Something you don't see every day.

Toto'sDad

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
A couple of nights ago, when my wife and I took old Alex out for his constitutional, we saw a nearly new lawnmower and a one-gallon gas can sitting in the landscaping at a cross street. We thought about it for a few moments, and I decided to either let whoever left it there come back and get it, or someone discover it, and take it home with them.

You might wonder why I didn't report it? I tried to report something I found abandoned or stolen a few years back, and all I managed to do was to nearly freeze to death in the cold waiting on someone to respond, which they never did. I remembered back to that evening, and the hour or so I wasted, and bid Mr. Mower, and Mr. Gascan adieu. The next evening, it was no longer there, the universe corrected itself without my input.

Papanate

Tele-Meister
Silver Supporter
A couple of nights ago, when my wife and I took old Alex out for his constitutional, we saw a nearly new lawnmower and a one-gallon gas can sitting in the landscaping at a cross street. We thought about it for a few moments, and I decided to either let whoever left it there come back and get it, or someone discover it, and take it home with them.

You might wonder why I didn't report it? I tried to report something I found abandoned or stolen a few years back, and all I managed to do was to nearly freeze to death in the cold waiting on someone to respond, which they never did. I remembered back to that evening, and the hour or so I wasted, and bid Mr. Mower, and Mr. Gascan adieu. The next evening, it was no longer there, the universe corrected itself without my input.
You would have little chance of Freezing in this weather - I'd be Tempted - Leave a sign that said I found something and to text if its yours - then bring it home - obviously only the real owner (if there is one) would know what I was talking about - I'd ask anyone who called what the CCs were (if they told me it was a Lawnmower) ask the color - ask the cable design - then ask them to describe what
was with the mower and describe it in detail - or maybe I'd leave it and let the universe take care of it.:D

Toto'sDad

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
You would have little chance of Freezing in this weather - I'd be Tempted - Leave a sign that said I found something and to text if its yours - then bring it home - obviously only the real owner (if there is one) would know what I was talking about - I'd ask anyone who called what the CCs were (if they told me it was a Lawnmower) ask the color - ask the cable design - then ask them to describe what
was with the mower and describe it in detail - or maybe I'd leave it and let the universe take care of it.:D

You know I ran different scenarios through my little gourd and decided for no more money than was probably involved, it just wasn't worth ANY trouble, beside Alex needed to get going on his sniffing and peeing.

CCK1

Tele-Afflicted
You might wonder why I didn't report it? I tried to report something I found abandoned or stolen a few years back, and all I managed to do was to nearly freeze to death in the cold waiting on someone to respond, which they never did.
I get you. Years ago, I called 911 and reported something that I thought looked suspicious. Turns out it was and resulted in criminal charges being filed by one neighbor against another.
What did I get for my trouble? I had to take 2 days off from work and sit on a bench in the hallway of the county courthouse waiting to be called to testify for the prosecution (and this was before the days when I could've spent the time browsing TDPRI on a cell phone). Sometime after lunch on the second day I was called to testify. The direct from the state took all of about 3 minutes, and the defense had no questions for me. If I actually see a serious crime being committed, I'll call 911, but experiences like mine (and yours @Toto'sDad) do cause you to think twice.

Toto'sDad

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
I get you. Years ago, I called 911 and reported something that I thought looked suspicious. Turns out it was and resulted in criminal charges being filed by one neighbor against another.
What did I get for my trouble? I had to take 2 days off from work and sit on a bench in the hallway of the county courthouse waiting to be called to testify for the prosecution (and this was before the days when I could've spent the time browsing TDPRI on a cell phone). Sometime after lunch on the second day I was called to testify. The direct from the state took all of about 3 minutes, and the defense had no questions for me. If I actually see a serious crime being committed, I'll call 911, but experiences like mine (and yours @Toto'sDad) do cause you to think twice.
I have told the story here before, so I won't go through it again. We got involved in something really serious one time and had to go to court. The guy got time, I got shot at (but not hit) as a result of all of the problems that ensued. Nowadays, when I see something going on, unless it's REALLY SERIOUS, I'm probably going to just walk away.

Dan German

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
I work at a parts counter which includes power equipment. I can barely get people to tell me what their lawnmower is when it’s sitting in front of them… :rolleyes:

Lost_N_Austin

Friend of Leo's
I went to the do-it-yourself Car Wash last Saturday and pulled right into an empty bay, one of five. It wasn't
completly empty however. Some one had left two nice rods-n-reels and two pairs of well used but obviously expensive leather work boots sitting right by the entrance.

I went to the "Office" by the change machines and all I found was a first name and a phone number so I called and reached the responsible party. I reported what I had found and he said "Just set the stuff by the front door and the owner will probably be back for it". NOT

I told him to write down my number and said "if the owner contacts you will the proper description of the items, have them call me".

He did, they did and the owner drove to my house and picked up his stuff.

About 60 years ago I left my portable radio (not quite a boom box) playing in a car wash stall in Stillwater Oklahoma where I was a college student. I'm still looking for someone to contact me to return it.

What ever happened to Karma?

Lost_N_Austin

Telekarster

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
I wonder if maybe someone decided to get one of those battery powered mowers, and put their old one with the gas can out on the street for anyone to have? Believe it or not, I've seen it before. In fact, only a couple years ago my neighbor down the street did exactly this. When I asked him "Man, you just set your mower out for someone to take away? You probably could've got 100 buck out of it." He said to me "Naw.... I don't care. If someone can use it, I'm glad for them to have it. For 100 bucks it's not worth my time and effort" ;) he has a point :)

Toto'sDad

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
Telekarster:

I wonder if maybe someone decided to get one of those battery powered mowers, and put their old one with the gas can out on the street for anyone to have? Believe it or not, I've seen it before. In fact, only a couple years ago my neighbor down the street did exactly this. When I asked him "Man, you just set your mower out for someone to take away? You probably could've got 100 buck out of it." He said to me "Naw.... I don't care. If someone can use it, I'm glad for them to have it. For 100 bucks it's not worth my time and effort" ;) he has a point :)

I didn't always understand that point of view, but I do now. Last week I had a tree taken out and the guy that did it did a good job. I paid him, and just before he left he told me he was going to be playing in a golf tournament next week. I said here try this and handed him a nice Taylormade putter I had in the garage with a new Super Stroke grip on it. He set up his stance and I could see it fit him perfectly, so I said take it with you, it's yours. I've been lucky about things coming my way all of my life, it doesn't hurt to give a little back.

Last edited:

Flat6Driver

Poster Extraordinaire

Masmus

Tele-Afflicted
There was a person in Reno that I heard this story from that happened to him. He called 911 because there was a DUI driving extremely erratic, so when the police caught up to him (he was following the DUI) they pulled him over instead and didn’t release him for an hour thinking that he was the one who was drunk.

nojazzhere

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
On a related note, I always felt it was my civic duty to serve on jury duty when called.....I served on actual duty for three different trials, and waited around without being called on several others. I had to pay for my own parking and expensive "downtown" lunches......and jury duty compensation didn't cover those. The final straw was when I had to virtually disrobe to get through the security check-point. (belt AND shoes) I now exercise my "age 70" exemption, and don't even have to go down anymore. As a rational and fair-minded citizen, I think I am exactly the kind of person that SHOULD be on a jury, but the complete lack of respect I receive negates any civic responsibility I feel.

String Tree

Doctor of Teleocity

Your non-interference left an indelible mark on that Universal Correction.
Well played!