some information Help to reglue a fret board properly, please!

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by 24 track, Jun 12, 2021.

1. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I've posted pics of my Tiesco beltone, hound dog taylor ( with matching amps) before , I heard these pickups being played for slide and OMG they rock .

the issues were on this guitar that the rocker switches were toast , so :
    1) I was able to make a suitable switching arrangement that fit the guitar ( no new holes)
    2) I shielded the body cavity with copper tape
    3) the fret board had lifted so I removed it , sanded the neck filled any divots with sawdust and glue, sanded some more ( fretboard is brazillian rose wood)
    4) Reseated and re tapped the truss rod and remade a new truss rod cover below the fretboard ( the original was broken under the fret board)
    5) replaced the pots with CTS, labled the pick up order and resistence ( orange drops for caps)removed the bridge and found a Fender Jaguar bridge fit with out modification ( yeah)
    6)replaced the tail piece with a generic one ( removing that awful tremolo bar assembley)

Now I have to re-install the fret board my question is 2 fold,
    1) the right hand side of the fret board is missing the binding (0.04 in) what is a good source for white binding, I only need 2 feet of it.
    2) is better to glue the neck first then do the binding or is it better to bind first then glue ?

for any one who builds, I would be appreciative for your opinions,
    Thank you

P3060074.jpg P1012148.JPG P1012151.JPG P1012156.JPG P1012192.JPG

2. SPUDCASTER

SPUDCASTER Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Dan Erlewine has videos mainly through StewMac on the subject. I'd bet they carry the binding too.

24 track likes this.
  3. Freeman Keller

Freeman Keller Poster Extraordinaire

StewMac is a good source for plastic binding. The usual glue for pvc binding is acetone based (Ducco or home made stuff) but I use water thin CA which I wick into the seam. I use CA on both plastic and wood, including all binding repairs - I've never had a failure.

I prefer to bind a fretboard before installing it on the neck and before I have fretted it. I like to put a piece of waxed paper on my work bench, clamp two straight pieces of wood the taper of the fretboard. Another option is to glue the f/b back on the neck leaving a channel for the binding - tape it dry and wick the CA into the seam.

Are you planning to refret, if so are you going to fret over the binding or leave nibs?

24 track likes this.
  4. 24 track

the present binding is not nibbied so i was going to follow that , the frets are fairly good (surprise for a 60 year old+ guitar) one sujestion given to me to align the neck is to take the 2 small points off of a couple of thumb tacks and drill 2 tiny very shallow pilot holes in the fret board and once glued and clampped will prevent the FB from shifting out of position ( I did not lift any frets to create a guide hole ) rooky mistake LOL

Boreas likes this.
  5. Boreas

Boreas Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Will you be happy with two different shades of neck binding? You may want to replace both sides with "vintaged" binding.

24 track likes this.
  6. Freeman Keller

I almost always fret my boards before gluing them on to the neck. Sometimes I dowel the f/b and neck (that way I don't have to run brads thru the fret slots), sometimes I just carefully jig it so the f/b can't move as I apply the clamps. Glue is a very good lubricant when you don't want things to move. Put a dummy nut in, push the board tight against it and use some clamps sideways to center the board on the neck. Knock the nut out before the glue sets.

The problem with the frets and binding is that most binding is 0.250 tall and most fretboards have been sanded into a curve so the sides aren't that tall. If I'm doing it from scratch I slot and radius the board and install the markers, then add the binding. The binding is standing proud of the board, I scrape it flush and then fret over the binding (I hate nibs). You have a slightly different problem in that you need to fit the binding under the ends of the frets. I've never done this but I would be tempted to install the binding while the f/b is off and push it up below the frets as tight as you can get it. It will be standing proud of the bottom of the f/b, scrape that off level and glue to the neck.

The orange c-clamps are keeping the f/b from slipping sideways

IMG_2618.JPG

Often vintage binding does not discolor but the lacquer over it does dramatically. However vintage binding might be cellulose with can turn rotten and just crumble - modern binding is usually pvc. I've replaced vintage binding and had to futz around with tinting the lacquer to match, but its possible.

24 track likes this.
  7. 24 track

I will be happy to turn this into a playable instrument , albeit not original , but the original parts are too rare and the cost for already worn parts is rediculous , and believe it or not there have been some considerable improvements since tiesco made this unit ,:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
    I've seen Dan Erliwines video on staining binding using tea as a stain I may try that,
    there are so many short cuts in the manufacture that to make it perfect will prohibitive on most levels
    my choices here are to make this playable or leave it as a wall hanger and all original, then I heard these pickups for slide and OMG they are perfect for the genre
    so it is a fun project

Boreas likes this.
  8. 24 track

thank you that's exactly just what I needed, I'm in no rush for completeion to do it wrong so that gives me time to tweak any details , but the processes I have not done before and the order of things is the key., and you confirmed what I was thinking

9. Freeman Keller

Here is a picture of how I clamp binding to the fretboard. Put waxed paper under the board and wrap it around the binding, tap it down against the work bench with a hammer and block of wood. You can see how the binding is proud of the f/b which might give you problems with your frets.

IMG_6032.JPG

24 track likes this.
  10. 24 track

WOW, very cool, great info there! thank you

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.