Solid State amp you've known and loved,,, or hated,

Discussion in 'Modeling Amps, Plugins and Apps' started by ASATKat, Oct 17, 2020 at 3:32 PM.

1. Ed Driscoll

Ed Driscoll Tele-Holic

My first electric guitar, a Hondo Les Paul copy, plugged into first amp, a Marshall Lead 12. I miss the old amp a bit:

[​IMG]

ChickenKiller, MilwMark and gridlock like this.
  2. TG

TG Doctor of Teleocity

I've not had a tube amp for years. A Cube60 became my main gigging amp for a long time and now I've got a Roland JC22.
    I only play clean so a good sound wherever the volume is set from a reliable and not too heavy amp is all I want.

ChickenKiller and brookdalebill like this.
  3. gridlock

gridlock Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I don’t own this, put I am considering buying a used Orange CR60 PRO.

Seems like a really good SS amp. Not for $550 new, but I’ve seen them in the low $300’s used. Maybe an SS amp that I could love.

Anyone try the CR60?

2F5ED6AC-2C7E-4CF1-9106-18F3500D0350.jpeg

brookdalebill likes this.
  4. Jazzerclean

Jazzerclean Tele-Meister

IMG_20201007_163543311.jpg
    As someone else said, there was definately something wrong with it which is a shame as you would have loved it fully functional. I have a 1987 JC55 with 2x8s and the bass response is huge with 2x8s, yours had 2x10s. Mine is an absolute tone machine as a fully working JC77 would be also.

i play jazz with archtops or a tele or two and the bass has to be there and it sure is on my JC55. In fact I can't have the bass more than half way at 12 o'clock which is perfect. Evident on Youtube vids on the range of JC's.
    Great clean headroom and takes all pedals really well.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2020 at 2:30 AM
    MilwMark likes this.
  5. Peegoo

Peegoo Friend of Leo's

Quilter Aviator 1x8 combo here. Two channels (100 watts each), enclosed cabinet, great clean and dirty tones, killer reverb, totally giggable...blisteringly loud if necessary. Smaller than a Princeton Reverb and only 25 lbs. Love it.

[​IMG]

6. guitarist232345

guitarist232345 Tele-Meister

The Marshall MGs are nice. Also I recently tried a VOX AC30 Solid State 100 and the thing sounded amazing. So 'full' for a solid state amp, but I cannot find them anywhere! Does the Cambridge series sound like that?

One noteworthy observation is that tubes are seen as this unicorn. Yes, they sound great but in the context of a full mix many people won't be able to tell the difference in a crowd Only guitar geeks will. For cheapness and a lack of maintenance SS is probably best unless you play in a big band.

brookdalebill likes this.
  7. Bri-Sonic

Bri-Sonic Tele-Meister

I've read through the whole thread and I'm surprised not to see more mentions of Tech 21. I bought a Trademark 60 when they first came out and still love it to bits. It sounds magnificent, and I've just scored one of their Power Engine extension cabs on eBay for silly money. Can't wait to pick it up and give it a rumble.

Shango66 and DOC DYA like this.
  8. 63telemaster

63telemaster Tele-Meister

Sessionette 75 MKI from early eighties. Mine has lived a hard life having the power module and speaker changed but still delivers when needed. Last gigged it with my HX Stomp straight into the fx return and quite honestly sounded as good as anything I've played through.

I've had some great amps over the years, mostly tube but the Sessionette will always be around.

bsc58 and Heimdall like this.
  9. Thin white duke

Thin white duke Friend of Leo's

Same with my old JC 77, Japan made from 1987, it was great, i miss it sometimes...:cry::cry:

Jazzerclean and MilwMark like this.
  10. Ebidis

Ebidis Tele-Afflicted

If modeling amps count, my Fender Mustangs are great. Line 6 Spyder IV 30 watt, not so much.

