Some Men, When Facing Middle Age...

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by JayJ, Mar 8, 2016.

1. LutherBurger

LutherBurger Friend of Leo's

Bruce Jenner started wearing earrings when he was 61. ;)

2. Frank'n'censed

Frank'n'censed Doctor of Teleocity

Talkin' 'bout his re-J-J-Jenneration . . .

3. Tele1966

Tele1966 Friend of Leo's

In retrospect my midlife crisis at 50 was marrying a fun party girl. Big fake boobs, great bod, pretty, and crazed. I left the marriage after nine months. It was a monumental nightmare.

Shango66 likes this.
  4. bigbean

bigbean Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

The only piercing I ever thought was cool..................................
    Go with bolts.jpg

5. tery

tery Poster Extraordinaire

I never figured out if you were supposed to pierce the Right ear
    or the Left ear ? Not wanting to take any chances I didn't get either ear pierced .

Stringbanger likes this.
  6. Stringbanger

Stringbanger Telefied Ad Free Member

I'm glad!:D

7. P-Nutz

P-Nutz Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I'm 55, and have double-pierced ears (both sides) and numerous tattoos. Got my first tattoos in my 20s (ears pierced in college) and my latest tat two weeks ago.

I am relatively fit, doing yoga, taekwondo and Zumba (Yes, Zumba!) with my wife of almost 30 years, who got HER first tattoo a year ago, and her second when I did, a couple of weeks back. None of mine "sag" or look much different from when I first got them, except for a little fading.

Dunno why I started doing either, whether to look cool or whatever, but I like 'em a lot. I have never really cared what others think about me (or the tats and earrings) although I also don't try too hard to make others look. Sometimes some things show, sometimes not ...

I'm a middle school administrator, and I play in a couple of fairly-popular local bands, not that either of those really mean anything ...

Peace.

8. tap4154

tap4154 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

61, still wear the same kinda sandals, tees and shorts/trunks I did as a teen, but have shorter hair. Put sneakers on when I work (self-employed contractor) and 501s the few weeks that it's cold here. Whole tattoo, piercing, cigarette smoking deal never affected or tempted me, but I did participate in the 70s-80s in other ways... Always gone my own way. A true rebel, I guess ;)

9. coloradojeff

coloradojeff Tele-Holic

I just bought a new Porsche... less hassle than a tat or piercing.

10. Bill

Bill Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

I went back to college (while working though), got a masters in liberal arts, quit my job, became a freelance travel-, guitar-, and fiction writer, changed my citizenship, and moved to a different country.

11. 4pickupguy

4pickupguy Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

No earring? I see, afraid of change then...

LutherBurger likes this.
  12. overlock

overlock Tele-Afflicted

A little ear stud isn't too bad. At least you can just stop wearing it in a few years when piercings go out of fashion. A tattoo, on the other hand, well... I feel sorry for all the little kids now who will be growing up into a world of hideously tattooed wrinklies.

But as for mid-life crisis, isn't that supposed to be about kicking over the traces, an act of rebellion after decades of meek compliance? Nowadays, getting inked and pierced is more like submitting to the mainstream. The real rebels are the ones who don't do it.

songtalk likes this.
  13. songtalk

songtalk Friend of Leo's

And the awful beard + shaved side head combover. I am so tired of seeing the super long beard 20-somethings with the Hitler youth haircuts. (Edit to add: I hope this isn't too offensive to anyone seriously....I just can't help but think of that when I see the shaved sides and pomade top)

Tatoos and piercings are definitely "in" too but, OH MY GAWD, stop with the Paul Bunyan meets 1930s Germany man-fashion!

I keep seeing grown men with families looking like that and I'm like :eek:

Last edited: Mar 10, 2016
  14. Stringbanger

Stringbanger Telefied Ad Free Member

Well spoken, sir!

15. Uncle Joe

Uncle Joe Friend of Leo's

No piercings or tats on this old bod. Whenever I go into age-related crisis mode (I'm 53) I join a sports team. I'm playing over fifty travel soccer now. My team was 0-10 in the Spring season prior to my arrival. I practiced with them in the Summer and we went 7-2-1 in the Fall. I nearly killed myself. It was great. My personal highlight was scoring the winner of a 0-0 battle in stoppage time from a goalie punt to midfield. I tapped it over first defense, beat the sweeper and got crushed by the defensive wing just as I shot. When I picked myself up from the pitch the ball was in the net. They kicked off and the whistle blew. 1-0, we win. It makes life worth living.

I've been playing a bit over the winter, but mostly just healing up so I can leave it all out on the pitch again this season.

If I could find an over fifty hockey travel team around here I'd sign up for that again too, even though it's murder on my hands and I worry about dislocating fingers. Not good for guitar playing.

Helping a team win makes a person feel more alive. The subsequent pain is worth it.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2016
  16. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

My crew pierces or punctures via our sports injuries. We're all 10-20 years older than this crew, don't go quite as big (some do).

Extremes such as piercing, tattoos, hair seem even more silly with age but that could be said about my pack of bikers and skiers who hang with kids because that's where the fun and action are.

Being over the hill:

17. Red Square

Red Square Friend of Leo's

I just turned 60 and have been seriously looking at C6 Corvette's, but I am convinced these two things are in no way related.
    I went through my mid life crisis at 29. Funny thing about mid life crisis'....many terrible and many wonderful things come from them.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.