Some great finds at the record store today.

Jared Purdy

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
I decided to go on the prowl for some LPs this weekend and managed to come home over $200 poorer! But richer it tunes. Abbey Lincoln's 91' release with Stan Getz "you gotta pay the band", has finally been re-issued on vinyl, with a full analogue remastering. Two LPs of blissful music. The recording quality is truly something else. A cheap score was Joe Williams 1963 "Jump for Joy" LP, as was Dinah Washington's 1956 "in the land of HI-Fi" LP, Sarah Vaughn's 1978 Pablo recording "How long has this been going on?", with Oscar Peterson, Joe Pass, Louie Bellson and Ray Brown. How do you say phenomenal performance?

As I was rummaging through the "just arrived" used LP's, I found a still sealed, Stax re-issue of Johnny Taylor's 1968 LP "Who's Making Love...". Man, the 60's were just dripping in fabulous soul. Rounding off the cheapies was a mint, US pressing of Bonnie Raitt's 1972 LP, "Give It Up". I already had a copy (been listening to that for 40 years), but I figured $10 for a mint copy, I'd pass my older one off on my neighbour. He was a happy camper.

I'm not sure how many of you are familiar with Tinariwen, a band who's members hail from Mali? They've been living in exile since the early 2000's because of the civil war, and man, do they create some incredible sounds. I find their music borders on hypnotic. The guitar playing is what they also get noted for, that classic Mali blues sound. They have two new double LPs out. Both were previously issued only as CD. One was their first release, and the other was recorded at a radio station in Mali. The remastering is fantastic, recording quality is top shelf, and really nicely packaged in gate fold jackets with great inserts, liner notes and free download codes.

I almost caved in and bought Verve's new, four LP box set of Charlie Parker doing some gigs in California in the late 40's and early 50's ("Bird in LA"). It sounds like an interesting collection of previous unreleased material, but I decided to take a pass - for now. Any Parker fans amongst you?

Cooking dinner (BBQ'd duck stuffed with wild rice and oysters, listening to tunes and sipping on some really nice rum). Life's good. Weather, not so much.

Last edited:

Spox

Tele-Meister
I had my first visit this year to my favourite music store and spent about $100 in the second hand vinyl/cd sections.
Not going to type out what I bought as I am just randomly putting my hand into the bag and taking something out to play
and I want to keep the element of surprise. The two I've listened to so far were Daby Toure and Skip McDonald-Call My Name and Fu Manchu-California Crossing. To add to the surprise element my turntable went on the blink in 2020 and was only repaired a few months ago and I have six bags of unplayed vinyl buys in the racks not including the one from this week.

Mike Eskimo

Telefied
Ad Free Member
When I saw this thread title my music snob brain said “don’t click, don’t click - it’ll be some guy saying he found a clean copy of the Nylon Curtain or Intensities in Ten Cities !” 🤣

Those are all great finds and yeah - any desert electric guitar stuff especially Tinariwen , is great stuff !

BTW , I have Max Roach’s Percussion Bittersweet w/ Abbey Lincoln stuck in my cars CD player - and I burned it off the mono Lp ! What a nerd ! Great record though…

SixStringSlinger

Poster Extraordinaire
I had my first visit this year to my favourite music store and spent about $100 in the second hand vinyl/cd sections.
Not going to type out what I bought as I am just randomly putting my hand into the bag and taking something out to play
and I want to keep the element of surprise. The two I've listened to so far were Daby Toure and Skip McDonald-Call My Name and Fu Manchu-California Crossing. To add to the surprise element my turntable went on the blink in 2020 and was only repaired a few months ago and I have six bags of unplayed vinyl buys in the racks not including the one from this week.

Them's good problems.

Jared Purdy

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
When I saw this thread title my music snob brain said “don’t click, don’t click - it’ll be some guy saying he found a clean copy of the Nylon Curtain or Intensities in Ten Cities !” 🤣

Those are all great finds and yeah - any desert electric guitar stuff especially Tinariwen , is great stuff !

BTW , I have Max Roach’s Percussion Bittersweet w/ Abbey Lincoln stuck in my cars CD player - and I burned it off the mono Lp ! What a nerd ! Great record though…
Oh, you're talking about "Straight Ahead", with Coleman Hawkins, Eric Dolphy and others. Ya, great album. Most of her stuff is pretty esoteric. It's not like Fitzgerald or Holiday where scores of new and used LPs of theirs can be had on any day. It's taken me a while to pick up the six or seven LP's of her's that I have. I have the same problem with Betty Carter. She's another one where finding her older material on vinyl is like finding a needle in a haystack. I could solve these various "itches" with Discogs, which I have used many times in the past, but the shipping doubles the cost, so I try to avoid them these days. Besides, Discogs takes the fun out of looking for used LPs. Half the pleasure is going store to store!

darkwaters

Friend of Leo's
I decided to go on the prowl for some LPs this weekend and managed to come home over $200 poorer! But richer it tunes. Abbey Lincoln's 91' release with Stan Getz "you gotta pay the band", has finally been re-issued on vinyl, with a full analogue remastering. Two LPs of blissful music. The recording quality is truly something else. A cheap score was Joe Williams 1963 "Jump for Joy" LP, as was Dinah Washington's 1956 "in the land of HI-Fi" LP, Sarah Vaughn's 1978 Pablo recording "How long has this been going on?", with Oscar Peterson, Joe Pass, Louie Bellson and Ray Brown. How do you say phenomenal performance?

