Something Completely Different: Class-D HiFi Amp Build

Discussion in 'Shock Brother's DIY Amps' started by akuster777, Jul 11, 2019.

1. akuster777

akuster777 TDPRI Member

Well:

I was looking for a change after building my seventh guitar amp (Mojotone 5E3, Ceriatone 18Wtremolo, baby will pcb, 5F1, 5E3 with Dumble mods, 5E3 with Dumble and @robrob mods, Trainwreck Liverpool).

I had some suitable SE output transformers from an old Philips reel-to-reel player. So, instead of another guitar amp, I felt that I'd like to build an el84-based tube hifi amp. Also, I wanted to replace my old Audiolab Bookshelf speakers I got about 10 years ago: I knew the sound that I had in my living room could be much better.

After a bit of research, I decided to build a stereo RH84 hifi amp (1 x 12at7, 2 x el84, 1 x 5r4): http://rh-amps.blogspot.com/2013/02/rh84-amplifier-revision-2_26.html

However, as I was sourcing the parts, I came across this article on building a Class-D hifi amp, do-it-yourself for all components, for about $260: https://spectrum.ieee.org/consumer-...fessionalgrade-audio-amp-on-the-sort-of-cheap

I was enticed by the article and the comments, so I sourced and bought parts for both the Class-D and the RH84 (still to be built). Unfortunately, the tpa3250 amplifier unit from 3e audio was no longer available, so I got the slightly-lower-specked tpa3220 (micro evaluation board version) from mouser. Also, I knew I needed some halfway-decent speakers, so I checked out Craigslist and found some used Polk Monitors and a Subwoofer for next to nothing.

A few days ago, I spent the afternoon drilling the aluminum chassis, assembling the components, soldering, and firing it up.

And basically I've been listening during my every spare moment for the past few days, and I can't tear myself away from it.

It sounds so much more robust, clean, and full than any audio gear I've had, there's no comparison.

If I built it again, I'd consider getting the slightly-higher-specked audio board (https://www.3e-audio.com/amplifier/tpa3255-2ch-260w/). I guess I could swap boards later, but for now I'm satisfied.

If you don't have good hifi gear already, I strongly recommend such a build.

Now: back to listening to Houses of the Holy (for both the hundredth and "first" time) and contemplating my RH84 build....

Best wishes to all,

Andrew

20190709_203217.jpg
    20190710_161544.jpg

Last edited: Jul 11, 2019
  2. FenderLover

FenderLover Friend of Leo's

What a world we live in. Before computers, we had our stereos, CB radios, and tube amps. My current stereo monoblocks idle at about 475W. I think I saw in one of your links above an idle of less than 2.5W.

akuster777 likes this.
  3. akuster777

akuster777 TDPRI Member

4. LudwigvonBirk

LudwigvonBirk Tele-Holic

If you play a premium vinyl or a 24-bit copy of Kind of Blue on your system, does it sound completely awesome?

If so, well done. You're good.

If not (w completely awesome-already rig, and source material)...please post your detailed findings in the shark tank. You eventually won't regret the daily calisthenics and the (ultimately, minor) financial pain.

akuster777 likes this.
  5. akuster777

akuster777 TDPRI Member

Today was Van Halen 1, Kirkby-Rooley Monteverdi Madrigals book 4, Tennstedt's Mahler 8, Talk Talk Spirit of Eden, Fleet Foxes, and now the Yes Album.

20strings likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.