Someone recommend me a telecaster for blues

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by neilybob100, Oct 4, 2019.

1. Skydog1010

Skydog1010 Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

If you are a Bender, you might find 7.25 neck a bit frustrating.

mkdaws32 likes this.
  2. E5RSY

E5RSY Poster Extraordinaire

Any Tele except...maybe a Tele Plus.

3. Skydog1010

Based on history of blues players in general - about anything you can get your hands on - really I'm serious.

Now if you want a certain sound or emulate a certain set of covers, you might find that a certain type of pickup may be your real target.

Have fun on your journey.

4. POS Guitars

POS Guitars Tele-Meister

neilybob100 and gwjensen like this.
  5. RadioFM74

RadioFM74 Friend of Leo's

… or not. It’s mostly a matter of set-up. If you don’t want super-low action and super-slinky strings, you’ll likely be ok. I used to avoid 7’25’’ boards like the plague because of hearsay but when I had my first AVRI in hands I was hooked for life. And I bend major thirds way up on the fretboard (would be easier if I did not use .11s :confused:).

Not saying that @Skydog1010 is wrong: for every guitarist that loves 7.25 there is at least one who dislikes the spec, so definitely try before buy.

NewKid, howardlo and neilybob100 like this.
  6. neilybob100

neilybob100 Tele-Meister

An amazing response thank you.

Thinking of spending around £1000 for something I can keep and enjoy.

Really need to play them.

Watch this space.

Sent from my CLT-L29 using Tapatalk

7. neilybob100

neilybob100 Tele-Meister

8. T-Bone

T-Bone Tele-Holic

Last edited: Oct 4, 2019
  9. ScottJPatrick

ScottJPatrick Friend of Leo's

Tele's are like cats, you don't choose them, they choose you. Play as many as you can and when you find the right one it'll let you know.

10. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

All this humbucker talk, I want to intervene here and suggest that a "fat" sound is actually not the secret to compelling stories via the blues genre.

Listen to B B King, or listen to Robert Cray and if you think about it, the story is about frustration and pain. Not the confidence and swagger of Joe Bonamassa. The guitar sound is NOT supposed to be thick, or rich. It is supposed to sound keening, piteous, weakened, thin; frail. Single coils are therefore IMO the better choice - vintage ones in particular.

Telling people not to mess with you, as you have $ 700 in your pocket, is memorable, but it sounds IMO stupid coming out of the mouth of a retired orthodontist.

rand z, Greggorios, Flaneur and 3 others like this.
  11. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

But don't forget also, that most available guitar strings in 1959 were a bit like barbed wire. Bending, as we do it now, really doesn't take off until I would say, the mid 1960s. You might be able to develop a singular, vintage blues sound better with the kind of stuff they make work back then. So, maybe a fat neck with some vintage fretwire, 7.25 radius and a set of 12 strings on there might actually be a good ticket.

Bending really has gotten to be too prominent, I think. And can result in a Parody, as opposed to something that's authentic.

Greggorios, Flaneur and howardlo like this.
  12. Bluetelecaster

Bluetelecaster Tele-Holic

Tab Benoit with his thinline Screenshot_20191004-155558.png

Greggorios likes this.
  13. RadioFM74

RadioFM74 Friend of Leo's

Ok now for my actual buying suggestions:

A. Full vintage spec
    #1 A used AVRI. Pick your drug depending on what necks, colors, pickup nuances you like. Old (pre 2012) 52s for a great blackguard and a bargain, Custom 62s for thin neck, and the wonderful 2012-17s (bit pricier but wonderful guitars all)
    #2 An old classic series or (even better IMHO) a Vintera. Road Worns are included in the concept.

B. "Modern vintage"
    American Originals are out of your price range (great guitars tho). But if you want vintage flavors with more modern radius and frets a used Baja is a great choice. I personally prefer the 60s (sorry Boris!) but the 50s are very good, too. And the vintera mods are also very good from what I hear.

PS: like @boris bubbanov I say go traditional tele SS configuration

boris bubbanov likes this.
  14. Slim Chance

Slim Chance Tele-Afflicted

If you're good (unlike me) you can play convincing blues on any guitar. Blues are not in the guitar, the pickups or even your fingers. They are in your soul and of course, your technique.

If you want a Telecaster to play the Blues, that's great. Find the one which pleases you the most. The quaility of your output will be determined by you and not the guitar.

Whatever you decide, let us know with pictures. Happy hunting.

15. RoCkstAr256

RoCkstAr256 Tele-Afflicted

16. Flaneur

Flaneur Friend of Leo's

You didn't say much about your favourite kind of blues? If you like modern blues rock, you might like a '52 Hot Rod, with a Duncan mini humbucker in the neck and a 9.5 radius. Great guitars but only available used. Are you happy with used?

If you like Texas style blues, something with slightly hotter pickups, like a recent American Special, might suit?

For a good all-rounder, something with low wound, vintage pickups is hard to beat. A used 50s Baja (or a 60s, for that matter...) is a mighty bargain, if you aren't bothered about having a nitro finished instrument.

I've played blues gigs with '52s, a Custom, an '83 Top Loader and a 50s Baja, amongst others. I like the biting, single coil tone that Boris was talking about and all of these instruments has done the job, in their own ways. I don't play modern rock styles- but if I did, the WRHB in my Custom would do that really well. I do a lot of bending, with 52-11 strings and I don't have issues with fretting out, on vintage radius fretboards. Your playing style, setup and string choices should be factored in, when you are auditioning guitars.

Enjoy the search- and let us know how you get on. :)

Skydog1010 likes this.
  17. Chris_69_SS

Chris_69_SS TDPRI Member

Buy a sad one. The sadder the better.

DanDII, RadioFM74, mimmo and 4 others like this.
  18. Skydog1010

I have read this three times now. I don't understand what you are trying to say.

It's totally ok with me if you don't agree with what I said, and what I do, but what's with the parody comment?

Take your baseball bat wrapped in barbed wire and go paddle your canoe anyway ya wanna go, Bubba, upstream, downstream, through the rapids, and over the falls. Just stay in the Blues.

Music is music, I hear a very loathsome sound. Glad the music is not over.
    Put your ear back down to the ground.

neilybob100 likes this.
  19. gwjensen

gwjensen Friend of Leo's

Humbuckers....

BB King
    Albert King
    Freddie King
    John Lee Hooker
    T Bone Walker
    Clarence Brown
    Otis Rush
    Earl Hooker

Lean and mean...

stevemc and Skydog1010 like this.
  20. Skydog1010

B.B. recorded quite a bit with a Tele.
    The varitone switch makes this buckers sound as thin as sick P90's in positions 4, 5 and six.

It's not the pickups.

All those L5's with add on pickups...

It's da Blues, hollow belly, spit in your eye, no where to play, someone messing with your girl, no money, raggy muffin clothes, week since taking a bath, riding the rails, busted flat in Baton Rouge...

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.