Someone explain this to me...

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Nightatthehotel, Jun 13, 2014.

1. Nightatthehotel

Nightatthehotel Tele-Holic

So I'm 17. I finally have a job. I have money. I have a car. Now, I would've finally gotten m license yesterday, but some DPS magic held me back. My dad was my driving instructor and he signed all the paperwork. Turns out that because he got a DWI over thirty years ago when he was 18 (idiot) he cannot legally be my driving instructor, so now I have to do the driving time all over again. I don't really have to do it again I just have to wait 20 days and then have my mom fill out all the paperwork instead of my dad...So someone please explain to me this. How is it that my father has a license to drive a commercial vehicle, a license to fly a plane, a motorcycle license and a regular license AND he is a CERTIFIED FLIGHT INSTRUCTOR yet he cannot legally teach me how to drive (and he is a great driver who has turned his son into a great one as well). How is it that he can do all that, that he can teach legally teach someone how to fly an airplane, yet he cannot teach his own son how to drive a car because of a DWI from over 30 years ago. He has had a clean record since mind one or two tickets....who makes these rules?

2. SamClemons

SamClemons Poster Extraordinaire

Your over-bloated bureaucratic government at work. Remember this when you vote in the future. The amount of regulations, many of them ridiculous, is mind boggling. He could probably apply for and have that record "expunged" (removed) is the word.

3. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

It varies from state to state. When I got my license, I just needed to have a valid permit and pass the written and driving tests. This used to be the same way for CDLs in Washington State (just pass the tests), but apparently the truck driving schools did some lobbying, and now the state law requires that you must attend a state-recognized truck driving school.

So I would say that if you want to know who is responsible, just follow the money.

4. Maricopa

Maricopa Friend of Leo's

Just wait till you pay taxes, take out a student loan, start a business, get a building permit....... ;)

5. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

rules suck when they are inconvenient.
    you and your dad didn't research what was required and you are paying the price (20 day wait) for not checking everything out.

The rule was there long before you started, it was up to you to know the rules.. ignorance is not a defense.

I think if your dad got a DUI regardless of when it was and if he has had subsequent tickets... he should be glad that he CAN hold all those licenses and step back and be glad.

I had a 3 friends killed by a drunk driver and I don't think that guy should ever get to drive again.. ever... much less train kids how to drive...

I think you described your dads acts as 'idiot'... again, is that who you want training young drivers?

I think there are enough folks who don't have DUIs to train our youth to become safe drivers.

Sorry that you have to wait 20 days.

the rules are the rules even when they aren't convenient.

6. Post Toastie

Post Toastie Poster Extraordinaire

At least he can still be a Certified Flight Instructor? How does that work?

7. Frodebro

Because the laws for being a driving instructor were written by different people than the laws for being a flight instructor.

8. Diagoras

Diagoras Tele-Holic

No, what's truly mind-boggling is the mindless knee-jerk reaction by idiots to blame the government every time their comfortable little lives are even the slightest bit inconvenienced.

You know what this country was like before all those "ridiculous" regulations? 15%-20% of all food products were contaminated with harmful bacteria, making thousands of people sick every single day. Working conditions were so dangerous that people were dying and getting permanently maimed every single day. Workers were paid so little that they literally couldn't afford to provide their family with essential nutrition. I could go on and on and on. Yet the average American moron today takes much of that for granted because he is as dumb as a sack of potatoes. That's why all that phony propaganda masquerading as "news" is so successful... it's very effective at manipulating extremely gullible people who don't understand anything about the world beyond their own selfish, pathetic lives. It's sick.

So some guy's dad REALLY screwed up and got a DWI. In Singapore you get beat with a stick just for chewing gum, yet all this guy has to deal with in our great country is not being able to serve as a driving instructor. Oh boo hoo. :rolleyes:

Give me a f****** break.

9. Frodebro

wow

10. Slickster

Slickster Tele-Holic

Get used to this stuff. It never ends. Just get through this BS and move on to the next one.

Stay positive and don't freak out.

Just think ... next month you can load up the car with underage chicks, cheap beer and drive like a bat out of hell! wait ... don't do that

11. KokoTele

KokoTele Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

You know what I love most? It's the civility and constructive discussion we have here on the TDPRI. It's a place devoid of harsh judgement where people can feel free to discuss opinions openly without fear of name-calling and harsh criticism.

Indeed, brother. Indeed.

12. SamClemons

I run a surveying business. Land surveying, subdivision regulations, building permits, beer licenses, flood certificates, Fema. It is endless. I get paid a lot of money for dealing with Govt. regulations. A lot of it is just ridiculous. I am very much the libertarian when it comes to the Govt. and regulations even though I derive a large part of my income from helping folks work through them. A regulation ought to be a general benefit to the public at large. Many state ordinances start with something like "the public welfare demanding it". Many do not benefit the public, a great many. And no one seems to have the authority to solve problems when they run into them. If you don't meet the reg....just forget it....at least without a long drawn out fight.

13. Nightatthehotel

Well.

14. Frodebro

Not quite what you expected, huh? You should know this place better than that by now. ;)

15. Nightatthehotel

The one post here that actually made me feel a bit better (no disrespect to everyone else as y'all are right). This made me laugh.

16. lendryesky

lendryesky Tele-Afflicted

A lot of it has to do with his punishment rather than regulations methinks. DUI/DWIs are taken very seriously in most states. Other states still have people on the road with eight DUIs under their belt. Depends on the judge too. There is one judge in my area who is known for being overly hard on "crime." She sentenced one person was sentenced to 10 days in jail plus fines for a noise violation.

17. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

Insurance comp are worse...our singer cant put her son on her insurance since her new husband who lives in same house had dwi once

18. SamClemons

I believe we are not supposed to discuss politics on this board. I have probably crossed the line. I apologize. 20 days seems like an eternity, but it will pass.

19. soulman969

soulman969 Telefied Ad Free Member

The State Government and usually by some arcane method of doing it with statues that become laws with little attention to common sense and no public say so in the matter whatsoever which is why some of them are as nonsensical as the one you bumped into.

I can only vouch for those in Colorado, and I'm by no means a supporter of drinking and driving, but in many cases the penalties for habitual offenders who can afford a good attorney who knows how the system works and can plea bargain for them are less onerous than those for a first time offender.

Fighting a case in court costs the county money whereas plea bargains and huge fines save and make the county money. Welcome to the world of local government as a profit center. You're only 17 and with any luck you won't run afoul of it in your lifetime because if you think this is stupid you haven't seen anything yet.

20. twangking

twangking Tele-Afflicted

20 days is nothing. You'll be fine.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.