Somone please help, newbie questions. Pics, more will follow

Discussion in 'Amp Tech Center' started by Bickert Fan, Mar 3, 2013.

1. Bickert Fan

Bickert Fan Tele-Afflicted

I just got an email from the person I bought the amp from regarding the cabinet...

"The cabinate is a single 12'' , 8 ohm, 100w speaker. The speaker is made by Etone, and the model is # 241"

2. Gnobuddy

Gnobuddy Friend of Leo's

Interesting, perhaps it was a flaw in the design, and that's why there's nothing there. I had been wondering if there was supposed to have been a voltage selector switch mounted there.
    Is that XLR socket intended to drive the speaker? If so, it's going to put out way too much voltage to be safe for your Mbox.

Since we now know it's rated at 100 watts into an 8 ohm load, I calculate that this amp is capable of putting out up to 40 volts peak voltage to the speaker. That's almost guaranteed to be big enough to fry your Mbox - I would not try it unless I hated the Mbox and wanted it dead!
    I think that's true, but I find the signal-to-noise ratio much better over there - the few posts that show up tend to have more "meat" to them than the typical TDPRI post. A lot of TDPRI posts are the equivalent of "Look, I bought an expensive new thingamajigger!", while a lot of AGGH posts are more about understanding or fixing or building something.

The AGGH has a forum called "In The Shed" which is where the DIY amp builders hang out. It may be only a handful of people, but some of them are prolific - Darryl Hoy singlehandedly seems to churn out more amp designs in one summer than Fender Corp has created in the last 60 years!
    Are those the two pale grey circles under the biggest two black knobs? If so, all I can tell from the pics is that they appear to be wired into the preamp stages of this amp. I can only speculate as to what they do - lacking more information, I would leave them alone.

-Gnobuddy

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.