Solo acoustic amplification

Jakedog

Telefied
Ad Free Member
I have a modular/flexible setup.

For really small stuff I have a Blackstar Sonnet 60 acoustic amp. To my ears it’s the best one out there in its class. It’s got a ported and tuned cab so it’s got a much better low end response than anything else in the 60 watt range. The distinct lack of low end and full spectrum sound is what I’ve never been able to stand about the Loudbox. They’re just bright and brash, and I always had feedback problems when they were provided for backline. I do not get along with those amps at all. The Sonnet makes me really happy. It also makes a dandy Bluetooth speaker.

I use this for private house living room/patio parties, and very small pub shows. I think it would handle most coffee house type situations fine. If I need a little more I use the XLR out to run to one of my EON610 speakers on a stand, and use the Sonnet as my monitor. If I need more still I can use two eons. If I need more than two channels I skip the acoustic amp and just use the eons with my Yamaha board.

Beachbum

Poster Extraordinaire
I've got both a full size and mini PA and a decent DI but since I got this Marshall AS50D I no longer use them for guitar. With 2X8 inch speakers it's got plenty of low end, the reverb and chorus are outstanding and it's got all the usual bells and whistles. Up until I got the Marshall I was using my Boss Katana head on the acoustic setting which was pretty decent but unfortunately the electric guitar speaker just doesn't to the acoustic side of the amp justice.

KtYjRsriynd6CRSEH-KMkk8ZPPJ5TK9B_zoLE_FVZU1jGlHjgmlXctFLmkLdl9-wxfQ2xytdv6A98rbR7WVi9yBnkyr89VcBu2y6X8K-Ay_h_Y6FAhlp7lL2geN90AGpnhvhl-M-Ib7nXUXpu-rfFE6Ep_q5c6aZMi_DlFjPIXTOIBBupQc5iM29As7302oPEmU5_RI0cSN8lCyN7MOGTo5G5JY6nKjbODqH-x-YCYhHX79xNefFwa5SLmu-mM7kWAYTU5ZPPm1szKGfgqrWxuXfly6lrx38lh5_251ZzkcuO1acxtH9mvF6lobz7cqcL-uYpXtgADAbFS_AgWaOy2XE7cNPx7S2MqZBLFzpb10M1ZJT4KkvoIuiy6H2ncjTqRuePrxfTucvDOJfQwj2bvEmaDNlGzv6SazEylkgxwBBVpUzWGoovvC26TmmC-mq4btAgwQsjV3L2Yg2h0dxBViYWuTNdURS0pNE1Rss_dO9qWBbyBqjNDd78VA7YwLKGfurNFWxpsTkeV57JoyIzwI_hEWeBV_GHf9zjnMnAIMo2aOSI37spH9xd2KEdkC5P0Z-grKZaq2Gu6dGlVwYAtDl3fP4eXScHyTVgvHfhT5ZS5NMhwhobpaDXuZomVLto4fBzOEJYpkClg8n5ZRWHc3CiBUod30agKKbYowI6W1giPGiFnwWJkRjjAGTEvUvzRuJF3AfQxOnifIDTnLlhaEx=w1327-h978-no

vJeEBeI1Wm51-9cEYGR9g2haBh2oW2fJKaMpJ8NxBuPX0rYcJkq2_qDNUWxC14LeGpeIim86uOHaFRcGxkXGUwmvWSP-VBIv3dqKCaTUWZTBk1ka8zvoWAuu_SRU0zqWfktbWXHdyKW8NRBYaH5EMs0iLgtlGMsmLWiWrERHiD0AHqg5mLQ7CJG0MtukqKsYrjjS7jwpcHvoNQOyCeM4-lSxB1Nj3p0U1-ENpoZk4HPrrk47NxSbz81nU_NSWxw1KOmsQTyRchYrO1-ln4u0CWC-MI9fCfq_K4DJasboYqHZbvdeSPgmLCroVDLrDmcCjTEubSBxO7_1y9JwJ3OcR5fyhAyvl80bVzMxAgzcL2AlQEoOVONH6eMZgx3RRHRlhj2AeiB_M_ItHi4cLwsSIgXBI0gYrYYuhb14w93eUhqLU0QUbpMUqhAQ8ZQKVptdGWGUiaf4XlxaromNyg0qOxHAua_Tr1cMnL4_q8wmTz6AxSNUIwNe-zzyJq863hwZOWkvzO92v0ht67_rZIfLB9lxm7ZBGusBECkotIZooS3xHr5g7Cno3lDsUzASvZEm8lcR7QrQ0offqf77zOce4xxPHEt-GdtBAxHryGPldj5tNw5eIQrggJVRH_9GE0LB7WHPRI9NybntpTSbBxOQhpr-uXIwV9MvKhLBi6-O7BDTEdr9oaBTxp9dSuhlIpnYQrHa_6ypXcfERf4ph-NR30y7=w1317-h978-no

Last edited:

harpdog

Tele-Afflicted
This looks intriguing. I was not aware this thing even existed. I’d like to try one out.

