18. Toto'sDad

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

19. Toto'sDad

Actually we insisted he take a couple of them home with him. He just wouldn't do it at first, but we kept after him until he did. :)

20. BigDaddyLH

We're all gonna die, I just want my corpse to smell good.

OldDude2 and Toto'sDad like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.