Some very cool bender history.....

Discussion in 'B-Bender Forum' started by asatfan, Dec 21, 2013.

1. asatfan

asatfan Friend of Leo's

After reading recent threads about Clarence's guitar, Steve Wariner, Marty Stuart, etc., I was curious about the time line, so to speak, of b-bender history. It gets very confusing to me..... Anyway, one of the most interesting "reads" I've found is the history of the Pull String on Dave Evans' website. I hadn't been there for a while and found he's added some cool pictures and info on Bernie Leadon's guitar. Not to mention guitars Dave built or modified for Richard Bennett, Joe South, Freddy Weller, John Beland, Albert Lee, Al Perkins.......and a whole bunch of other b-bending cats.

http://www.evanspullstring.com/

I'm pretty proud that one of my guitars (as well as Silverface and several other TDPRI regulars) is included in the recent photo gallery!

Below are a couple pictures of my two G&Ls with Pull Strings that Dave added.

By the way, I'm not affiliated in any way...just a fan of a great guy who is one of the pioneers of the "bender" and one of the reasons we're all here at the B-Bender Forum.

Attached Files:

2. Big Tony

Big Tony Friend of Leo's

Very interesting! And a very nice pair of b-bender axes! :cool:

/ Tony

3. asatfan

asatfan Friend of Leo's

Thanks Tony.

They were good guitars to start with, and with the benders, they're even better!

Some of those early bender installations are something. The progression and development is interesting, for sure. Wish I could have been around when this was all coming about. What a trip!

4. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I'd love to try an Evans bender.
    I've never even seen one, in the, uh, "wood", so to speak.
    They look extremely well made.
    I've used Hipshots for 30 years, and have only one complaint.
    The look.
    I know, shallow reason.
    I've also had Parsons/Green, and Glasers, and played dozens of
    Parsons/White Teles.
    Both very good, but the Evans looks like the best "machine".
    Albert and Bernie are huge influences, so I'd better start savin'!

5. asatfan

asatfan Friend of Leo's

Hey Bill,

If you ever get to Indiana, let me know....you can test drive mine!

Very much worth saving for.

6. MrSea

MrSea Tele-Meister

Ditto on the quality and playability of the Evans Pull String. I have number 007 of the newer lightweight version installed in a 52 Hot Rod Tele. It is ultra smooth, totally adjustable and very hard to put down.

image-2704320676.jpg

Sent from my iPad using TDPRI

Last edited: Dec 26, 2013
  7. Silverface

Silverface Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

I'm lucky enough to have the initial production stainless-steel Pull String, and it's in a one-off installation Dave did for me in a Japanese '69 Thinline reissue body. The guitar actually LOST weight with the bender installation, even with a few small blocks added for support. That's the one nicknamed "The Terminator" - partially because of the looks, but also due to the sound - with a Velvet Hammer VHTBX "boost coil" bridge pickup, a '68 bridgeplate/brass saddles and Harmonic Design Mini-Strat neck pickup it's got to be the ballsiest Thinline on the planet. I've played it head-to head with dual-humbucker Thinlines and it just buries them. I'm sure the Pull String mechanism, with the combination of stainless steel and Delrin, adds some tonal "punch" with additional stiffness in key areas and added resonance (it sustains for days with beautifully controllable feedback on command).

But the really top of the bender world are the 4 Titanium Special Pull Strings Dave made. I've been lucky enough to play all of them and they are absolutely stunning in every way, each with a slightly different take on woods, finishing and electronics. They're at John Carruthers' shop in Camarillo CA for sale - If I wasn't on a fixed income I'd buy one in a nanosecond, as they're (IMO) a bargain for a type of bender that will never be made again, each in a custom guitar.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.