Two channels that accept mic or instrument, switchable to mic or guitar or line. Independent reverb for those 2 channels. 3rd channel for MP3 or line input or bluetooth. Built in battery lasts many many hours. Lightweight, compact, stand mount built in, can position vertically or horizontally, or tilt. The sound is wonderful, as I said, to my ear, better than any acoustic amp in the price range.

39martind18

Friend of Leo's
I now own two Fishman Loudbox Artists. My lead player and I each bought one back around 2015. These were great sounding amps, but they had one major flaw: the vinyl covering was not durable at all. Within the first couple of months, the vinyl started flaking and sloughing off, until the Artists looked as bad as they sounded good. Fast forward to earlier this year. My lead player, in his late 70s, has decided he probably will not be playing out acoustically any more, and traded me his Artist. I had heard Fishman would fix the covering problem if an owner would ship their amp to them. So, I shipped the one I just obtained to Fishman, and they "fixed" it- by shipping a brand new Bluetooth equipped Artist back, free of charge! I've now shipped my original back to them. If Fishman decides to charge me a fee for fixing this one, I'm still WAY ahead. I'm amazed that a corporation would do what Fishman has done for me FIVE years after the original warranty was over- their customer support is second to none. With the sonic quality of their amps and the depth of their customer service, I'll be a Fishman user for life. YMMV!

39martind18

Friend of Leo's
I've just ordered one of these for my eldest daughter's 25th bday. She sings like a bird and plays piano. It will mainly be for home use but hoping she decides to start gigging with it. I've heard them in use at venues and they're pretty nice, there's also a bigger version that I've heard at an outdoor gig and it sounded fantastic.

Bose L1, not ridiculously expensive either. Will handle mic and up to 3 instruments.

Will see how it goes when it arrives

View attachment 838093
I've been using one or two Bose Compacts (L1s) for probably five - six years. Love 'em!

elihu

Doctor of Teleocity
I’ve got the Fender Acoustic 100...the one that looks like a piece of Danish furniture. It has two separate channels with effective simple eq controls and it’s really loud. I bought it because the lows were much better than the Fishman Mini. I think it sounds as good or better than anything I’ve heard and it’s feather-light.

stephent2

Poster Extraordinaire
If you want to go all in, Schertler. I have a Jam 400, used it five years now, just did a gig yesterday, what a fantastic sound.

LoveHz

Tele-Holic
Something like a Yamaha active PA speaker. For solo gigs you'll only need one. The 10-inch speaker + horn version can go extremely loud if you want it to, but it's the sheer clarity of the sound that impressed me. If you're part of a duo or trio it's just as good -- just run the mics and instruments through a small mixer.

Martin R

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
I've just ordered one of these for my eldest daughter's 25th bday. She sings like a bird and plays piano. It will mainly be for home use but hoping she decides to start gigging with it. I've heard them in use at venues and they're pretty nice, there's also a bigger version that I've heard at an outdoor gig and it sounded fantastic.

Bose L1, not ridiculously expensive either. Will handle mic and up to 3 instruments.

Will see how it goes when it arrives

View attachment 838093
If you need more inputs just get a small mixer. We run eight channels through our L1 Model 2.

Jakedog

Telefied
Ad Free Member
Two channels that accept mic or instrument, switchable to mic or guitar or line. Independent reverb for those 2 channels. 3rd channel for MP3 or line input or bluetooth. Built in battery lasts many many hours. Lightweight, compact, stand mount built in, can position vertically or horizontally, or tilt. The sound is wonderful, as I said, to my ear, better than any acoustic amp in the price range.
It looks good on paper, for sure. My Blackstar has most of the same features, but no battery and half the power.

RockerDuck

Friend of Leo's
Bose S-1 Pro. To my ear, it sounds better than any current comparably priced acoustic amp.
I had the Bose S1 pro for a long time and never needed the battery option. It sounds like a powered speaker and had reverb to boot. But, it needed a mixer to bring out its potential. Sold it. So instead of the mixer and S1, I use the The Fishman Artist. I have an L1 compact that suffers from a lack of mixer also. Its a great sounding unit for larger gigs with a mixer, but I use my loudbox mini or artist into the L1c when needed.

String Tree

Doctor of Teleocity
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
What would you choose?
1 small portable PA
2 one of those Acoustic amps..with mic and guitar input.

for small coffee house, bar solo gig.

I have a pair of 50 Watt self powered Speakers on sticks.
I can use one or, both.
I park them up high behind me so the sound can saturate the room evenly.

IMHO, simple = better.

Fx from Bag of Tricks for my Guitar, straight and clean for my vocal.
Those rooms usually have their own ambience so I keep the Vocals Dry.

Last edited:

harpdog

Tele-Afflicted
Those Powerwerks 50 watt powered speakers are excellent. Plenty of power and 2 inst/mic channels, an mp3 input channel, and they can be linked so that the whole mix of inputs from multiple units are mixed together. There is a sub out also. I have them also, but mine are badged Kustom, but the same unit. Easy price also