Solid State amp you've known and loved,,, or hated,

Discussion in 'Modeling Amps, Plugins and Apps' started by ASATKat, Oct 17, 2020 at 3:32 PM.

1. xtelesquirex

xtelesquirex Tele-Meister

My only solid state amp at the moment is a Peavey bass amp that I use for bass(duh!) and my synthesizers.

I am super curious about the BluGuitar Amp1. Small, light weight, and allegedly has really good versatile sounds.

These days light weight and low maintenance are the key words for me. My back doesn't like heads, cabinets, and heavy combos anymore.

2. glenlivet

glenlivet Tele-Holic

Fender Harvard Reverb II
    ...paired with a Joyo American Sound, and fed into an Monoprice 15 Watt (not SS) via the FX loops..absolutely great for low volume home playing, and yet can get plenty loud if needed. The Harvard keeps the standard "Fender" sound, and the Joyo can be used to add some bass, depth and voice to the Monoprice. It's a pretty wicked little rig, with a lot of different sounds.
    Oh....and a Pathfinder 15R.

3. Nahtabot

Nahtabot Tele-Meister

Took a while to warm up to this one. It's a keeper.

IMG_0018.JPG

mexicanyella likes this.
  4. jackal

jackal Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Evans Custom Amps are the ticket for me. I use the head version with various speaker cabs loaded with Lil Texas, Red Fang, or both. Widest tonal range I've heard and the most twang when wanted. I've had twins, deluxes, many other tube and solid state amps, but Evans beats them all.

JRapp and brookdalebill like this.
  5. mexicanyella

mexicanyella Tele-Afflicted

I would love to try an Evans someday.

JRapp likes this.
  6. Jazzerclean

Jazzerclean Tele-Meister

Yup, same here, 40 years of playing starting with SS, to every tube amp known at the time now back to SS. The Pathy's do it all for me now. IMG_20200806_141605054.jpg

7. beyer160

beyer160 Friend of Leo's

I think the key is finding SS amps that are their own thing, and aren't marketed as a soundalike for a specific tube amp. I A/B'd the Tonemaster Twin against a tube reissue and the difference was not subtle. Not that the TM was bad, but it wasn't the same. I was also excited to try an Orange CR120, which is supposed to be a SS version of the Rockerverb. The CR120 didn't work for me at all so I waited until I found a good deal on a used Rockerverb, which is a phenomenal amp.

Bass amps are a different story. I used to lust after '70s SVTs until Tech 21 came out with the VT Bass pedal- I play that thing through my solid state AMP BH420 and never look back.

I had a Gorilla guitar amp in high school, and it sucked too.

donrichfan likes this.
  8. Jazzerclean

Jazzerclean Tele-Meister

IMG_20201007_163543311.jpg
    40 years of playing starting with SS, then every valve amp known at the time and back to SS.

Just converted a tiny 15 watt SS mik combo with a destroyed speaker into a head, (ready for a dumpster). Top left of picture. I cut the cab down making it a mini Marshall style head adding an external speaker jack socket.

Well I plugged it in to a 1x12 and Whoah, omg. I get everything from warm clean to Plexi to JCM800.

The combo cost $10 and has become a favorite amp. Now in a head format that is so versatile. If you didn't see what it was and went by sound only, you'd say valve all day long through the 1x12 cab.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2020 at 10:37 PM
  9. dlaroe

dlaroe Tele-Meister

Wow, like lots of people I'm digging into the past for SS gear for use in 2020. A 50w Bandit and an Award/SESSION JD10 fill in the louder/quieter and silent/direct holes that small tube amps can't easily fill.

10. Engine Swap

Engine Swap Tele-Holic

My Ploytone Mini Brute, GK 400RB, and Lab L5, all have a place and a time.

brookdalebill and paulblackford like this.
  11. saleake

saleake TDPRI Member

I’m currently using two Fender Tone Master Deluxe Reverbs in my country band. Highly recommended!

Lockback and COOPSTER like this.
  12. Mr Perch

Mr Perch Tele-Afflicted

When I saw him live, he was using some sort of big Acoustic. I like Acoustic amps. Over the past 3 or 4 years I have been using one of their baby models for rehearsals and jam sessions:
    [​IMG]
    ...and it is great for the money, with a very "tubular" sort of response on both the clean and dirt channels. But for rehearsals it doesn't have the headroom I need. So I moved on to a Mustang LT50, which is plenty loud and super tweakable. I am still getting acquainted with it. The solo tone is not as sweet as my Dean Markley all-tube amp, but it does do interesting tricks -- when you program in a fair mount of gain, it sustains like an organ tone.

[​IMG]

13. SomeGuyNamedRob

SomeGuyNamedRob Tele-Meister

The Audition series was even worse.

14. boppy

boppy Tele-Meister

My tube amp (Fender Champ 12) is in the shop for repairs, so I'm messing around with a couple of solid-state backups I have; a VOX Pathfinder 15r, and a Fender Sidekick Reverb 30. Love 'em both.

dlaroe likes this.
  15. drumtime

drumtime Tele-Holic

Original Roland Blues Cube 60, Peavey Backstage Plus, and a ZT Lunchbox. I like all of them. The BC60 is great, but too heavy. The Peavey is loud and can also sound really good. The ZT gets the most use away from home. I'm about to get a DV Mark 12" cab for it. If there is ever gigging again, I'll use that combination.

brookdalebill likes this.
  16. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Another Jazz Chorus fan.

I love my JC40. Great dirt.

Bandmate used a JC77.

If your Jazz Chorus is thin and lacks low end, take it to a tech, because something is wrong with it.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2020 at 9:14 AM
  17. PastorJay

PastorJay Tele-Afflicted

Jazz Chorus. Bought it in 89 I think. Good for acoustic guitar with chorus. Or really clean electric. Could turn into a monster with the right pedal (I liked the blue tube with the real tube inside) or the right processor in front of it. Still have the amp. Not the blue tube or the processor.

brookdalebill likes this.
  18. bendercaster

bendercaster Tele-Afflicted

I've had three really nice sounding solid state amps -- a Fender Princeton 65, a Vox Pathfinder 15r, and a Roland Jazz Chorus 40.

The first two developed a really bad hum, and because they were solid state, I couldn't find anyone that was willing to work on them. The Jazz Chorus was amazing, but we lost our practice space, and I didn't have room for it and my Vox AC15 in my tiny office space. The AC15 is my all time favorite, so I couldn't get rid of it. But I wish I could have kept both. Someday, when I have more space, I'd love to get another Jazz Chorus. And maybe a Deluxe Reverb.

There are some great sounding solid state amps out there. They have their advantages too. For example, the JC40 was low noise and pretty much always sounded the same--it didn't have to get cooking to sound great, it didn't sound crappy if the power was weird. And holy crap was it light compared to the Vox. But what do I know, I kept the Vox.

19. gridlock

gridlock Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

No love or hate for my only solid state amp, but my little Marshall Lead 12 with a Greenback sounds pretty good for what it is.

36DCD49A-7C37-4C1B-ABC0-CE6584DD83F2.jpeg
    FBFEF8EA-2C34-4633-B291-E5F13A76ECEE.jpeg

MilwMark and Ed Driscoll like this.
  20. bendercaster

bendercaster Tele-Afflicted

My JC40 was a bass machine, especially on raised foundation hard wood floors. But the on-board eq is very sensitive and useful--Just a killer amp.

MilwMark and Anacharsis like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.