1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Some irks and questions on new MIM standard

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by jmreyes, Oct 12, 2009.

1. jmreyes

jmreyes TDPRI Member

Three weeks into my Tele transition and im starting to really like it. Pretty satisfied all in all.

I just have some irks and questions i hope some of the more experienced people can clear out.

I bought this MIM Standard Tele new but its an older model. 07' or 08' since the serial number says MZ7xxxx. I've read the newer 09' models have a slightly darker neck tint.

1) Is the neck on mine tinted as well? I cant really tell.

2) What kind of changes over time should I expect from a satin urethane finished neck like this?

2) The E and B strings don't hold its tuning quite well. Mixed some Vaseline and some pencil graphite shavings and applied some to the nut slots and under the string tree. Kinda helped. But it still goes out of tune from time to time. Any other cause I should look in to?

3) The frets were a bit sharp when I first used it but after some playing, they're not as bad anymore. They're kinda dull at the moment though. Whats the safest way to polish them up nicely?

4) I noticed this weird paint discoloration / separation on the lower edges of the body. Both at the back and front. The edges/corners have lighter paint compared to the other parts of the body.

Here's a photo showing the location of the weird paint problem. In red.
    http://img63.imageshack.us/img63/9049/23679645.jpg
    The photo doesn't show the problem since this isnt my photo. Just pointing out the location. Is this normal?

I guess that's all.

I hope someone can shine some light.

Thanks TDPRI.

:p

2. Gene Machine

Gene Machine Tele-Meister

i'll try

The necks are usually not tinted on MIM teles. BUT if your really eager to have a tinted one, i've heard that brown KIWI shoe polish works. You can search for it, and find lots of threads here.

If you play it it will eventually get a nice patina. A friend of mine has a US strat with a very bright maple neck, and he has some nice wear patterns on it, mostly sweat mixed with dirt i think.

as far as the discoloured edges, not sure, i can't see it. maybe it is just where the paint dried unevenly and gives a different colour.

I used to have a MIM tele with sharp fret edges, and they can be CAREFULLY filed down. Proper humidification can help too.

enjoy. I love that colour on a tele.

g.

3. kp8

kp8 Friend of Leo's

You can polish your frets with 0000 steel wool, but watch the wool dust doesn't get on your p/ups. I tape over the p/ups and also you can use a magnet to pickup the stray bits. I used 0000 for years. Also good for getting gunk off the fretboard.

You can also use the Planet Waves fret polishing papers. Which i really like. I was shocked how well these worked. Huge bonus with these is that you don't have the steel wool dust to worry about and can polish your frets in front of the TV instead of going out side to shine them up.

I have also heard some talk of folks using steel wool and then leather (suede?) to get a real glassy shine. I don't know how to do that.

-kp

4. thejerk

thejerk Tele-Meister

Ha, I saw that photo and was confused... That's my tele! Fame at last.

They do have a slight tint to the necks.

For tuning issues on B and E, also lube the string tree. Some chap stick, or your vaseline/graphite concoction on a Q-tip should do the trick.

5. Rolling Estonian

Rolling Estonian Friend of Leo's

Navin R. Johnson. I am somebody!!!!!!!! Classic movie!

6. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

1) Not really. Sunlight will do it;

2) It should polish up in the areas you touch, as you play;

2) Explore new ways of stringing up, or convert the guitar to Gotoh split shaft tuners;

3) Meguiar's Scratch X with polish them up fast. Watch how fast this product with turn a rag black. Use a small piece of cloth, then toss the cloth.
    The neck will get polished in the process, but it can't be helped.

7. shinigami747

shinigami747 Tele-Holic

hello!

re: B and E string detuning:
    considering that you've lubed the slots and the string tree, your B and E nut slots might be a wee bit too narrow. based on what i've experienced and info from this site, fender nuts (or just about any mass produced guitar) leave a lot to be desired.

or your strings are simply still stretching (?).

another problem could be the way the strings are wound onto the tuner posts. little details like overlapping string winds could cause tuning problems.

re: sharp fret ends
    saw a site that suggested the use of an emery board (that popsicle stick looking thing that girls use to file their nails) to very carefully file off the sharp ends of the frets. not enough humidity (possible cause of fret ends poking out of the neck edges) should not be a problem because the philippines is insanely humid.

re: the cosmetics (neck tint, neck changes over time, discolored body)
    unfortunately i'm not too knowledgeable regarding stuff like that.

best of luck with the tuning issue, and i hope you enjoy your tele!

8. jmreyes

jmreyes TDPRI Member

Haha. I just googled it. :oops:

Im sure the strings are stretched by now.
    Yah. I think the slots are too narrow as i heard pinging sounds before I lubed it. Ive read that folding a sandpaper and widening the slot should work.

TO ALL:
    Will the necks overall color become darker in time? Or just same color but worn out?

Would fine sandpaper work on polishing frets instead of 0000 steel wool? Would i have to do a setup (truss rod, action, intonation, etc.) if remove all the string and polish the frets?

Regarding the paint discoloration, its located on the edges only of the lower part of the body. Very noticeably lighter. Will try to take a picture of it.

9. brianbanjos

brianbanjos TDPRI Member

I have a new mim Tele Standard. When I was trying them out I noticed that some had untinted necks and others a slight tint. Mine has a slight tint to it but its really only noticible next to an untinted one.

What I have experienced is that the guitar really needed a good setup. I bought mine at Guitar Center and I think they just take them out of the box, tune them up (maybe) and hang them on the wall. Some nut work will take care of the going out of tune and playing sharp at the first frets issue. The neck needed a touch of relief to cure some lower e string buzzing but the heavier strings I prefer took care of that. The fretwork on mine was pretty good, intonation up the neck was spot on, and the action was where I expect most people would like it. So to sum up and echo what others have said, set up, set up, set up. Youll be amazed at the result!

10. superbadj

superbadj Poster Extraordinaire

don't take SANDPAPER to widen your nut slots.

Take a string that is one size larger (if you use .010s, get a set of .011s and use the tips).

Just take the .011 bass E string and slide it back and forth through the slot the .010 E string goes into, and then follow along with the other strings (A string from the larger pack to widen the slot for the A string you're using). Just be careful not to go much or at all deeper, just wider.

11. Southpaw Tele

Southpaw Tele Friend of Leo's

I can answer on the neck issue. I've had my '07 Tele for a year now and the neck has visibly changed in that time. It has a tint that it did not have when I bought it. I imagine it will continue to darken over time.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.