Preacher, ChickenKiller and Rocky058 like this.
  11. loopfinding

loopfinding Tele-Meister

baldwin c1 - germanium transistor solid state. the willie nelson amp. pretty good clean tone. sort of interesting distortion tone. not loved, but neat. i bought it in an antique store for 100 dollars.

mid 80s ampeg solid state 2x12, blue&black grill. not much info, can't remember the model, was a friend's. dirt channel got the job done for sabbathy type stuff.

sunn beta lead - i've borrowed these at shows. they get the job done for heavy stuff.

marshal mg 100 dfx - hate this whole line. absolute trash. marshall should be ashamed of themselves.

i've considered a jc-120 at points for experimental and electronic stuff where i'm not really looking for a traditional guitar tone. also can be cool for 80s boogie stuff.

also disagree with "for the jazzers." yeah, if you want to sound like pat metheny or something. "modern" jazz. but you're not going to get the sound of the 50s and 60s. frankly i think it's a damn shame that a solid state amp and like a floating parallel bucker was the peer pressure choice for so long. thankfully people are coming around now.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2020 at 7:26 AM
  12. Anacharsis

Anacharsis Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

Solid state amps I have and love playing:

JC-22
    JC-40
    3 Blues Cube Hot*
    THR100HD
    Nextone Stage
    Crush 20

* - standard, BOSS Drive Special, and British EL84 Modified

13. Wildeman

Wildeman Tele-Meister

My first "big" amp was a wood front Crate 2x12" like this and it SUCKED! Screenshot_2020-10-18-04-41-35-1.png man, did it suck.
    I do have a couple killer SS amps now in my collection, a '80s Roland Cube 60 chorus and '80s Marshall Reverb 12. Did i mention that Crate sucked?

14. Average_Joe

Average_Joe Tele-Holic

Ha, had one the GG amps a looooooong time ago. Blew it up if memory serves.

[​IMG]

donrichfan likes this.
  15. BFcaster

BFcaster Tele-Meister

Well my first amp was a Peavey Backstage Plus. It was from the mid 80s that I got from a friend's roommate for $75. He was into punk music, so the amp had been 'personlized'. I built a new cabinet for it and covered it in tweed. Prone to have scratchy pots, even though I clean them regularly. Just last year I d/l'd the manual for it out of curiosity, and decided to try out the 'pre out/power in', so I bought a TRS splitter cable to use its effects loop, instead of guitar->pedals->amp. I should have done that sooner!! It's got headroom, great for pedals inthat loop, IMHO. Gigged with it when it was easier to move than my heavy Fender 2x12 Hot Rod DeVille. Was using it as my main practice amp for years until I bought my Monoprice 15w tube 1x12 last winter, Sorry, I'm little by little going all tube.
    peavy_tweed2.jpg

16. bftfender

bftfender Poster Extraordinaire

Saw the VS100 on CL cheap, scooped it up. Really put it through it against my amps. Recorded well & even fit it on a song. If anything the attack is brash & a slight sterile to the tone no matter what you do it. Good amp & had Marshall Lead12 mini stack same deal,, Attack means the most to me & still prefer the other amps. Roll that guitar volume around as part of my playing & the SS does not quite put back what you put in to me. My situation is always at band levels tho.. so a bunch of goodness happens with an amp cooking & using the volume of a given circuit coming up to normal playing levels as amps were made to perform that way, not a linear flat line tone from 0 to 10.
    VS100.jpg

17. Old Deaf Roadie

Old Deaf Roadie Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Way back in the late 70's-early 80's, my high school had a Standell 2-chan twin I would be interested in having. Handled both bass & guitar nicely.

18. codamedia

codamedia Poster Extraordinaire

My '83 PV Special 130 can hold it's own.... anywhere, any time, any style...
    It's loud enough to complete with any other amps on stage (and wins) while the mid shift allows me to shape the tone for any project.

JRapp, brookdalebill and Telecastoff1 like this.
  19. mkdaws32

mkdaws32 Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

Huh. I loved the huge lush stereo chorus. The cleans were great, but I usually play with slight breakup to moderate crunch. I certainly would have used more gain back then with a TubeScreamer type pedal. It was probably just a terrible match for the style I played at the time. It was a long time ago and I would’t mind trying one again - probably would suit me better these days. Plus I know much more about dialing in my tone. It could have been the pedal’s fault for robbing all the bass.

Glad to hear yours is working out. I’ve heard champs with 8” speakers with gorgeous bass, so I know small speakers can do it!

Jazzerclean likes this.
  20. Cali Dude

Cali Dude Tele-Holic

All of them. I haven't played through a non tube amp that I liked.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.