Solid State amp you've known and loved,,, or hated,

jamieorc

Tele-Holic

kinda expensive though

Unfortunately, those videos give a horrible impression of the great sound of these amps. I don't know what those guys did to record them, but sheesh. On my Gold Estoc, plug in and get a great sound. No twiddling needed, just setting quickly. Even so, there is great versatility. Clean? Yes. Crunch? Yes. Distortion? Yes. Marshall? Fender? Vox? Boogie? Yes, though of course just in the ballpark, not a duplicate. More of those characters and great sounding.

Titch

TDPRI Member
I had a Roland Blues Cube Artist 1x12 which was a good sounding amp, I still have a first generation Fender Cyber Twin which I gig now and again.

Lef T

Tele-Afflicted
I've owned a Blues Cube Stage.
I used it for jamming and band rehearsals.
I should have kept it.
I just took this moment to type that I'm playing my Tele into my Champ 20.
It's my living room setup.
This little Champ sounds so nice at living room levels.
I add a little of the onboard reverb and delay and it really sounds sweet.
I read all these posts where guys are agonizing over high end low watt amps for home playing
and with my cheap little Champ I know it's working because I'm playing and grinning(yes,both at the same time).

Jim622

Friend of Leo's
I may have posted on here before, but it is worth repeating.

Tech 21 Trademark 60. Mine 20+ and still going strong.

boxocrap

Tele-Afflicted
Seems solid state amps never went away, they've integrated in ways with digital and tubes amps.

What are your thoughts on solid state in 2020?
my thoughts..i had /have a gallien kruger amp i bought in seattle. a solid state ( transistor amp) i bought many many years ago. it was a very interesting amp way ahead of it's time with ch. switching, current limiter and 2 12" speakers also switchable between 4 and 8 ohms with a footswitch for the ch switching ,reverb and vibrato.it had a reasonably decent clean sound (ch a) but a very bad overdrive (ch b). compared to say any tube amp at the time..it sounded like crap very fuzzy and kind of a square wave distortion to it on ch.b.it wasn't broken either. i paid about 1/3 less than a twin reverb would have cost .i should have bought the twin.i still have the preamp section and took the speakers out of it after the power stage blew out.i could not get the proprietary parts anywhere to fix it and no substitutions. preamp (ch a) is extremely clean and noiseless and works fine for bass guitar into the recording board so it wasn't a total loss. i know tech has changed since then but i'll stay with tube powered stuff. it has a certain "something" i like that i have never found in anything solid state.

boxocrap

Tele-Afflicted
My very first guitar amp... circa 1974...

A Sears Silvertone "Mini Stack".
This is what the head looked like...
Fond memories of this amp, along with the Silvertone guitar I picked out of the catalog.

View attachment 775737

Here's a pic of a similar amp, the Audition with it's 2X8 cab.
The Silvertone was nearly identical.

View attachment 775738

...and a Kingston version...

View attachment 775739
If it ain't broke, I'll fix it until it is. haha true enough

Craig Williams

Tele-Meister
Been a Fender valve guy all my life. Mainly Deluxes, Super Reverbs, Twins and a Vibrosonic. I bought a very cheap 80's Roland JC60 in mint condition. Always wanted a JC120 and my expectations of this were low, thinking it wouldn't be nearly the same with single speaker. Blew me away. Such a nice warm tone. The Chorus is lush. Even the OD is useable. Mine is an RP version I think this means Roland / Pioneer speaker. I liked it so much I sold my Super Reverb. It's in no way better than the Super but $1500 for the Super VS $200 for the Roland am very happy with it. I have had quite a few SS amps in the past, ones with good reputations but never came close to doing it for me or standing out in the mix. This JC does it all with clarity and authority. Never been disappointed with anything I ever bought had the Roland / Boss badge

gridlock

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
I’m pretty fond of my little Marshall Lead-12. Plus, my wife bought it for me when she saw me eyeing it in my favorite music store.

69AE9FD9-9474-484F-BA8A-2948D49C7193.jpeg

Ash Telecaster

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
I've had a few.

Roland 1x12, from the Jazz Chorus family. Nice cleans but didn't like my dirt pedals with it.

Small Cube amp that sounded amazing as a little practice amp. I sold it as I wasn't using it. Not because it wasn't good but because I had a couple small tube amps I tended to gravitate to more.

Tech 21 1x12. I don't recall the model but never bonded with it.

Toneblock and matching cab. Totally hated it. It was loud and light but I couldn't coax a good sound out it. Next to zero high frequency capability and what little it did have sounded like poop. I tried hard with that one but it was impossible.

Boss Waza Air. Great headphone practice rig. Love it, sounds spectacular.

Tonemaster Super Reverb. Love it. Not really 100% imitation but sounds great and capable of gig volumes, or practice volumes.

Lastly using a QSC CP8 as an frfr with a Pod Go. Works great. Definitely a good buy.

scottser

Friend of Leo's
Hughes & Kettner Tour Reverb 50w 112. It had an unbelievable clean sound, perfect for the soul/funk/reggae band i was in. I think it cost me less than 100 euro 2nd hand, gigged it a couple of times a month for 2 years.
Great amp.

fender4life

Friend of Leo's
2 worse SS amps i have ever played thru are a peavey pacer and a carvin sx200. OMG. If those were my only choices i would literally quit playing electric guitar. No idea how anyone could buy and enjoy those amps. Best are 80's marshall SS amps like the lead 12 and the 20 and 30 watters i believe were called master lead and the trademark 60.

I don't know if u meant SS including digital modeling but if so my # 1 would be my current GTX100 combo. But those 80s marshalls were incredible for marshall tone. I think they did that better then the GTX does marshall. Hell, for that matter i also thought they did marshall sound better then the tube versions of the 800 series ! Crazy as it sounds, they sounded more like the quintessential marshall tone than their tube amps did unless you had a stack cranked full up. They seemed to recreate that at normal volumes.