Some questions about 920D & Jonny Greenwood Tele

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Skydog1010, Jul 19, 2019.

1. Skydog1010

Skydog1010 Tele-Holic

1. Does anyone have a Tele or Strat modded by Sigler / 920D shop.

If so, recommendations regarding them...yea or nay?

2. What can you tell me about Lace sensor pickups. I'm all ears...thanks.

Are there better options for a "hot rod" tele?

9240_2F1486565515_2F3202-00-85-28-41_hc_01_1024x1024.jpg

Random1643 likes this.
  2. bricksnbeatles

bricksnbeatles Tele-Afflicted

Can't answer anything directly, buuuuut...

-Jonny Greenwood is great, and has some great tones

-I like lace sensors. I don't use them for the same stuff I'd use a regular single coil, but they're great pickups with a distinct tonne

-I bought a Jimmy Page harness from them a while back (there was a sale, and it ended up cheaper than the cost of the pots alone) and it's great quality. I do all my own wiring (I only got it for the cost matter), but I would gladly buy from them again with no hesitation. I'm sure the modded teles they sell are done fantastically!

Skydog1010 likes this.
  3. Skydog1010

Skydog1010 Tele-Holic

Thanks, I appreciate your time and help. At the 2k price point, I am going to dig deeper before I make the cash register ring. o_O

I'm assuming they are hotter than rails.

I actually like the way the guitar is configured with bent steel saddles, open bridge. Neck looks like I would like it. Now to get my hands on one.

4. bricksnbeatles

bricksnbeatles Tele-Afflicted

Perhaps this may be of interest to you? Find a nice cheap tele body and a neck you like, and go nuts!

preactor likes this.
  5. Fretting out

Fretting out Tele-Meister

At that price point have you considered getting an original 90s tele plus and have the same guitar cheaper and unmodded ?

I just checked and you can get one for 1500 and probably less all day long and have all the same features and a more desired instrument overall

In case you’re interested in resale in the future the original will return while the 920D will depreciate

I’ve also heard that the old “fender lace sensors” used in the 90s are a superior product to their current production, may just be internet folklore though.
    Just a couple things to consider

As far as 920D goes I’ve bought a loaded pickguard from them and was completely happy

Last edited: Jul 20, 2019
    Skydog1010 likes this.
  6. Jack Clayton

Jack Clayton Tele-Meister

This may not compare 1:1 to the greenwood tele, but here's a mongrel of mine that has been a splendid performer for me. It's a Warmoth partscaster I bought last year. Had some crap humbuckers in it which I immediately got rid of and threw in a lace sensor blue/red dually that I found on reverb for about fifty bucks.

The biggest surprise to me about guitar and pickup has been how well it plays through my silverface vibro champ. I didnt imagine it playing well with a vintage amp, but those two were just made for each other.

Anyhow, if you're looking into building a tele like this, all I've got to say is go for it. I've certainly been happy with mine.

Attached Files:

Skydog1010 likes this.
  7. Skydog1010

Skydog1010 Tele-Holic

I have a did body dually HB project sitting in the wings and I'm think maybe skirt the lace pups and put in some very nice PAF to Burstbucker Alnico V sounding pups from one of my Agile 3200's. I will Shellac and Lacquer the body probably something like the picture below. I already have my neck. Wife is watching my purchases like a hawk too.

IMG_20171001_181137.jpg

8. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

I bought a custom shop 69 loaded pickguard from 920d years ago and it was nicely done, push back cloth wire, nice clean solder joints etc.

Fretting out and Skydog1010 like this.
  9. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Remember : unless 920D can guarantee you it’s gonna weigh 9-10 lbs like an original, you might as well find one of the real boat anchors like Fretting Out said...

Fretting out and Skydog1010 like this.
  10. John C

John C Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I can say that the original Dually Red Laces were hot - while I didn't play many Tele Pluses back in the day I was really into the Strat Ultras for a while and played a bunch of them. When playing with both "coils"/Laces engaged it's in the range of a Duncan JB in terms of output. When playing just the front "coil"/Lace it's more like Neil Young's tone from Old Black with that Firebird pickup in the bridge position. Again - this was in a Strat; in the Tele it should give you even more oomph.

The blue logo Lace is in the range of a low output PAF-type humbucker, but given that it's single-coil sized it is more like a Duncan Lil '59 than a full-sized humbucker.

Hope that helps a little bit with the sound of the Laces.

Skydog1010 likes this.
  11. Skydog1010

Skydog1010 Tele-Holic

Helps a lot, thank you.

12. FenderGuy53

FenderGuy53 Poster Extraordinaire

Run away fast!

I just typed my reasons why (using my Android phone) and somehow, fat-fingered a key and lost it all! :confused: argghhh!

Long story short: My Sigler 920D Mod Tele arrived with missing screws (some were in the bottom of the box), ill-fitting parts, and body scratches, where parts were force-fit.

When I called, whoever answered told me that they had a "no returns" policy. What? She transferred me to the owner, who told me to send the guitar back, and something about a partial refund.

I called AMEX; they credited the full purchase price.

I will NEVER do business with, or recommend, Sigler Music 920D Shop. Period.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2019
    Skydog1010 likes this.
  13. ahiddentableau

ahiddentableau Tele-Meister

On the forums lace sensors come across as a love/hate sort of thing. There are people who absolutely love them, and there people who can't stand them. I don't really get why people would hate them. They are solid pickups. They're quiet, they don't have a strong magnetic pull so you can set them however you like without worrying about problems, and they are available in so many different kinds of configurations that you could get close to any kind of sound you'd want. I've heard it said that one reason is that they are a little "hifi" sounding. I have no idea what that means. What you do miss with them is that resonant peak you get with vintage single coils, that bit of honky-ness in the high midrange. It's just not there in the same way on a lace, so if you're dead set on the standard vintage sound you aren't going to get 100 percent of the way there. Some people can't stand that, and my best guess is that's why there's some haters out there. But if you can live with that--and it never bothered me--then you're going to love them.

I love the red lace sensor in the bridge position on my strat. It's the best pickup I've ever used for that application--hot and balanced and it sounds great with a TBX set to treble boost. I like the silver and the gold singles too--they have a bright clean sound that does most everything a regular single coil does but without the noise (and the "honk"). I'm not too keen on the blue--it sounds a bit too bassy for my tastes--but lots of people like them.

I bought a wiring kit for my jazzmaster build from 920. Most of it was of good quality, the only exception was the output jack which was billed as switchcraft but it wasn't. It was a strange jack--a type I'd never seen before. Not saying it was really low quality or anything, just not what I expected from reading the description. Not a big deal by any means, but I don't understand why they would misrepresent that.

Good luck on your project. Sounds like a good one.

Skydog1010 likes this.
  14. Skydog1010

Skydog1010 Tele-Holic

Thank you very much for sharing.

15. Milspec

Milspec Friend of Leo's

The guys at 920D are mostly players themselves, bought many loaded pickguards from them over the years and always received great results. I see no reason why their guitar assembly would be any less quality.

As for the Lace Sensors, I like them and kept them on my Strat-Plus. They provide a more compressed tone than a normal single coil. Some find that lifeless while others find that great. Depends on if you like compression I guess.

ahiddentableau and Skydog1010 like this.
  16. ahiddentableau

ahiddentableau Tele-Meister

Great description. That's so true.

Skydog1010 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.