1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Some Props to Fender for Making This Right

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by joe.attaboy, Apr 13, 2021.

1. joe.attaboy

joe.attaboy TDPRI Member

Hi, everyone,

I haven't posted in a long time after having unloaded my partcaster and off-brand Teles some years ago. I wasn't much of a player and life really got in the way, so I moved on for a while. I have been lurking here when possible because all the forums are so great.

Anyway, I'm retiring next year and during the pandemic (like others), I considered picking up the guitar again, since I wanted to do something creative after I'm done working. After a lot of thought, I decided on a Squier Classic Vibe Starcaster. The instrument is beautiful, I loved how it sounded in the hands of players, and the price for it was reasonable. I bought one directly from Fender in mid January, it arrived quickly...then....

About a week or so after it arrived, the bridge pickup pretty much quit working. I contacted Fender via their site and they recommended bringing it to an authorized repair location, of which there is only one in the Jacksonville region - a location of a large well-known musical instrument dealer that shall remain nameless here. I dropped off the guitar in early February and waited....seven weeks. The "tech" was rarely there, wasn't very responsive, and I wasn't getting any real answers. Their basic excuse was "we are waiting for the replacement part, and it's slow because COVID..."

I contacted Fender customer support for some help. They were great and promised to look into it, since it shouldn't have taken more than three-four weeks for the part to arrive and get the guitar fixed. They contacted me a week later and told me the shop would call me because the repairs were done. They didn't. I called them a few days later and after a long wait on the phone, they found my guitar and told me it was ready. I should have tested it when I picked it up, but I was needed elsewhere. I arrived home later, plugged in and it worked...for about five minutes. Apparently, the issue may have been someplace other than the pickup (I'm thinking wiring or the pickup switch). I thought of bringing it back, but really didn't want to wait another few weeks for this to get fixed (I don't understand why they didn't troubleshoot this to make sure it was the pickup and not something else to begin with - I gave them a guess on what the problem might have been).

Now Fender has a 30-day return policy on new instruments. My position was that I had it less than two weeks and it sat in a shop for nearly eight weeks, so my hope was that they would waive the 30-day rule and replace it.

I contacted them by phone, had a discussion with one of their reps and after a wait of a couple of days, he got management approval to replace the guitar. They sent me a FedEx return label to send the old one back (luckily, I kept the shipping boxes) and the new one arrived today. This one is perfect and the guitar sure sounds a LOT better with two working pickups!

I wanted to share this story to give Fender some props for taking care of a customer the way they did. I understand their policy on returns, but they apparently agreed that I was far too inconvenienced by the long wait for a new instrument to be fixed.

Here it is, looking very pretty and waiting for me to crank things up again.

cv_starcaster.jpg

Thanks for taking the time to read my tl;dr story. Be seeing y'all around.

2. Fearnot

Fearnot Poster Extraordinaire

Nice story. But maybe they could've tossed in a CuNiFe WRHB or two for your trouble. ;)

3. DeepDangler

DeepDangler Tele-Meister

Glad they helped you out! Cool guitar! Hope you enjoy your journey with the instrument.

4. StevesBoogie

StevesBoogie Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Your guitar is stunning!! I had never seen a Starcaster until this forum about 4 months ago, and everytime I see one I love them. Glad you got things sorted out.

joe.attaboy likes this.
  5. Telekarster

Telekarster Tele-Afflicted

Well... glad you finally got that resolved! Geesh.... what a mess though. Shouldn't have been that tough to begin with. These days it seems one must be VERY patient. Got a buddy who's remoddin' his bathroom. Ordered a new vanity top... it's been 5 weeks and they're still sayin' "sorry... maybe next week... covid ya know...." :confused:

6. joe.attaboy

joe.attaboy TDPRI Member

LOL. Hey, I was just happy to get the new guitar.

Maybe next time...

7. joe.attaboy

joe.attaboy TDPRI Member

Thanks. The look of the guitar really struck me. I love semis and hollow bodies, and since I can't swing a 335 right now, I actually thought of a Tele Slimline. Then I saw this, heard it in some videos and was sold. Even one of the sales guys at the store was impress with it.

StevesBoogie likes this.
  8. bender66

bender66 Poster Extraordinaire

Even the Affinity version of this guitar looks appealing.

The stock faux pickups sounded pretty decent in the reviews.

Glad you got it sorted out.

Steve Holt likes this.
  9. joe.attaboy

joe.attaboy TDPRI Member

Me, too. I chose the CV over the Infinity because all the reviews I read said the same basic thing: that the quality of the CV was worth the extra $100. Most pointed out cleaner fret work, especially the edges along each side of the neck. The higher price wasn't an issue; based on the videos, images and in-person looks I had, it was no question as to which one to get.

bender66 likes this.
  10. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Friend of Leo's

Cool guitar! I have only had a limited experience with Fender customer service. But it has been very good. Glad it worked out for you. Manufacturing isn't perfect so I never get "angry" if something goes wrong with a purchase. But it's so nice when the vendor handles it.

joe.attaboy likes this.
  11. NoTeleBob

NoTeleBob Tele-Holic

Happy NGD.

joe.attaboy likes this.
  12. thankyouguitar

thankyouguitar Tele-Meister

Way to hang in there with it. And beautiful guitar!

joe.attaboy likes this.
  13. Abre

Abre Tele-Meister

That is a super cool guitar! Bummer you had to go through that to get it, but glad it worked out. Happy jamming!

joe.attaboy likes this.
  14. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's

Excellent. That's the way customer service should work. I hope they reamed the music store that shall remain nameless.

Note: Always keep the boxes! Break them down flat and stash them.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2021
    joe.attaboy likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.