1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

some advice from the synth crowd

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by 24 track, Oct 28, 2020.

1. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I have a particular 1 world descision to make

do I get a Behringer Arp 2600 clone , $599.00 us just released

a Behringer Deep Mind 12, $760.00 can 12 voice polifany

Behringer Poly D $975.00 can

'm leaning towards the 2600 , what woulf you do? all input welcome

2. Paulie_Boy

Paulie_Boy Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

What would Chick Corea do?

24 track likes this.
  3. Nahtabot

Nahtabot Tele-Meister

I've always liked the Deepmind 12. It may not be the latest and greatest but it's still a powerful synth.

24 track likes this.
  4. Matthias

Matthias Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

The Poly D looks the easiest to use and jam with. Sounds good too and decent spec. The Deepmind looks fun though... I could see that in my studio

24 track likes this.
  5. ping-ping-clicka

ping-ping-clicka Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

I'd go for the moog D the one with out the key board,
    Having ply an old model d and a 2600, I prefered the moog to the very powerful 2600.
    I Stopped using hardware when my Kurzweil which I dearly loved,
    blew up/ death-dead-dead and I figured out it's cheaper to reboot the software than to ship both ways and pay for the repairs. If you have a computer that's got the power, try Arturia's synth plugins the are hailed by many pros as great.
    https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/BehringerD--behringer-model-d-analog-synthesizer

24 track likes this.
  6. 24 track

what happend to your Kurzweil? my K2000 has been going strong for ever.I have a ton of virtual synths that i plan to use with this system all of the arturia moogs ,2600, cs80, VCS3
    PPG wave term, korg virtual , and many more

I have 2 Model Ds , plus the nuetron , the pro 1 and the crave < just ordered the 960 Sequencer , the conroler and 2 gate mults for the eurorack and will getting the Polyend poly Midi to CV coverter so I can tie all of this into my virtual gear .BTW all the units sound outstanding

P1012436.JPG

61jfzkZrffL._AC_SX679_.jpg 962-SEQUENTIAL-SWITCH_P0E2A_Right_XL.png 10435.f.jpg images.jpg

Last edited: Oct 28, 2020
    Jim_in_PA, junior1995 and Nahtabot like this.
  7. Mike_LA

Mike_LA Tele-Afflicted

Since I have recently acquired a MOOG Sub 37
    Just curious, how does it stack up to your other choices?

24 track likes this.
  8. raito

raito Poster Extraordinaire

Given how you seem to run things, the DM12. I won't get any of them.

24 track likes this.
  9. 24 track

I dont follow what you are saying

10. Ron R

Ron R Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Depends on your ears and what you want to do. On immediate reaction, the 2600 makes me think Tangerine Dream, the Deepmind makes me think Krautrock, and the PolyD makes me thinks 80s-90s Rush.

smartsoul72 and 24 track like this.
  11. 24 track

the model D's are very close to my Moog model D and responds quite well , the crave is very close to the moog mother 32 almost identicle except the moog uses ladder filters and moog oscillators and the crave used the oscillator and filters from the profit 5, the layouts were identicle as well as the functioning

12. Phrygian77

Phrygian77 Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

I guess I didn't pay much attention that there might be a few synth guys here. I hadn't had any keyboard gear in almost ten years. The analog stuff that's been coming out in just the last few years is unreal. I got a MicroBrute last year for Christmas, and now of course, I just want more stuff.

smartsoul72 and 24 track like this.
  13. ping-ping-clicka

I was using the Kursweil went to pee, came back and all it would do was make a soft zzzzzzzzzzz sound. I called Kurzweil and they knew exactly what it was, and the cost of a case, shipping to them and back, plus the repairs was not worth the cost for me. no more buying anymore hardware. I purchased Reason 1.0 and went from there. I now use Reason 11.

mindlobster and 24 track like this.
  14. Phrygian77

Phrygian77 Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Back when I was doing computer based stuff years ago, I realized you really need a dedicated computer for it. Even, OS updates, drivers, softwares updates, etc can break things. Then, the computer itself takes a dump.

ping-ping-clicka and 24 track like this.
  15. raito

raito Poster Extraordinaire

You have a couple Model Ds, so you won't get anything you don't have from the Poly D. And from what I read, no patch memory anyway. If you already have a bunch of Eurorack, you should be able to get 2600 sounds already.

Given how much MIDI'ing you do, I think the DM12 would be better for your setup.

24 track likes this.
  16. ping-ping-clicka

You are so right, life is a valley of hardship and sorrow, watered by a river of tears.

thorn-in-my-side_lifestyle_1_20200904121043_original.jpg

24 track and Phrygian77 like this.
  17. Bob Womack

Bob Womack Tele-Afflicted

Back in the late '70s early '80s I was working with the Arp 2600, an EML 101, an EML sequencer, Moog Sonic Six, and a Synthi-AKS. When this round of inexpensive clones came through I did a lot of thinking about which to go with for studio use. I loved that the Odyssey had built-in effects but wasn't as thrilled with the modulation section. I settled on the Poly D. I'm pretty impressed with what it offers at the price. The classic Moog 24db/octave filter and ability to stack four VCOs make for a pretty fat sound and the paraphonic mode really expands the utility of the unit. My thought was that I could add the 2600 to get access to sample/hold and ring mod and use the Poly D's MIDI keyboard to drive it.

Bob

24 track likes this.
  18. 24 track

I'm leaning towards the 2600 , 19 inch rack mountable, totally patchable to the rest of the system I have and midi control, that is huge , and using the Motu midi timepiece USB to connect the whole analog system to my computers and logic , I did not go for eurorack oscillators , filters etc becuase the synths have all of that and I will have 7 sequencers that i can patch in any configuration and link them for poly rhythms , I dont like drum machines or 4 beat kick thumps ( boring), I have a ton of virtual drums from cake walk , spectrasonics and about 5 other companies ,plus an alesis DM 24 electronic kit.and the korg Kaos pro and Kaos pads have tons of rhythms . I really stoked here cant wait to fly this puppy .

19. mindlobster

mindlobster Tele-Afflicted

I love that Reason 11 can run as a plug-in inside Live or Logic.

ping-ping-clicka and 24 track like this.
  20. 24 track

actually Reason uses an app to run inside of logic , most 32 bit daws use a maximum of 4 gigs of ram even if you have 8 gigs or more in you computer , so by using its app reason runs out side the 4 gig ram limit , really smart if you ask me , I love reason great program

Last edited: Oct 29, 2020
    mindlobster and ping-ping-clicka like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.