1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Some specific things I've learned NOT to do by working in close proximity with people

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by blowtorch, May 15, 2017.

1. Tonemonkey

Tonemonkey Poster Extraordinaire

To keep Rb's construction theme:

No job is so important that it can't be done safely.

Rustbucket likes this.
  2. RoyBGood

RoyBGood Doctor of Teleocity

I've found that discussing music, of all things can be incredibly divisive - especially in mixed age groups. At college, I actually saw people resort to fistfights to settle a 'who's best' argument! :eek:

SoulstormTX likes this.
  3. Chicago Matt

Chicago Matt Friend of Leo's

Don't eat the fuzzy green stuff in the Tupperware that's been in the refrigerator for the past two weeks.

teletimetx likes this.
  4. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Ad Free Member

Definite olfactory theme in this list. :D

5. falcon5romeo

falcon5romeo Tele-Holic

In an office setting, never let on that you're anything less than 1000% enthusiastic, cheerful and excited to be there. Not allowed.

6. bayside

bayside Tele-Meister

Don't pull on superman's cape, don't lift the mask on the old long ranger and don't mess around with Jim.
    Jim Croche

Chicago Matt likes this.
  7. Chicago Matt

Chicago Matt Friend of Leo's

And don't forget... Don't spit in the wind. LOL

8. mitchfinck

mitchfinck Tele-Holic

I love to talk religion and politics because everyone else is wrong. Didn't you know?
    I actually do enjoy talking about those things if the other person can be rational. I enjoy it far more if they can't.

Also, don't fart. Take a couple of steps first.

9. MuddyDitch

MuddyDitch Tele-Holic

"You look tired" and "have you gained weight" are two of the most innocuous ways to devastate an opponent. Paste a concerned look on your face when you plant the shiv. Laugh later when you are alone.

10. catdaddy

catdaddy Tele-Afflicted

Don't go to work if you think you might be getting the flu (unless of course all of your co-workers have earned some serious retribution).

11. unixfish

unixfish Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

This cracks me up. In our team, almost nothing is off-limits. We discuss religion. We discuss politics. We discuss raising our kids. These conversations go well.

It is the discussions like "the best OS" / "the best phone OS" / "the best development editor" that starts fights.

Yes, we are a team of tech development geeks, if that is what you are thinking.

RoyBGood, Mechanic and mitchfinck like this.
  12. Minimalist518

Minimalist518 Tele-Afflicted

That would be cruel!

RoyBGood likes this.
  13. Minimalist518

Minimalist518 Tele-Afflicted

Don't, as a general rule, hang out with coworkers outside of work. Definitely don't hang with subordinates or people who are likely to be your subordinates in the future.

SoulstormTX and Flakey like this.
  14. 1293

1293 Poster Extraordinaire

And don't piss into the wind. Just last week I thought to myself "this is a bad idea". As usual, I was was right.

15. VintageSG

VintageSG Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

I used to work in I.T. and man alive, some of the members of staff, the epitome of geekdom, could weld titanium with the sheer virulence of their 'pits. It was more than that though. A general stale fuggishness that emanated like a pall hung over the last office I worked in. Heightened by the acrid, bitter tang of 'pits that remained steadfastly uncleansed so as to allow the unpleasant miasma to remind you of its presence with sharp jabs of noxious niffs lest one became accustomed to the background level of smellical warfare. Atop that misery was often applied Lynx ( Axe in the US ).
    I am not a subtle man, and I caused some offence to said putrescent meatbags, for there were two, when I raised the issue with HR. One of the rancid snowflakes took me to task, opening with 'I'm OFFENDED you think I smell bad'. That one had projectile, omnipotent halitosis within his arsenal too. Double the fun(gal) affrontery.
    18 years I wage-slaved as a sysadmin. I bathed every morning ( still do, in case you were wondering ), determined not to fall into the 'smelly Unix geek' stereotype, as did almost everyone, yet every company I worked for had at least one woeful whiff warrior per shift. These proselytisers of putrescence were subject to hints, requests and downright orders to cleanse themselves and wash or replace their clothing, yet such ministrations fell on deaf ears.
    I thus present 'Reeking like a sewer dwelling tramp during a heatwave' as one of the worst things when working in close proximity to others.

16. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

I don't work anymore but when I did, I used to make certain my zipper was all the way up when I went into the office. (extra points for taking this precaution if you like going commando, and I do)

P Thought likes this.
  17. Endless Mike

Endless Mike Friend of Leo's

It's not necessarily about religion, either. Some folks have a hard time with superstitions. Same way some will respond/react to anything else of that sort.

18. Nubs

Nubs Friend of Leo's

I would LOVE to say this to most everyone at work. I work with about 98% females and it's about 98% of what happens around here daily. As a guy it takes a bit of work to learn to ignore this stuff, especially when they think you're interested.

rburd2 and Flakey like this.
  19. David Barnett

David Barnett Doctor of Teleocity

TMI

And maybe illustrative of another workplace "don't"...

20. Frank'n'censed

Frank'n'censed Doctor of Teleocity

Being a Teamster for almost 3 decades, I used to get into it with management about a-holes who'd show up to work sick, even though they had eons of banked, sick time!? Of course, management only had policies about those who missed work

Flakey likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.