1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Solo boost!!!!

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by Aden, Oct 10, 2005.

1. Aden

Aden Tele-Meister

Hi guys, just curious as to what you use for a solo boost when playing live. Im looking for new alternatives and would like some ideas..

Aden

2. cvansickle

cvansickle Tele-Holic

I mostly rely on a treble booster for this purpose. Right now I'm using the Plosive Dual, and the May side is ideal (for my purposes anyway) for solo boosting.

Plosive

3. Aden

Aden Tele-Meister

thanks

That looks pretty neat... cheers

4. cacibi

cacibi Friend of Leo's

A few places to start:

I'm currently using the Durham Sex Drive, which also gives you the options of gain and compression. On the cheaper side, I have used the MXR Micro Amp and found it to be a great, cheap clean boost. Many people rave about the Xotic RC Booster around here, but if you're looking for a cheap, versatile option - BYOC (Build Your Own Clone) has something called the Tribooster which is a germanium (treble/Rangemaster) boost, Linear Power Boost and a clean boost all in one - with a rotary switch to select between them:

http://www.buildyourownclone.com/tri.html

5. tweedtone

tweedtone Tele-Afflicted

6. maestrovert

maestrovert Poster Extraordinaire

the Tele's vol pot.....

7. cacibi

cacibi Friend of Leo's

uhhh....but then you wouldn't have a great excuse to buy another pedal :rolleyes: Dang!

8. BB

BB Poster Extraordinaire

The Zoom PD-01 Power Driver is a great sounding, low cost clean boost. Treble and bass controls allow for added sparkel or whump. It's overdrive capabilities are a bit on the fizz side, but for a clean boost...it rocks!

9. tlpruitt

tlpruitt Tele-Meister

Currently I use an RC Booster

I am a pedal junky and I have lots of "boost" type pedals and ODs that can goose things up for solos but I am really digging the flexibility and transparency of the RC Booster.

I place it before the ODs in the signal chain and it works perfectly at boosting things for solos with or without the OD engaged after it. I run Bass and Treble both at 11:00 and Gain and Volume both around 10:30-11:00 depending on the axe/pickups.

-Tim

10. telel6s

telel6s Tele-Afflicted

On the cheaper side...Austin Gold

I've got a Rocktron Austin Gold (actually two, as I just picked up a second one used for $35).

More dB boost than I would ever use. There's a gain knob, but adds less than even an LTD. Instead of a tone control, it has a pre-Bass control that determines how much of the bass frequencies go through the gain circuit.....does a nice job of adding some fat to single coils.

I like it better with BF/SF Fender amps more than my 5E3 clone. It also does well with an old EL84 Epiphone I have. A friend borrowed it to use with his Dr. Z Maz and liked enough to offer a RC Boost in trade. But since I play with him several times a month I thought it better to turn down that trade.

I've played both the RC and AC Boosts and they are great pedals and sound better than the Austin Gold....but they also cost three (new) to four (used) times as much.

11. Aden

Aden Tele-Meister

good work fellas

keep em coming its all good stuff man...

12. Mike D.

Mike D. Tele-Holic

Bad Bob for me.

13. Nub

Nub Friend of Leo's

+1 for the Bad Bob!

14. JohnnyCrash

JohnnyCrash Doctor of Teleocity

I used to use a Boss GE7 EQ pedal in the Series Effects Loops of my Peavey Classics... now I got different amps, so I'm killing any second guitarists in the band! HAHA

I like my Marshall TSL60... I just kick on the Lead channel with a dab more Volume than the Crunch channel has.

Everything else gets the "subtle touch" until I need to dig in.

15. Tim Swartz

Tim Swartz Friend of Leo's

I use a Black Box Cobalt, it just takes what I have and makes it louder. It does not add girth (I have other pedals for that), very transparent. The RC Boost is also very nice for this sort of arrangement.

16. tellypicker

tellypicker Tele-Meister

Keeley Katana. Absolutely the best clean boost I've tried.

17. Mr. Sparkle

Mr. Sparkle Tele-Afflicted

we don' need no stinkin' pedals

I'm with maestrovert. Turn that knob...UP!

18. Mike Fleming

Mike Fleming Tele-Meister

I have an old DOD preamp pedal, FX10, that's completely transparent, a great clean booster. They're all over ebay for cheap.

Mike

19. Kingtone

Kingtone Tele-Holic

+1

Another nod to the Bad Bob. In fact I have 2 , one silver and one gold. Great boost and very transparent.
    Bad Bob

20. Ringo

Ringo Poster Extraordinaire

my amp ...

The Koch Twintone amp that I recently won has a built in footswitchable boost feature that you can use for the clean and or OD channels, also it is adjustable, so it really is just "more" of my amp, I don't need any pedals for boost anymore!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.