1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Solid State Pedal Platforms

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by RetroTeleRod, Aug 31, 2016.

1. artdecade

artdecade Poster Extraordinaire

I still have the Bassman in the studio, but I don't have the back for it anymore. Been having loads of problems with it for a couple years. So, yup. When I play out, I play easy! Ha. That said, most of the gigs and sessions are heavier nowadays. So, I don't need edge of breakup tones - just gain and clean.

RetroTeleRod likes this.
  2. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Funny how things evolve, isn't it? 5 years ago I never would have considered head and cab configurations let alone an ORANGE. Now that's all I play.

artdecade and RetroTeleRod like this.
  3. RyCo1983

RyCo1983 Tele-Afflicted

Yeah, the clean channel is where it's at. It takes some tweaking to get the dirt right...but I have OD pedals for that!
    The price was absolutely right for it. Mint...225.

Grab and go rig!

RetroTeleRod likes this.
  4. fretwhizzy

fretwhizzy TDPRI Member

Yep, I've been thinking I need a far more portable rig that will cover going direct and/or feed an onstage amp. Given I have several valve preamps I like and Two Notes Torpedo Cab to cover the "valve Poweramp, speaker and mic" part of the chain I'm hoping to get the whole rig (including some kind of midi board) into one lightweight 4u rack case. I should probably have just bitten the bullet and bought a Kemper....

RetroTeleRod likes this.
  5. Sleepyscholar

Sleepyscholar Tele-Meister

I had a Pathfinder which I loved (and even my wife admired its tone). But to be honest I found it didn't play so well with the pedals I was putting through it. I let a friend have it, and replaced it with an H&K Edition Blue 30 (basically the same as the one in the article, minus 30 watts) which, despite not having quite such a good base tone, really does magical things with the pedals I'm putting through it.

RetroTeleRod likes this.
  6. wildschwein

wildschwein Tele-Afflicted

Epiphone Triggerman 60 is the best I have found thus far:
    [​IMG]

RetroTeleRod likes this.
  7. Pcaluaru

Pcaluaru Tele-Meister

Roland JC series is a staple as far as SS pedal platforms...

Many many moons ago I used to run a Roland JC120 with a Tom Scholz Rockman rack... I had mixed feelings about the set up. In the end it didn't have that tube warmth and feel that I was antiquated with so I moved on from it.

But... As far as sound.. I remember it being fantastic... At that time I mostly played/gigged jazz with the Roland though..

With SS one doesn't have to be bothered with tubes or power fluctuation/bad current etc etc that so many venues are plagued with!

RetroTeleRod likes this.
  8. Lies&Distortion

Lies&Distortion Tele-Afflicted

Come to think of it, when I run pedals into mine, it's usually as a second amp fed from stereo delay & reverb, and into a random cabinet with a 15" JBL speaker.

I was curious, since it is a popular cheap amp here.

Sleepyscholar likes this.
  9. ChipOnly

ChipOnly Tele-Holic

Lab Series L5! Peavey Bandit (mine is a teal stripe)

jefcon1 and RetroTeleRod like this.
  10. RetroTeleRod

RetroTeleRod Poster Extraordinaire

Mmmm, teal!
    :cool:

11. Phelonious Ponk

Phelonious Ponk Tele-Afflicted

The low-gain models in a Mustang III take pedals very well.

P

RetroTeleRod likes this.
  12. cousinpaul

cousinpaul Friend of Leo's

I think a lot of drives and distortions sound better into a slightly pushed amp than a squeaky clean one. With the Tone Block, I can hit similar volume levels at around 15 watts with the gain opened up a bit vs around 40 watts crystal clean but there's a big difference in tone and feel. For what it's worth, I started getting better sounds from the TB once I threw out the idea of a pedal-platform and began using it the way I would any other amp. The big advantage, for me, is being able to get consistent sound at any volume rather than constantly struggling to play a tube amp in it's sweet spot. My other amp is a 5E3 Proluxe which I still use when I think it will fit in.

RetroTeleRod likes this.
  13. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Very cool!

14. jefcon1

jefcon1 Tele-Meister

I have also found that to be true with a few drives as well. Also, speakers, to my ear, make as much of a difference, sometimes more, as pushed tubes vs clean SS for dirt pedals. In my case if I run an OCD, by itself, straight into my Twin I can't stand the sound. It's gritty and unpleasant, like harsh clipping. Even on very low gain settings on the OCD. I account this to my Twin having JBL speakers in it.. because if I run the OCD straight into the clean channel of my Peavey 130 it sounds great. But my Peavey has a G12-75 that tends to smooth out any unpleasant clipping. In either case if I run the OCD into a RAT set to low gain it sounds great.

RetroTeleRod likes this.
  15. bluescaster72

bluescaster72 Tele-Holic

No one mentioned the Peavey Bandit transtube Redstripe series I saw a pro Nashville guitar player using one and was quite impressed that a pro would use one . Not surprising as I heard another one and couldn't believe how nice it sounded. He had his pedal board and played some country hits from the late 80's and it his tone was very smooth.

richey88 and RetroTeleRod like this.
  16. richey88

richey88 Friend of Leo's

My pathfinder does well w/ my board at rehearsals, even gigged with it (w/pedals). I like it as #2 in a stereo setup, and by itself...

Sleepyscholar likes this.
  17. richey88

richey88 Friend of Leo's

I almost bought this amp several times. The mom n pop that had one I played through several times and thought this and some choice pedals would be all I need....

18. bluescaster72

bluescaster72 Tele-Holic

Solid states seem to have a lot of advantages especially consistency in tone.. now the question I have is the about using overdrive, I've noticed that you can't really use a lot of overdrive or distortion on these seems like a light bit of grit dialed in is best . Anyone care to chime in ?

19. wildschwein

wildschwein Tele-Afflicted

If you get the chance pick one up. The clean channel is really damn nice and these things are loud -- I have no problem keeping up with even the loudest drummers. The oversized cab lends a lot of warmth and low end to the sound. I have also been running multi effects units into the power amp in with good results.

The onboard delay and reverb in the amp is great is a space saver too.

20. Pajama

Pajama Tele-Meister

I had a Trademark 60 for a number of years. Loved the clean channel with pedals. Was not crazy about about the dirty channel.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.