1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Solid State amp you've known and loved,,, or hated,

Discussion in 'Modeling Amps, Plugins and Apps' started by ASATKat, Oct 17, 2020.

1. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

@brookdalebill -

@Chiogtr4x got me thinking. You’re a big fan of those Cube 80s. Have you compared the X and the XL? Same sound but more FX on the XL or other differences.

I’m a huge fan of the MicroCube line but for some reason didn’t love the 80GX as much. But I dimly recall liking the XL a lot.

Thanks

Chiogtr4x likes this.
  2. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Poster Extraordinaire

Well as I mentioned before I really just like that old school layout of the Roland cubes and honestly all I'm looking for is the blackface sound and a slightly distorted maybe that British combo tone plus delay Reverb and maybe a little chorus/ Leslie since this is the stuff that I use on gigs nothing more is really needed sorry for the voice activation

Just trying to replicate what I do in gigs back at home without any pedals and quietly

brookdalebill and MilwMark like this.
  3. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Ha. I appreciate the thoughts. Totally my fault but I was asking @brookdalebill the question about the Cube 80x vs 80xl because I know he uses the 80s. Whoops.

Chiogtr4x likes this.
  4. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

The X just has a shorter looper time, about 20 seconds, if I recall.
    I don’t use it in performance at gigs, I just like it for working solos and arrangements out.
    They all sound great, to me.
    Like I mentioned earlier, I wish Roland would re-introduce the line, with a few more features and upgrades.
    Roland is an extremely forward thinking company.

MilwMark likes this.
  5. Jim622

Jim622 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Tech 21 Trademark 60

Fender Vibro Champ XD

Both thumbs up

ale.istotle and brookdalebill like this.
  6. Preacher

Preacher Friend of Leo's

Bad ones and I have had a few.

Crate GFX 30 - the only thing going for it was it was loud.
    Kona 10 watt practice amp - it probably worked for practice throwing a shot put.
    Spider III Line 6 15 Watter - loved all the amp simulations that it had, too bad none sounded good.
    Fender Frontman 15G - Was pretty underwhelmed by this since it was a Fender. Of course I had been playing through a 5E3 when I bought this to replace it.
    Crate MX10 - see above the Crate GFX-30 except it wasn't loud.

Good Ones:

Fender Bronco - with an open back it comes alive as a little tweed unit, and into a 4x10 cabinet WOW!
    Vox AD15 - none of the amp models really are good but the two Vox options, again with an open back it really opens up.
    Peavey Decade - nice little practice amp, kind of sad I sold it now.

7. Tornado

Tornado Tele-Meister

Ibanez GX100 from the eighties. Very good amp with a mild character. But as you know as a guitarplayer you are always searching for something even better. So I bought a more expensive tube apmlifier. Looking back I must say that is was a waste of money.

eric_telemaque likes this.
  8. SRHmusic

SRHmusic Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Cool discussion. I've mainly used solid state amps, as I find the lower weight and maintenance are worth it (to me). Also they tend to remain more constant in tone vs. volume and are 'good enough' for the music I play. (However, I bet for a guitar in a trio it is probably worth the effort for a great tube amp, but it's harder to tell with four or five instruments.)

GK 250ML - Purchased in 1985 with graduation money(!) - turned out to be a great purchase. Good for 80's rock and a bit more, and awesomely portable. I played it through a 2 x 15 cab (50W stereo) Had to have the power transistors replaced once, I and I put in new Pyle car audio speakers (2 x 6" or 6.5") after the surrounds degraded. but it's still going strong. It's a bit noisy now, maybe the caps are wearing out finally.

Roland Blues Cube Artist- I've been using this on many gigs (>50 now). Mainly using amp built in reverb and gain (four levels of clean channel, clean+boost, crunch channel, crunch + boost). Great amp for 60's - 70's rock and blues tones. People often remark on it, and wonder that it's not a tube amp. (Dimarzio Area pickups help, too, I think) I have a Blues Cube Stage for practice and backup, and it's definitely a smaller, tighter sound. Not bad, but different, and not as dynamic. The flexibility of the Artist for the foot switch (channel and boost selects) and the effects loop is hard to beat. Oh, and these have selectable power levels (5W - 15W - 45W (or 30) and 80W (or 60) on the BCA (BCS)).

ruger9 likes this.
  9. bcorig

bcorig Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

When I started up again in ‘95 I went to GC with a friend who advised me to get an American Standard Strat and a 25W Champion 110.
    Then for some odd reason (probably reading Guitar magazines) I decided I needed a bigger Amp to get over the drums and ended up with a 60W ProSonic.
    Problem was I always preferred the sound of the Champ.
    Now my go to are a Tele Elite through a Blues Jr. and some basic pedals which is definitely a better sound. But that dang Champ still has a neat Drive channel that’s crisp and snappy and I go to it sometimes in th middle position, no pedals.
    Crazy.
    Oh, I had a Carvin too, but this is a civilized forum and i don’t wish to be cancelled by saying much more than it was noisier than a SWIFT refrigeration unit.

