Some cool shots from Austin's past: Johnny Cash content, 1958.

E5RSY

Doctor of Teleocity
From the Austin History Center:

"The notes on the negatives from the Austin American-Statesman photo morgue say, "City Coliseum -- Johnny Cash Show." According to a day-of-show article in the Austin American, the show on May 18, 1958 featured Johnny Cash and the Tennessee Two, Danny and the Juniors, Don Gibson, Sonny Burgess and the Pacers, Roy Orbison, and Don Helms."

upload_2021-12-3_9-26-57.png

upload_2021-12-3_9-27-15.png

upload_2021-12-3_9-27-40.png

brookdalebill

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
I saw so many great shows at City Coliseum in my youth.
I saw :
Bread
Nitty Gritty Dirt Band
BW Stevenson
England Dan (Dan Seals) & John Ford Coley
Johnny Winter
The Police
The Eagles
Joe Walsh & Barnstorm
Lynnyrd Skynyrd
Great memories!

billy logan

Tele-Holic
Super-cool photos! How many time-machine trips am I allowed?

Idk 100% who the fellows even are in pic #2 and pic #3 - Categorize me as you will!

Is white shirt guitar tuning man in pic #2 Luther Perkins? I kinda don't think it's Johnny Cash tuning the Johnny Cash guitar. Were West Point cadet pants a fashion trend in 1958?

Did Don Helms lead a group under his own name? - as opposed to being a super-sideman?

E5RSY

Doctor of Teleocity
Super-cool photos! How many time-machine trips am I allowed?

Idk 100% who the fellows even are in pic #2 and pic #3 - Categorize me as you will!

Is white shirt guitar tuning man in pic #2 Luther Perkins? I kinda don't think it's Johnny Cash tuning the Johnny Cash guitar. Were West Point cadet pants a fashion trend in 1958?

Did Don Helms lead a group under his own name? - as opposed to being a super-sideman?
Yes, that's Luther. I think that's Marshall Grant (the bass player) tuning Johnny's guitar with him.

In the third photo, that's Don Gibson with the guitar, and I'm thinking Carl Smith (or, maybe Sonny Burgess?) sitting in the Fender case, for some reason.

E5RSY

Doctor of Teleocity
How about that Strat with what appears to be an original anodized gold pickguard??? How could it get much cooler than that? Looks like it still has the bridge cover on it, too.

Last edited:

E5RSY

Doctor of Teleocity
I saw so many great shows at City Coliseum in my youth.
I saw :
Bread
Nitty Gritty Dirt Band
BW Stevenson
England Dan (Dan Seals) & John Ford Coley
Johnny Winter
The Police
The Eagles
Joe Walsh & Barnstorm
Lynnyrd Skynyrd
Great memories!
Yeah, I wish they had left it standing. Lots of good memories, indeed. Citywide Garage Sales. Gun shows. Concerts. Etc., etc.

brookdalebill

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
Yeah, I wish they had left it standing. Lots of good memories, indeed. Citywide Garage Sales. Gun shows. Concerts. Etc., etc.

My late wife and I were once vendors at City Wide Garage Sale.
It was just over 30 years ago.
It was always fun.
Old Austin was great.
I am very thankful I got to experience it, from 1966 to 1992.
I’ve been back since 2003.
Tempus fugit!

billy logan

Tele-Holic
I been wikipedia-ing - In 1957 Don Gibson had a 2-sided hit with "Oh, Lonesome Me" b/w "I Can't Stop Loving You"
wow. It says he wrote both songs on June 7, 1957.

A li'l ol' tune been covered by 700 artists. Seven hundred "... most notably by Ray Charles ..."

wikipedia I_Can't_Stop_Loving_You