Someone else played my rig... what I learned

Discussion in 'Worship Service Players' started by mrboson, May 22, 2015.

1. mrboson

mrboson Tele-Afflicted

It was pretty educational to sit back and listen to my usual rig last night, being played by someone else!

Back story, I am sitting at the FOH desk this week. But I brought my rig to practice anyway (cause you just never know). We have a new guitarist joining, and he thought he was on acoustic, so didn't bring his electric gear. Last minute, we decided to put him on electric and so he played mine, through my pedal board, into my amp. He didn't have time to dial in "his sound" so he just played my settings. Tele (mostly he was on the bridge P/U) -> orange squeezer comp -> Soul Food -> Timmy -> Nova Repeater (he used it just a few times) -> Joyo Trem -> Blues Junior (set to mostly clean) -> miked into PA. I think he kept the Timmy always on (which I do) and used the Soul Food occasionally for more crunch. I have a Rat on the board too, I think I detected a Rat spot here and there instead of the Soul Food.

Anyways, of course he has own style and he sounded like "him." But it was my stuff, and I got to hear the perspective of what my gear sounds like in the mix. And, I got to hear it without the complication of trying to play at the same time.

It was way cool. My signal chain sounds awesome! He is a good player, and leveraged everything quite well, but I was pleased to perceive that my pedals and amp provide a pretty good basic sound for the music we play.

I also learned that as much as I love my Rat, it didn't sound as good in the mix last night as the Soul Food did. Blasphemy! I love my Rat. But I probably use it too much. I will try and correct that based on what I learned. I also heard that I need a better reverb. The BJr's reverb is OK, but just doesn't sound right. Looks like I'm getting another pedal!

Try it! If you have other players, sit out sometime and let someone else play a whole set with your rig using your basic settings. You might discover something you didn't know. You might even realize that while you think you sound like crap up on stage, you sound pretty good FOH (assuming you have a competent person mixing - or just volunteer to sit on sound and mix "yourself" the way you want).

2. CapnCrunch

CapnCrunch Friend of Leo's

I totally agree. Having someone else play your gear to allow you to honestly critique is one of the most valuable things anyone can do in a band context. That includes everyone. I've had the same experience, and have dropped pedals from my board and tweaked eq on my amp and on some effects. It's interesting to watch the bass player realize that his active pickups and current eq don't sound nearly as good when played with the band as they do when he's playing by himself. Everyone should do this from time to time.

3. southpaw pete

southpaw pete Tele-Meister

That would be an interesting and eye (ear) opening experience!

I remember a number of years ago I had my rig set up on the stage at church (completely different rig from what it is now), and during some free time another guitarist was playing some through it. I walked in the room and really liked how it sounded. The interesting thing was that he was using the bridge pickup, which I never used. I always thought it sounded too bright and thin, but when I heard him play I thought it sounded great.

On occasion I will set up on the stage during the week and practice through my full set up, mic'd and all, and record some loops on my DD7 so I can walk around the room and see how it actually sounds in the room. It helps, but still doesn't give me any idea of how it would sound in the mix with a full band.

4. mrboson

mrboson Tele-Afflicted

He's playing electric Sunday, but with his own gear. He goes direct with no amp, but I'm not sure yet what he uses.

I kind of wish he would play my rig Sunday... I want to hear it in a live service. I have recordings of me playing, but I think it would be cool to mix my own rig live, then save my settings on the board (it is digital, so I could store it) and request that the other techs use my settings when I am playing.

5. soundchaser59

soundchaser59 Tele-Holic

I'd be interested to know which reverb pedal you end up with.

6. SamClemons

SamClemons Poster Extraordinaire

I like to mix guitar "thin/bright" in the mix. Bass has the bass covered, often the keys too. It will sound...well thin by itself, but sit better in the mix.

7. black_doug

black_doug Tele-Afflicted

Watch the Soul Food sell out all over.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.