Someone wants to offer me a Strat 2004 Fender Anniversary for...

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by flinx, Sep 20, 2021.

1. flinx

flinx Tele-Meister

$900 for a trade...is it worth it? this person says it is perfect in case...is it worth it?....details i should ask?...anything special about this guitar? any info would be appreciated.

2. John C

John C Friend of Leo's

You need to get a lot more details - there was a special "50th Anniversary" American Series Strat that had an ash body and special pickups (and a special case) but it was only available in 2-color burst and maple fingerboard.

Otherwise just about every 2004 American Series Strat go a "50th Anniversary" neck plate, and some people think they have a special edition when they just have a regular one. I say "most" because by the end of the year they ran out of the neck plates.

For the record there was a 50th Anniversary American Deluxe, an AVRI '54, an Custom Shop '54s that year as well.

3. Ringo

Ringo Poster Extraordinaire

What he said, get pictures serial number , look up completed sales on eBay / Reverb as a market value reference. I don't understand exactly, they are saying the trade value for the Strat is $900? What are you trading them?

4. flinx

flinx Tele-Meister

I am trading a full size Helix.... the pics look good...doesn't seem to be used much... not a gold color hardware (which i don't like) but i he is not to knowledgeable...

Attached Files:

5. John C

John C Friend of Leo's

It's a 2004 American Series Strat, not a special edition. Although it does look like the pickguard was either changed or somehow aged to be almost tan instead of the stock parchment. $900 seems a bit high to me (by $50-$100) for a 2004 American Series, but the market is crazy these days. As long as you like it's not a horrible deal in the current market, but not the kind of deal you could have gotten in 2019. I'm also not sure what your Helix is worth on the used market (is it the $1,500 MAP model?) - if you're getting the guitar and some cash or if it's a straight deal. You could try and get him to value the guitar at $800 toward the Helix, but $900 is acceptable.

flinx likes this.
  6. flinx

flinx Tele-Meister

Thanks for the reply... i think i will pass on it... nothing about that strat jumps out at me.

7. _MementoMori_

_MementoMori_ Friend of Leo's

I have an unconventional way of deciding if a gear trade is worth it. If I want what's being offered, and I don't want what I'm offering, I make the trade.

flinx and Blackmore Fan like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.