Something to pair with my OCD

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by themandolinguy, Oct 6, 2014.

1. themandolinguy

themandolinguy Tele-Meister

Hi guys. I'm looking for some suggestions for something to pair with my OCD. Here's the thing: There are two settings that match the sound in my head - drive at 9, and drive at 3. If I keep the one I have with the drive at 9, what would you recommend feeding into it to get the sound of the OCD at 3? I've tried a Fat Boost 3, but it doesn't have enough gain. Should I try another OCD? A fuzz? An EP Booster? Thanks for your help!

2. RetroTeleRod

RetroTeleRod Poster Extraordinaire

Sounds like your best bet would be a second OCD. I have one too and according to Fulltone the profile on these are neutral to mid-scooped. If that's the tone your after then another pedal with similar characteristics might be the ticket. I have a Fulltone Plimsoul which is great and has a ton of gain, but Stage 1 at least is mid-humped.

3. gtrguru

gtrguru Friend of Leo's

I would turn the knob for each song. Pretty easy to go between 3oclock and 9oclock. Even have knobs you can buy to turn with your foot.

If you have money burning a hole in your pocket then send it to me or buy another OCD. If that's the sound you like than stick with it. For many people the hardest part is finding the od flavor they like. Seems like the hardest part is already conquered for you.

4. RetroTeleRod

Mooer makes an OCD clone (Hustle Drive) which would save you some bucks. I don't know if it would be as good as the real deal though.

5. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Poster Extraordinaire

I use an MXR micro amp into mine... Plenty of extra gain on tap.. Have OCD set on a quite low gain for rhythm, bluesy stuff and then kick in MXR for a nice hot sound.

Works for me.. It's like moving OCD gain from 3 to 8/9

6. RetroTeleRod

I notice you have a Blues Jr. too. I love the way the OCD works with the Jr.!

7. themandolinguy

thanks

8. themandolinguy

I should have been more clear. I like 9 o'clock for rhythm, 3 o'clock for lead.

9. themandolinguy

Yes it's great.

10. Tom Coyle

Tom Coyle Tele-Meister

I use a Blues Driver for my lighter gain, the OCD for heavier gain, and both are set so that I can run both for extreme gain. The two play well together IMO.

Tom

11. codamedia

codamedia Poster Extraordinaire

Don't feed the Fat Boost with the OCD, use the Fat Boost to feed the OCD. Whether you turn up the gain on the OCD or push the input harder with a boost you will get similar results.

Placing the Fat Boost after the OCD will just make the original sound louder. Placing the Fat Boost before the OCD will push the OCD harder, sort of like raising the gain to 9.

"Guitarteach" mentions this exact type of setup a few posts above. He uses an MXR Micro Amp to drive his OCD.

12. FMA

FMA Poster Extraordinaire

Here is what I do, and it works for me, which means it won't necessarily work for you.
    I have a Boosta Grande that goes into a Pigtronix Fat Drive, set for low gain, into my OCD. Very versatile set-up and can cop a wide variety of tones.

13. themandolinguy

That's what I was doing. It just wasn't enough gain for what I was looking for.

14. themandolinguy

I guess that is another alternative. Keep the FB3 and get something else to supplement.

15. JG806

JG806 Tele-Holic

I've gone through this. First I would ask what version OCD? Version 4 is the most common and I think most cloned. I have the V.3 which I love at low/med gain. I tried a Mooer Hustle Drive which was a decent clone but I did not like the higher gain tones as much. I ended up with a Joyo UD. Great for the higher gain thing that an OCD does. There is alot of gain on tap with the UD so mine is set around 9:30 to achieve similar gain as an OCD on 2-3 o'clock. I've had the UD on my board for over 3 years. No issues. Nothing to lose when you can get these new from Amazon for 35 bones shipped.
    Just checked the price....28!!!! That's ridiculous! Do it.

16. pete-strych

pete-strych Tele-Holic

I'd try a Joyo Sweet Baby Overdrive, or a sparkle drive.

17. pete-strych

pete-strych Tele-Holic

Have you checked out any of the new EHX OD's or Fuzz pedals say like the East River Drive, Soul Food, Satisfaction.....

18. PhatBoy

PhatBoy Tele-Afflicted

ADD?

19. DannyStereo

DannyStereo Poster Extraordinaire

I vote cyclothymia. That way you can be obsessive about writing ballads and bluesy tunes when you're on a low, and great big rock anthems when you're on a high. Talk about a good pairing.

20. jackal

jackal Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Rat.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.