1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Some specific things I've learned NOT to do by working in close proximity with people

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by blowtorch, May 15, 2017.

1. Mechanic

Mechanic Friend of Leo's

When I worked in rail, we had pits to walk under the cars. I refused to work with a joker we called gas bag. He would wait until there was at least 3 others with him before offending everyone. You couldn't get out fast enough.

Rustbucket likes this.
  2. faasie85

faasie85 Tele-Meister

never try to make use of public transport without wearing pants

3. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

-Never reply to a Cow-orkers question with " excuse me where you whinning at me?, I was ignoring you",
    -or if some one starts moving things around your desk while you are collating or organizing, say to them "Please stop you are being a constipator, your messing with my $*it"
    -Never say the first thing that pops into your head , although it may be hillarious, it will no doubt be inappropriate.
    -Never reply to a superior in their own foriegn accent, I did this at a table full of supervisors , superintendants, and plant managers, when the the plant manager sugested he might have to bring a turbin for me to wear if my hair got any longer, I answered back in his accent that I would have to talk just like him. ( sounds of my carreer going flush down the toilet , and assorted gasps from my peers and superiors). he and I later developed a lot of respect for each other,

Last edited: May 16, 2017
    Tremade likes this.
  4. Tremade

Tremade Tele-Holic

faasie85 likes this.
  5. dogwatermike

dogwatermike Tele-Meister

Well, you've just disallowed a key management tool!

televillian, teletimetx and Tremade like this.
  6. Darkness

Darkness Tele-Afflicted

Don't answer the voices in your head aloud.

7. william tele

william tele Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I'm very repulsed by negligent body odor. I'm not talking about showering in the AM and going to work and sweating...it's the "not showered or used BO Stopper for a few days" type that I simply can't be in proximity of.

My wife tells a story about needing to cash travelers checks in Ireland and her family walked into a stately, beautiful bank building full of very nicely dressed people....except...

The whole place smelled like BO to the nth degree. It's just something that was apparently acceptable there but would generally freak out your average American...

For this reason I think that we were transported to a time previous to the 1950's some of us would put a gun to our head rather than live with the stench that was common place in days of old.

8. Flakey

Flakey Friend of Leo's

Don't be so concerned with what others are doing around you.

When I worked in cubicle land as soon as my hand pulled open the front door of the office building. I saw no more than 5 feet in front of me to insure that I did not run into anyone around me other than that I was on auto pilot. Building on fire? I couldn't tell you. Someone yell at the top of their voice next to me? I didn't notice. I made a bee line straight to my cubicle and exchanged the required greetings if one was rendered to me. When I got to my cube I sat down started up the computer, checked my voice mail NOT ON SPEAKER PHONE and started my workday. Lunch time I left my work area and building and returned in the same manner as when I arrived at the beginning of the day. 5 pm. I simply did the reverse as the morning.

It worked very well.

Wedding, birthday, etc. invitations. Sorry I have x,y,z happening that day but thank you. Weddings got a card and $20.00 from me and the mrs. (really after all that's what they really wanted anyways.)

I worked 10 years at some places and all they knew about was I was married and played guitar on occasion.

One of the secrets to a happy life.

Uncle Bob, kuvash and blowtorch like this.
  9. jackinjax

jackinjax Friend of Leo's

Don't tell anyone in the office anything in confidence that you wouldn't mind the rest of the office knowing.
    On the other side of that coin, when someone in the office asks you if you can keep a secret, emphatically answer, NO.

10. Flakey

Flakey Friend of Leo's

Yes! Essential in avoiding perceived alliances that will ultimately bring you down!

jackinjax likes this.
  11. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

On the other hand, what do you do if work is getting on your nerves?

I once had sardines every day for a week. I recommend it!

haggardfan1 likes this.
  12. haggardfan1

haggardfan1 Friend of Leo's

Don't interact. Any more than you absolutely have to. Do your job, do other people's jobs, and then some; but do not interact.

Politely reject any advance from co-workers, be it platonic or otherwise.

DO NOT become casually or sexually involved with anyone. (This means anyone; not just co-workers.) I repeat: do not interact more than necessary. With anyone, not just co-workers.

Make a high impact, and keep a low profile. This is the best advice I've ever received, and it was from a boss I hated.

13. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Years ago, while touring your fair country, with a Trail, BC native, among others, I had a similar experience.
    Our drummer, and Trail native son, Rick was the only smoker in the band.
    He liked to smoke, and did, whenever and wherever.
    Three band members drove the bus, Rick and one other member didn't/couldn't drive.
    After driving my shift on a long haul, I went to the bunks and tried to sleep
    Whenever Rick lit up, I'd wake up.
    I can't sleep in a confined space with a smoker.
    I'm got even.
    After he fell asleep, I stopped for gas.
    I bought three sardine tins, opened all three, sat two on sleeping Rick's chest, and ate the other.
    He woke up with a start (or stench), and anointed himself and his sleeping bag with the aromatic contents.
    He was choked, and I was glad.
    Inconsiderate so and so.
    Actually, later we became good friends.
    Thanks for listening.

Tremade likes this.
  14. mauer62

mauer62 Tele-Holic

I can express my anger at work but I am a boss lol.

15. ronzhd

ronzhd Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

Um, I still do all these things..... sorry.

16. TwangToInfinity

TwangToInfinity Tele-Afflicted

one thing though i really like hearing whistling especially if theyre good at it!

my dad was a great whistler

17. thunderbyrd

thunderbyrd Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I learned to work alone. Get along with everyone just fine.

18. ndcaster

ndcaster Poster Extraordinaire

don't go onto the roof to take photos, let the attic trapdoor hit you on the head when you come down, and need the EMT to take you to the ER while the rest of your colleagues have to fill out FMLA forms for the nth time

SoulstormTX likes this.
  19. beyer160

beyer160 Friend of Leo's

Don't keep your collection of naked hooker pictures in your tech case. I might need to borrow something someday when you're not around.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2017
    SoulstormTX and Felino like this.
  20. Jack S

Jack S Friend of Leo's

Don't overdo it when putting dead fish in the bottom of your boss' drawer. One is generally enough.

Only remove one screw from his office chair. More just looks suspicious.

william tele likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.