1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Solid State amp you've known and loved,,, or hated,

Discussion in 'Modeling Amps, Plugins and Apps' started by ASATKat, Oct 17, 2020.

1. Telecastoff1

Telecastoff1 Tele-Afflicted

I totally agree. I own two Special 130's. One is an 83 and the other an 82. These amps get more gig time than all of other amps combined. They are totally reliable and always sound great, and a cinch to dial in.
    My other SS amps are an 83 Fender SS Showman Combo 210. Also a very nice amp.
    Peavey Bandit 65 and two First Act MA215 Bass amps. Killer guitar tone with these little First Acts.
    I still love my vintage Fender tube amps as well, but they don't get as much gig time these past few years.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2020
    codamedia likes this.
  2. bluescaster72

bluescaster72 Tele-Holic

All I own is solid state amps I have come to prefer them. The so called sweet spot to me is a joke as it is usually way too loud at that point to even be usable . I have a bit of ringing in my ears from playing with those who thought they were rock Gods so had to up the volume on mine as well to be heard in the mix I no longer enjoy the volume wars . I can get my sound at any volume with some choice pedals and my solid state amps . I have an AMPEG 70 watt solid state both the lead and clean channels are really good separate reverb controls for both with a bright switch on the clean channel and a Vox pathfinder 10 with mods done to it makes a great blues platform I love the sound of Fender tube amps but being as I play at home mostly these days they are simply impractical .

3. srblue5

srblue5 Tele-Holic

Although I do love tube amps, I've had a lot of good experiences with solid state amps and currently own two.

Years ago, I played through my high's school's Roland JC-120 in our school band. Although the distortion knob was useless, the clean tones were nice. Reminded me a lot of Andy Summers and was perfect for noodling on "Bring On The Night" while everybody else was getting ready for rehearsals.

A few years back, I was gigging a Fender Blues Jr. and bought a Peavey Bandit for $100 for use as a "beater" (such as for gigs where the sound guy plugged me in through a DI, with my amp serving as a monitor). I ended up liking the Bandit more and the other guitarist in my band agreed that it sounded fuller than the Blues Jr. The clean channel of the Bandit is pedal friendly but I can actually get the sound to cut through more by running an OD pedal through the drive channel set relatively clean. I've used it for a lot of gigs and only once or twice didn't love the sound (probably because I didn't set the EQs properly). The only thing I don't like is the weight. I'd love to find a Studio Pro of a similar vintage/style but haven't been successful yet.

I recently acquired a ZT Lunchbox that I love for rehearsing/jamming informally at home. It can sound pretty tube-ish at times.

brookdalebill likes this.
  4. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's

Wow! Posted yesterday and it's already up to 6 pages of posts.

Worst: Acoustic 150 100 Watt head on an Acoustic 6 x 10" cabinet. Nasty, brittle, early solid state tone. Its only redeeming feature was that it was louder than the Grand Opening of Hell.

Best: A Fender Mustang III combo with a single 12" in an open back cabinet. Its Fender voices were surprisingly good and, once the speaker was broken in, it had a room-filling sound.

ChickenKiller, Rocky058 and blowtorch like this.
  5. fendrguitplayr

fendrguitplayr Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I had a Sunn Stagemaster (2 x 12) that I used for many years that stayed in my trunk
    and worked up until the day I decided it was too heavy. 20# magnets on those suckers!

6. GuitarsBuicks

GuitarsBuicks Tele-Holic

I have one of the first Hybrids, a Peavey Heritage VTX. 100 Watt Solid State into 60 Watt 6L6 tubes. It is hands down the best amp I have ever played. Those original Black Widow speakers will beat any Eminence or Celestian any day of the week. The only better amp is a Fender Super Reverb.

With the Peavey you can easily get three kinds of distortion. The solid state artificial distortion, natural 6L6 distortion, and speaker distortion. If you set it right, you can even get the solid state part to act like a fuzz into a tube amp. No pedals needed. Phaser included, overdrive included, distortion included, volume included. Comes in a Peavey Slant-front Blues breaker Cabinet. Must provide own muscles or Roady and hand cart.

My brother has a pure Solid State Kustom Quad DFX 100 its a 212 100-Watt. That is a nice amp too. I would gladly play gigs with it. It's got a very nice natural compression from the Celestians.

Both of them will beat my Fender Deville 212 in a no holds barred shootout. Even the spring reverb is better. The Kustom would probably loose out to the Heritage on Creamy overdrive, but that's about it. The Peavey would loose on versatility, to the Kustom.

7. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

Love it

0.jpg

brookdalebill likes this.
  8. SomeGuyNamedRob

SomeGuyNamedRob Tele-Meister

One solid state amp that I've owned and really enjoyed was the Fender Princeton Chorus 2x10.

That amp was one of my main gigging amps for years. Took pedals well, was plenty loud, had a really good clean tone, and never broke down or failed to deliver. Having the built-in reverb and chorus was also nice.

9. beyer160

beyer160 Friend of Leo's

I tried the CR120, which from what I can tell is a 100 watt version of the CR60.

The clean channel was OK, but a little sterile like most SS amps tend to be. Once you cranked it up to get some hair, it started sounding like an AM radio farting out. The dirt channel was good, but dialing in anything less than full-on distortion was impossible, as was using the guitar volume to clean it up. It wouldn't do the classic low-gain, edge-of-breakup, Stones-y kind of tones. The tube Rockerverb excels at this. If you want clean and dirty with nothing in between, the Crush amps will probably fit the bill. For any subtlety though, you're gonna need to look elsewhere.

markal and gridlock like this.
  10. gridlock

gridlock Poster Extraordinaire

Thanks Beyer160, probably just saved me $300+ dollars.

11. beyer160

beyer160 Friend of Leo's

If you get a chance to try one out, go for it- they're not bad amps, they just didn't work for me. If my description didn't sound like something you'd be into though, I wouldn't buy sight unseen online.

gridlock likes this.
  12. Ebidis

Ebidis Tele-Afflicted

That was my first amp too. I also got mine for $75. It was not a bad little amp actually.

13. jrblue

jrblue Friend of Leo's

My first two amps were SS: a Rheem Califone (!!!) and then a Peavey Pacer. Both had a fast attack, hard edged tone, and none of a tube amp's sag or sustain. On the other hand, they never, ever failed and were consistent, reliable, and while pretty dink in size, could deliver loads of volume. Since then I've played tube amps, including many expensive and modded ones, but of course that's mostly what was available in the "good amp" category when the market rejected SS. Because I do not rely on tube distortion, sag, or sustain--many of us have used pedals for that, rather than relying on the old guitar into dimed amp approach of the past--I expect to transition to a small SS amp for the foreseeable future. I need a reliable amplifier--amplifier--not so much a tone shaper. Now that most currently built tubes are inconsistent and crappy, tube-based amplification has lost its appeal for me. I'm looking for a used Ethos Overdrive Amp or BluGuitar Amp1.

14. El Marin

El Marin Friend of Leo's

[​IMG]

Peavey Bandit... first amp I ever played... WORST AMP EVER BUILT in the world, worst sounding, worst drive ever. I Will not play that **** again ever in my life

15. darkwaters

darkwaters Friend of Leo's

Hated them all...

upload_2020-10-18_14-23-22.png

16. Robert H.

Robert H. Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Roland Blues Cube Stage. I swear by it. Great clean tones, decent reverb, and can break up like a tube amp if you push it. The only amp I take out now.

upload_2020-10-18_10-17-21.jpeg

17. Leonardocoate

Leonardocoate Tele-Meister

Roland 405 Tube Logic

18. donrichfan

donrichfan Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

Holy cow, that's it!! Fizzling & crackling tone machine.

19. Richie Cunningham

Richie Cunningham Tele-Afflicted

I own a Fender Performer 650 that’s on long-term loan to a friend. I bought it used, and it’s been a reliable, good-sounding amp.

Not my photo.
    18A47448-31F0-46D3-A727-61C36EC472A6.jpeg

20. Ronzo

Ronzo Tele-Afflicted

Loved:
    • Sunn Concert Lead head.
    • Fender Princeton 65 (with a volume box in the effects loop).
    • Fender Pro 185 (with the variable level effects loop jumpered, to use the variable level pot as a master volume).
    • Fender Champion 20.
    • (Bass) GK 400RB.
    • (Bass) Fender Rumble 40.
    • (Bass) Hartke B60.
    • Behringer 30 watt 1x10 combo.
    • Behringer 100 watt 2x12 combo.
    Meh:
    • Fender Mustang I v.2.
    • (Bass) Acoustic 136 1x15 combo.
    • PolyTone combo.
    Hated:
    • Kay Vanguard.
    • Crate 15 watt.
    • Line 6 Spyder 15 watt.
    • Blackstar Fly3 Stereo Pack.
    • Laney Linebacker 100.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.