Sometimes I don`t like to listen to music ....you too ?

Robert H.

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
When we listen to music, watch tv, read - we are engaged in what I call controlled thought. Someone else is essentially controlling our thoughts. We’re engaged in their creation. Sure we bring ourselves to it, but we are following along in our mind. There are times when I want to engage in my own thinking - the mind wanders, goes in and out of thoughts prompted by all sorts of things. Maybe you - the OP - just need some of your own thought time.

regularslinky

Tele-Afflicted
I go through phases where I discover a new artist (or re-discover an old one) and start listening a lot, but then it fades. Also, I have always had this strange thing where if I know how to play a song on guitar, I completely lose interest in hearing the original artist play that song. IDK why.

Doomguy

Tele-Holic
I'm always listening to music, never leave the house without my earbuds. I'm sipping my coffee, eating lunch, and listening to Worm's Gloomlord record as I type this.

Chiogtr4x

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
I gotta have some kind of sound ON, 24/7

In the car I (still!) play CD's, and my fave radio stations- always something

At home, it's TV, CD's, fans ON, for white noise ( can't sleep without a fan or A/C in fan mode on)

HaWE

Tele-Meister
I don't really enjoy music as "background music" if that makes any sense. For parties, events, etc., it's fine... but, in the house or car I have trouble holding conversations with it on. My friends and loved ones are always the priority, so the music gets disappeared.
In shops , supermarkets and everywhere there is background-music playing- really not always fun to listen to - and calling a telephone-hotline is real horror, if you have to wait and listen to the music they play... I once had to listen to "Summer Wine" from Nancy Sinatra over and over again until there was someone on the phone ...
(although I like that song)

Jakedog

Telefied
Ad Free Member
I almost never listen to music. Not in the car, or the house. I’m just tired of it. I still love playing, but I either play out, or manage the bar while other bands are playing, 5-7 days a week. The last thing I want to do in my spare time is have more noise happening.

When I was touring all the time we never had music on in the van. Usually it was quiet, and folks would watch movies with headphones or whatnot. If we did have something playing over the van speakers, it was usually podcasts or stand up comedy.

Recalcitrant

Tele-Meister
Maybe it’s something about digital formats. I used to play cassettes and records for hours. But when CDs came in I found myself turning it off in a while. Something about them tired me out. Plus, music is produced loud these days.

nojazzhere

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
As I get older sometimes there are days when I just can`t stand listening to any kind of music. Maybe its because my ears have become more sensitive over the years.
I have no hearing-loss or other ear-problems,but sometimes I can`t stand any kind of music and like it to be quiet.
Then I also do not like to play guitar or any other instrument.
We had a bigband (brass- saxophones,trumpets... ) playing and I wanted to go away because there where some frequencies and sounds realy unpleasant for my ears ...same with a country-band when they used an electric violin.....
going to concerts I often wear ear-plugs even if the band is not so loud.
Never had that in my younger days.
Is there someone having made the same experience?
I've mentioned this before, but there's ALWAYS music going in my head.....whether I want it or not. I've worked with people who wanted the radio going all the time, and it often "clashed" with what I was "listening" to. When I'm performing, it's not a problem.....and when I'm focused on learning or working on a new song, it doesn't "conflict" with what I'm doing. When driving, I often listen to classical music or NPR talk/news. Right now, my guitar trio version of a ha's Take On Me is on a loop.
But....whatever song.....it JUST NEVER STOPS. ;)

G.Rotten

Friend of Leo's
As I get older sometimes there are days when I just can`t stand listening to any kind of music. Maybe its because my ears have become more sensitive over the years.
I have no hearing-loss or other ear-problems,but sometimes I can`t stand any kind of music and like it to be quiet.
We had a bigband (brass- saxophones,trumpets... ) playing and I wanted to go away because there where some frequencies and sounds realy unpleasant for my ears ...same with a country-band when they used an electric violin.....
I've gone through periods of just not being interested in listening to music, though I still enjoyed playing guitar. I even posted about it myself last year.

I started listening to a comedy station for a while. Now music is getting back into rotation.

Certainly as I'm getting older there are some sounds that really get to me. I've always had something called Misophonia which is best described as an involuntary negative reaction to certain sounds, but I don't think that's what you're describing.

https://www.webmd.com/mental-health/what-is-misophonia

For me there was a general lack of interest in pretty much all music and I just needed a break from it (random guitar noodling excepted).

Last edited:

Killing Floor

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
For me the trick is to put on some headphones and listen to something I would never play as a musician and enjoy as a fan.

oregomike

Tele-Afflicted

Yeah, I always have plugs in when playing and attending shows. I have some minor tinnitus in both ears and mid range loss in my left ear (been playing drums for 40 years, so...). Nothing that's distracting yet, and want to keep it that way.
I play with younger guys and they never wear protection. "Yeah, I'll probably lose my hearing but isn't it worth it to have a life playing music?" Nope. You can play music and save your hearing, IMO. So, I don't get that mind-set.
As far as listening to music, there are times when I just want to be inside my head and music is a distraction. Jazz is usually pretty unobtrusive if it's playing. As long as it's not Ornette Coleman or other avant-garde stuff.

Poster Extraordinaire
I don't really enjoy music as "background music" if that makes any sense. For parties, events, etc., it's fine... but, in the house or car I have trouble holding conversations with it on. My friends and loved ones are always the priority, so the music gets disappeared.

Yeah, background music isn't a thing for me. I don't even like to listen with my eyes open.

SbS

Tele-Afflicted
Silver Supporter
I've became very selective. Silence is better than some indifferent background music I'm not a fan of.

Maybe podcasts instead, perhaps guitar or amp related ones. But sometimes the silence is best. I try to save my ears and soul (and brains, what's left anyways) for the good stuff. There's so much audiovisual mess going on these days.. in the world and life.

StoneH

Tele-Afflicted
Gold Supporter
I spent decades only listening to the radio in my car, garage, or workshop. I now have playlists on my phone and Bluetooth speakers and receivers where I need them (including my boat). However, the only music I listen to at home is what I make.

Festofish

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
Less than a year from 50 and I had to get a tube put in my left ear. Some tones just burst right through and some are muddy. I’m not to the point I stop listening but I get it.