Somewhat crazy day (2 substation fires & explosions).

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by imwjl, Jul 19, 2019.

1. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

The usually pretty Madison isthmus got ugly today. Two electrical substations caught fire, one exploded. My HQ data room power improvements in the past year paid off but it was a surprising mess in terms of TELCO issues.

I feel lucky that I completed new cellular backup for our payment networks only a week ago. Two of our grocery stores were still able to process cards without customers feeling it. Our main 300 Mbps fiber link was out for 5 hours.

The prepper mentality is not me but two substations out in the capital city is food for thought. The utility does not have an ETA for for return of service for city center still without power. Fellow associates who do similar work shared same or similar TELCO issues. Our ISP trucked a generator to the backup site. One of our sites 85 mi away had a short Internet outage tied to one of the data centers hit by this.

In this world of so many so easily offended, it appears some are mad about the governor declaring a state of emergency. I'm sure the same people would be mad if he did not. City center, state govt buildings, a lot of business and 11,000 residents are without power with heat index at 105.

Photos from local news.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

blowtorch and Shuster like this.
  2. Shuster

Shuster Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I guess there, if it burns to the ground, it puts it's self out!

3. verb boten

verb boten Tele-Holic

My big worry during this heat assault is the AC going out. I actually mowed today (rider) and it wasn't bad with a light breeze but coming inside would be bad if it was outside temps.
    Yeah Imwjl, crazy day indeed!

4. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 19, 2019
    imwjl likes this.
  5. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

Is this a heat related incident? I just checked my SIL's town just outside of the Twin Cities where the heat index is presently 111°F. Ouch.

6. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

[​IMG]

7. magicfingers99

magicfingers99 Friend of Leo's

appears to be thermo-electric in nature.
    imagine what a mass coronal ejection could do to the entire grid facing the sun when it arrives.

8. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

They said no, or not the first incident when after 7 AM temperatures were high 70s. I got refrigeration alarms and calls around 8. The news says a mechanical problem occurred first and again while trying to reroute power.

Unfortunately I had a really long day because 2 of our 3 ISPs had issues getting things back to normal. The whole day could be a lot worse. Major changes and upgrades done in the past year meant outages were some limping vs than screwed. I'm glad we were not in the list of closed businesses in the news.

I was impressed with how fast the utility restored service but also understand it to a well run utility that's been on top of disaster and security issues.

Obsessed likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.