Some of y'all may like this, especially you Obsessed.

Discussion in 'Acoustic Heaven' started by Chick-N-Picker, Jan 20, 2020.

1. Chick-N-Picker

Chick-N-Picker Friend of Leo's

I have been familar with The Loar guitars for a while. I really loked the couple models that I had seen. The BrownStone was my favorite as it tried to copy a L-1, except it was a 14 fretter.

However I just stumbled on to some new models of The Loar I had never heard of, the LO-14, LO-16, & LO-18. They sound really really dang good to me on the videos I have watched so far. And they nail the look of a 30's Gibson. Here is a tasty video of dude playing one of The Loar LO-18. It is more like the 30's L-1's or L-00's in the body shape and 14 frets.

Usually reviews don't include playing like this. Just strummy chords and fingertyle, which I like to know but I also must know how a guitar sounds being played like this. I think I may finally know the small body guitar I would like to have. And just carry it with me until the end, however long that may be. Besides the old blues guys & country guys usually carried cheap model guitars anyways. Even if it was Gibson/Martin, it normally was the lowest end model. At this point in time, however, I currently have no funds even for the cheapest.....:lol:.

@Obsessed It's not an actual L-1 (from the 20's or 30's) or an L00 but it's as close and as cheap as I have found.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2020
    Obsessed, 24 track and Straydogger like this.
  2. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I like the size of it, now if only my fat fingers can fit on the first fret we're in!

3. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

Thanks so much for thinking of me @Chick-N-Picker . I do have an Eastman 12 fret parlor (spendy)and the spruce top Epi EL-00 Pro, pictured on the right below. The EL-00 is shockingly good for the price and way better than any Loar I have ever tried, just to let you know. It is a 14 fretter, but the pick-up is incredible for the price of the guitar. It is so good, my wife bought the mahogany top version EL-00 pro and it is just as good. The only thing I've done to either are Tusq saddle and strings. They even come with a reasonably shape and size headstock.:rolleyes: Nevertheless, thank you again. I need people to look out for me.:) IMG_4080.JPG

Chick-N-Picker likes this.
  4. Chick-N-Picker

Chick-N-Picker Friend of Leo's

Oh yeah, I forgot you had an Eastman parlor. I checked out those Episphone EL-00's and maybe it was the videos I chose but they sounded ok, but didn't sound the way I expected. Could have ben the mic or even phone nowadays. Probably why it's best to try anything in person if possible. I do really like the sound of the LO-18 in that video but who knows what tricks they may be pulling to help it out. Haha. Man, we need a time machine to go back and just pick up a couple L-1' and L-00's.....that and to buy stocks right after the crash of 29, they'd be worth a fortune now.

Obsessed likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.