Some Candy Talking - build thread

Discussion in 'Other T-Types and Partscasters' started by Alfajock, May 16, 2021.

1. Alfajock

Alfajock TDPRI Member

You wait for ages to find a decent Candy Apple Red body for a build then two come along at once! Should keep me busy for a while, watch this space

F3A9AAB4-94C7-4B28-B14A-E7935699942C.jpeg

2. El Tele Lobo

El Tele Lobo Poster Extraordinaire

Nice! Subbed.

3. Alfajock

Alfajock TDPRI Member

So, first up the solid body. MIM Nashville off eBay with a massive swimming pool rout. The top is perfect, the back has some chips and repairs but nothing too unsightly.

The original plan was to simply swap this body onto a Player series I have with black body and maple neck. However, the Thinline body came up so that’s being used for that project.

The solid body is being built up with the rosewood MIM neck in the picture, tuners and six saddle bridge from another Player (I usually replace them with ClassicGears and vintage bridge).

Pickups will be IronGear - Steel Foundry overwound in the bridge and Alchemist 90 (humbucker sized p90) in the neck, on a high spec 4 way harness.

45E86AA0-8DA1-40A3-AF09-9CD2BBC7F605.jpeg

Test assembled

483DF3EA-52C1-4BCE-AE34-5CCB3AA6AD66.jpeg

Last edited: May 17, 2021
    brookdalebill, KelvinS1965 and Oxidao like this.
  4. Oxidao

Oxidao Tele-Meister

Alfajock likes this.
  5. Alfajock

Alfajock TDPRI Member

That’s the one! Showing my age!

6. Alfajock

Alfajock TDPRI Member

Update:

Meet the Candy Twins. No, not an adult entertainment act but the finished articles from the pile of parts I posted about a few weeks back.

The Thinline is basically a rebody of a 2018 Player Tele which had already been lightly modded with a Fender vintage bridge, Fender ClassicGear tuners and upgraded electrics with series switch. The body is an aftermarket (I assume Chinese) one from eBay and is alder, dimensionally perfect and beautifully finished. Yes I have safely stored the Fender body, before anyone has heart palpitations about resale value! If you don’t fancy dropping a grand on a new Thinline Deluxe and then still chucking out the anaemic Noiseless pickups, this is a good way to go.

The solid body is an all-MIM partscaster with a Nashville body and and rosewood neck and hardware from the Player. I’ve been looking for a decent Candy Apple Red body for a while and this one was intended for the Player but then the Thinline one came up too. As I was only a neck and pickups short, it became a double build project. Usual upgraded electrics and 4 way switch and Irongear pickups - overwound Steel Foundry in the bridge and Alchemist humbucker sized P90 in the neck.

Pleased with both - the Thinline is light as a feather and sounds good - as Player Series do. The solid body is a chunky beast and that p90 growls nicely - fat but articulate. As I have used a six saddle bridge it’ll probably become my 5 string open G “Micawblers”

0C4D0705-7B66-429E-81B3-279F24D9CBBA.jpeg B41E7FE4-D64F-4DAA-BB1F-6A84739C337B.jpeg 1376B215-061C-4291-8BF4-E42DFB5AADFB.jpeg EF7EC230-7D70-4AE0-9469-614D30DD38CC.jpeg

brookdalebill, Oxidao and KelvinS1965 like this.
  7. KelvinS1965

KelvinS1965 Tele-Afflicted

I couldn't help looking in on this thread as I guess it might be about CAR and didn't disappoint. I spent this afternoon stripping the paint off my MIM Jaguar player so I can respray it CAR. Both yours turned out great, hope you can enjoy playing them this bank holiday weekend. :)

Out of interest, where the paint was chipped, is it silver or gold under the red 'clear' coat? I'm using gold, but I gather that they can use silver or gold as the base.

8. Alfajock

Alfajock TDPRI Member

Hi, i think it’s gold under there, but all chips had been touched in and the cavities shielded so I didn’t get a close look. Much respect for taking on a CAR painting project, I took the easy way and bought a finished one but not an option on a Jag! Should be a fabulous looking guitar

KelvinS1965 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.