As I was rummaging through the "just arrived" used LP's, I found a still sealed, Stax re-issue of Johnny Taylor's 1968 LP "Who's Making Love...". Man, the 60's were just dripping in fabulous soul. Rounding off the cheapies was a mint, US pressing of Bonnie Raitt's 1972 LP, "Give It Up". I already had a copy (been listening to that for 40 years), but I figured $10 for a mint copy, I'd pass my older one off on my neighbour. He was a happy camper.

I'm not sure how many of you are familiar with Tinariwen, a band who's members hail from Mali? They've been living in exile since the early 2000's because of the civil war, and man, do they create some incredible sounds. I find their music borders on hypnotic. The guitar playing is what they also get noted for, that classic Mali blues sound. They have two new double LPs out. Both were previously issued only as CD. One was their first release, and the other was recorded at a radio station in Mali. The remastering is fantastic, recording quality is top shelf, and really nicely packaged in gate fold jackets with great inserts, liner notes and free download codes.

I almost caved in and bought Verve's new, four LP box set of Charlie Parker doing some gigs in California in the late 40's and early 50's ("Bird in LA"). It sounds like an interesting collection of previous unreleased material, but I decided to take a pass - for now. Any Parker fans amongst you?

Cooking dinner (BBQ'd duck stuffed with wild rice and oysters, listening to tunes and sipping on some really nice rum). Life's good. Weather, not so much.
That’s one sweet collection! Back when travelling was possible, Ms. d and I would pop over to Europe at least once a year. Found some fabulous record stores and I’d always make it a point to bring some vinyl back. Miss those days.

Jared Purdy

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
That’s one sweet collection! Back when travelling was possible, Ms. d and I would pop over to Europe at least once a year. Found some fabulous record stores and I’d always make it a point to bring some vinyl back. Miss those days.
We're lucky here in Toronto. There is no shortage of fabulous record stores. Some specialize in just used, a few offer new and used. Check out sonicboom.com The best TO has to offer.

Spox

Tele-Meister
Took a random dip from the bag of music purchased last week and listening to it now, Djelika by Toumani Diabate. I saw him live about twelve years ago.

Jazzcaster21

Tele-Holic
I keep waiting for a re-issue of the "Benedetti Recordings". I doubt it will happen and I occasionally look on Ebay for a used copy but they are way too much for me. I currently have a burned copy of it but I want all the liner notes.

I have not heard of that box set but I will check it out. Bird is the word and without him there would be no modern jazz as we know it today.

Jared Purdy

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
Took a random dip from the bag of music purchased last week and listening to it now, Djelika by Toumani Diabate. I saw him live about twelve years ago.
I have a couple of his LPs (both with Ali Farka Toure), but not that one. Fabulous stuff.

Jared Purdy

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
I keep waiting for a re-issue of the "Benedetti Recordings". I doubt it will happen and I occasionally look on Ebay for a used copy but they are way too much for me. I currently have a burned copy of it but I want all the liner notes.

I have not heard of that box set but I will check it out. Bird is the word and without him there would be no modern jazz as we know it today.
I may instead opt for the Mercury 10" disc box set. It's a good collection of five of his most popular albums, shortly before the demise of the 10" record. I have the Savoy collection (4, 10" records), and it's fantastic stuff. That "Bird In LA" is for die hards. I've bought records like that in the past, and they end up getting played once, usually. Still, it's tempting.

Spox

Tele-Meister
Did two blind hand dips into the bag from last week earlier today and came out with R.L Burnside-Mississippi Hill Country Blues, which was excellent, then Ralph Steadman-I Like It, a compilation of stuff Steadman likes, this was also really good.

I'd been listening to nothing but blind grabs of the cds so decided to take one of the bags of unplayed vinyl from the racks, turntable had been running slow, seems floorboards dipping because of weight of racks of vinyl and books, so I stuck a folded up Kodak box under one of the hifi rack feet to try to even it out. The random vinyl taken out of the bag I picked was Augustus Pablo-In Fine Style, Original Rockers 7' and 12' selection 1973-1979 and this is what's currently on.