some help on "ain't no grave", please?

thunderbyrd

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
hello, everybody! and Merry Christmas to all!

i have not posted much at all on TDPRI the past few months because i have been sort of out of it regarding playing guitar. but i have recently been honored to return to playing P&W at church, after a layoff of over a year. i have given up trying to become the 63 yr old Rory Gallagher and am glad just to be a servant, serving.

but that doesn't mean i just want to strum chords.

when i returned to the platform, i found that our pastor/worship leader is quite enamored with the Molly Scaggs version of "ain't no grave". Molly's version seems to be in Bminor, but we do it in C7-F7 and no other chord. and what's kind of weird is that when we do it, Cminor just doesn't want to work. but "whatever" on that.

what i would like some help om is this version:

Russ Taff - Ain't No Grave (Live) - YouTube

i want to know, if anyone can help, how to play that lick that goes on throughout most of the song. i know i've heard that or some variation on it many times. i know there is some blues rock song with that lick but i can't bring it to mind.

this Russ Taff version is faster than we do it, but in the same key. so my bright idea is to do the slow version for awhile, then kick into this tempo. i'm also working on some nice greasy slide licks.

what can i say - it's an adventure. hope somebody can help me. thanks in advance!

mRtINY

Friend of Leo's
sounds like a 1 5 7- 8 kinda thing.... so, C for an eighth, G for an sixteenth, Bb for a sixteenth, an eighth rest, and an octave C for an eighth... but swing it.

Last edited:

thunderbyrd

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
I think this is the blues rock song you're thinking of:

yes, i am aware that this lick is a descendant of or first cousin of mystery train, but this lick has a more aggressive 60'-70s bluesrock feel. and it's in a different key.

Last edited:

Ascension

Tele-Afflicted
My favorite version of that song is by far this one with Adam and Jason Crabb. They actually do all the verses plus this version rocks pretty good. A little side detour. Last year I was in Gadsden Alabama seeing family and decided to hit some Pawn shops and music stores. Kept running into these 2 guys and one looked kinda familiar finally after kinda playing around on the same amp and swapping some licks asked the guy who he was. It was Jason Crabb! Super nice down to earth guy and in those shops had no ego and was just another picker. Gained my respect as an artist instantly!
Check out this version!

Chester P Squier

Friend of Leo's
I don't play in a praise band, but I do sing in our church choir (it was on a more regular basis before March 2020). In early 2020 "Ain't No Grave" appeared on Planning Center, with the video being the Molly Scaggs version.

It is in b minor. I played along several times with it, usually playing chords on my acoustic.
But when I got out my electric, I found myself playing the riff from the Allman Brothers Band song, "No Way Out."

I went back and listened to the Molly version, and it seems that there is a guitar playing the "No Way Out" riff repeatedly. Just not slide, using frets.

hotraman

Tele-Afflicted
The Russ Taff version, seems to have a blues / minor pentatonic feel. I would slow down the Youtube version and try to learn it at half speed.
I like the Cageless Birds / Molly Skaggs version.
I like to slow it down a bit, and play slide / drop D tuning.
Most younger people don't know that this song has been around for years. I didn't know that either, until I did some online video research.
I admit, I like the lyrics from Bethel, especially the ending tag: "If You walked out of the grave, I'm walking, too"