1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Sometimes it's small changes that make a nice difference...

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by DHart, Nov 13, 2020.

1. DHart

DHart Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

I've always understood that my Gretsch G6119 Player Edition is a really fine quality instrument. The Japanese build quality is superb - quite noticeably better than Gibson, in my view.

But for some reason, I did not often pick it up and play it. It seemed like the top of guitar was bogged down a bit with too much stuff, that just cluttered things up, to my way of thinking.

[​IMG]

I'm not a big tremolo user, so I replaced the Bigsby with a standard tailpiece. (If the guitar had been available without a Bigsby, I would have bought it that way.). That change uncluttered the top of the guitar considerably, which I liked. :)

[​IMG]

I still didn't tend to pick up the guitar and play it very much. o_O

Taking note that all of my other hollow-body and semi-hollow body guitars have the pick guards removed, I wondered if that small change might make a difference, for me, with this Gretsch.

So, today I removed the pick guard from the Gretsch. I felt was a bit chunky, a little unsightly, and not needed for how I play. The guitar became even more simplified - and I like simplified.

[​IMG]

Simple, clean and uncluttered. Now, pretty much just my style!

I think this small change has made a difference. At least I played the guitar quite a bit today, and really enjoyed it! I'm thinking I may be playing this Gretsch a good bit more in days ahead. Hope so, anyway. It's quite a fine instrument that has been sitting idle far too much.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2020
    Cali Dude, jays0n, old soul and 24 others like this.
  2. Sparky2

Sparky2 Friend of Leo's

I like it a lot now.

:)

John Backlund and DHart like this.
  3. Dereksys38

Dereksys38 Tele-Meister

I love the simplified look, those Gretsch pickguards always seem like some random final thing they put on just cause, but the guitar just looks that much more incredible without it.

DHart likes this.
  4. DHart

The way this sits now, it's kind of like the Gibson hollow-body that I always wanted, but never found. Hollow body, 2.75" deep, very high quality. I guess it took buying a Pro-Line Gretsch and stripping it down to get there. :lol: The Japanese craftsmanship is stunningly clean and precise - inside and out (I toured the insides with a camera snake.)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 13, 2020
  5. superjam144

superjam144 Tele-Afflicted

Still too fancy, but beautiful nonetheless! Now that color on a tele with a silver pickguard? Oh yeah baby!

DHart likes this.
  6. El Tele Lobo

El Tele Lobo Poster Extraordinaire

I would have made very similar changes myself. Nice work.

mad dog and DHart like this.
  7. DHart

I've been thinking about swapping the pickup trim rings with black versions. ;) Those pearly trim rings are just a tad "blingy" to my simple taste.

Jlwctn and superjam144 like this.
  8. superjam144

I think it's the color. It's a deep scarlet red with hues of purple. Maybe THE most beautiful color.

DHart likes this.
  9. DHart

I'm with you on the color - it's my favorite. I have a Strat in this color, too. How about this color (close enough) on a Tele with a black guard?

[​IMG]

Fiesta Red and superjam144 like this.
  10. superjam144

Haha, Yes there it is!!! :)

DHart likes this.
  11. Freeman Keller

Freeman Keller Poster Extraordinaire

I just took a Bigsby off of a friends guitar - he claimed it would never stay in tune and he hardly ever used it. Told me that it is now his favorite guitar. (However I will also admit to installing them for people who truly seem to need or want them).

Yours looks much better without the p/g also.

John Backlund and DHart like this.
  12. John E

John E Friend of Leo's

Amazing how much different it looks minus bigsby and pickguard. Looks fantastic. Not that it looked bad before (because it didn't lol). I don't hate the pickup rings, I'd probably leave them, but black would look great as well.

I can tell you right now... I'd be playing the crap out of that thing both before and after. I love the Gretsch neck profiles. A set of 11's on there and I'd be flying on that bad boy. Nice guitar... and nice job

DHart likes this.
  13. DHart

I do understand the appeal of the Bigsby to get that cool sounding tremolo. But just prefer the overall simplicity without it, and the tuning stability is rock solid now.

14. Freeman Keller

Freeman Keller Poster Extraordinaire

^^^ Yeah, when I have put them on I've always used roller bridges and not had any problems. I was curious about the floating bridge on yours - that seems like a bad idea with a trem.

15. Controller

Controller Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Nice work OP! I have wanted to get a Gretsch, but the non-trem versions don't seem to be too common. You found a solution that looks great.

DHart likes this.
  16. DHart

One place where the build quality really shows is the binding on the f-holes. That's not easy work to do flawlessly.

On this guitar, the f-holes look like they were born with the flawlessly done f-hole binding. Pretty amazing work.

17. Nick Fanis

Nick Fanis Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Nah,it works just fine if you know how to set it up right and "pin" the bridge (using violin raisin works wonders and you don't even need double sided tape or pins/screws)

A Gretsch without a Bigsby doesn't look like a Gretsch to me but maybe I am a bit biased :)

20200509_172820.jpg

Wulf and FenderLover like this.
  18. DHart

Hi Nick. Yes, you are right. Without the Bigsby, it definitely looks more like a Gibson. I'm quite fine with that. And, it's a better quality guitar than most Gibsons these days. I'm happy about that, as well. :)

19. lil scotty

lil scotty Tele-Meister

I like your “mods.” Especially when playing live, I don’t like all that stuff getting in the way of simply reaching for the volume knobs, which I tend to use a fair amount. I don’t like the style of pickguard that comes off the guitar. On my Les Pauls I always remove those PGs, even though I think they look kinda cool. But you have a master volume on that Gretsch, I think? Never got used to where that bugger sits.

DHart likes this.
  20. Rockhead

Rockhead Tele-Meister

I agree with swapping the Pickup rings. They look OK with the pickgaurd on but with it off, I'd definitely change to black.

DHart likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.