10. ASATKat

ASATKat Friend of Leo's

Boss makes Katana and Nextone. Roland makes your Cube 80xl.

Katana and Cube are kissing cousin amps, they share the same WAZA tech, that is the tonal heart of these amps. But they are totally "tuned" differently. I prefer the Katana, it is a tonal guitar wonderland, for me that is. I'm very happy.

Thanks to the Backing Track challenges here at tdpri I have well over 100 audio recordings of the amp's tone.

It's easy to dial in SRV blues tones, a variety of tones from Lenny to Texas Flood, I think Boss made these tones a priority to put in the Katana amp.

And the amp can get a great Gary Moore "Still Got The Blues" solo tone. Listen to Gary playing it. You need a humbucker guitar.

It goes on, great jazz, great BB, great country, Great Scott,,,

Last edited: Oct 19, 2020
    brookdalebill likes this.
  11. BerkshireDuncan

BerkshireDuncan TDPRI Member

Roland Blues Cube Hot.. 30w of awesomeness. So good I bought two.

ruger9 and ASATKat like this.
  12. ASATKat

ASATKat Friend of Leo's

Do you have a "tonefest" audio clip of it? I'd love to hear it.

Digging Roland/Boss WAZA

13. ale.istotle

ale.istotle Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Love Tech 21 Trademark 60 and Fender Rumble 40

lupowitz likes this.
  14. jamesronguitar

jamesronguitar TDPRI Member

I loved the old Peavey Bandits from the 80s that were built like tanks and very loud. Now I just bought a Tech 21 Trademark 60 thats pretty awesome so far!

lupowitz likes this.
  15. lupowitz

lupowitz Tele-Afflicted

I only have ss these days.

Tech 21 Trademark 10
    Tech 21 Trademark 60

They are quite different despite being from the same company, sharing the same core technology.
    But as far as I can tell, or read somewhere, the 60 is based on the Sansamp Classic pedal, the 10 is practically a slightly modified GT2 pedal in a cabinet with a power amp.
    There are weeks, when I swear by one, and don't touch the other, and vice versa.

On the long run I guess I prefer the 60. I just love the less finicky control panel, the 1x12 cabinet, and the general layout. It is so versatile, with its footswitch operable boost and spring reverb. I never was too big on effect pedals, and I don't need own one since I have this amp.

The 10, on the other hand, is just a marvel. I am always amazed, how could they put so many classic sounds into a 1x8 speakered cabinet. You can't go from clean to dirty as easily as with the 60, but the weight -or lack of the thing - makes me smile everytime I play through it and sound like a wall of marshalls at whispering quiet volume.

I had a Micro Cube, the original first version since it came out. I only sold it to replace it with a Micro Cube Bass Rx, what I'm hunting for at the moment, but they don't come up to often around here. I always had some sort of Roland Cube since the late '80s.

16. buster poser

buster poser Tele-Afflicted Platinum Supporter

Sunn Beta Lead was pretty great. JC-120, duh.

17. Ronzo

Ronzo Tele-Holic

As I understand it, Roland Corp. is the umbrella corporation for both the Boss and Roland product lines.

I’ve owned and used products branded by both Roland and Boss for over 30 years. Very high quality under either brand name.

Sincerely glad you’re happy with your purchases.

18. GuitarsBuicks

GuitarsBuicks Tele-Meister

I just moved my brother's Kustom Quad DFX100 today. That sucker weighs more than my Super Reverb. Those 2 Celestians must weigh a ton and a half.

19. soundcloset

soundcloset TDPRI Member

Jut got a Line6 Spider IV 30. I can get a million sounds playing into my computer if I want that, but I can't find the basic voice of this thing, plus up close (packed in with all my other junk on the third floor spare room) it's like, loud and trying to show off. I twiddle, and it wavers and drones and bounces and flanges and echos and the little lights go green and red and flashy and I can't seem to find a "home" voice from which to start. But my Korean Marshall and the little Acoustic 20 make basic tones I can work from.

20. bsc58

bsc58 TDPRI Member

I’ve got lots of valve amps but I do like solid state amps too.
    I’ve got a Lab Series L5 4x10,a 80’s fender Showman 1x15 and four sessions all great amps.

Attached Files:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.